SAU Community

5 Speed Tiptronic In C34 Stag.

deanoss

Imagine a 5 speed tiptronic in a c34. That to me would make the series 2 complete. Anyone thought about/looked into the possibility?

M35 / 350 z spares must be coming online?

Maybe Im :huh: but seems like it is a really worthwhile mod. Wadda u think?

G`day this has all ready been talked about on 30 march trans upgrade. Why few think it`s the go many don`t seem to care or are not interested.I have been talking to few shop`s about this & it wll work but at WHAT COST ???,cheer`s chuckie

Have you seen the physical size of the 5 speed? Apart from the fact that it is made to bolt up to a V6, the bloody thing is MASSIVE compared to the C34 box. Not having closely examined the possibilty myself, I cant say for certain, but I can imagine that the trans tunnel would need a fair bit of modifications, shifter position and connection would need to be looked at, you would need to look closely at the departure angles for the front and rear driveshafts, position (and size) of the transfer case, attessa ecu compatibility, the list goes on and on.

this is why there isn't much interest in it.

Have you seen the physical size of the 5 speed? Apart from the fact that it is made to bolt up to a V6, the bloody thing is MASSIVE compared to the C34 box. Not having closely examined the possibilty myself, I cant say for certain, but I can imagine that the trans tunnel would need a fair bit of modifications, shifter position and connection would need to be looked at, you would need to look closely at the departure angles for the front and rear driveshafts, position (and size) of the transfer case, attessa ecu compatibility, the list goes on and on.

this is why there isn't much interest in it.

Thanks for that. Explains a lot

gtr manual conversion = 6 speed :)

and it would be cheaper,, not shure if a gtr box would bolt on to the rb25... anyone?

No if i wanted manual i would own one but i want auto that`s why i have auto :D play with clutch every day :down::sick: 5 speed tip would be sweet ,if you want manual con speak to BRAD :merli::):3some: ,thank`s jippa,we can all come over do on week :woot: end :yes: i cookthe BBQ :ninja: if you like ,cheer`s dude .

would be keen as but i have warranty on the car that covers the auto box.. maybe when that runs out in 4 years and i still have the stag.. would love a 6 speed though . mmmmmmm 6 speed :)

dont get me wrong,i still like the auto for cruiseability

As someone that's owned both (owned a s2 stagea with 4sp tiptronic for 2 years and now own a M35 with 5sp), I think it would be wise to actually drive a M35 before assuming that the 5sp auto would be automatically better than the 4sp.

Before I bought my M35 I thought the 5speed auto would be one of the killer features. But as it turns out its actually starting to frustrate me a little. I'm pretty sure my gearbox is badly in need of a service, so dont take my experience too seriously, however I would be interested in what other M35 owners have to say.

Firstly, my previous stagea did have a shift kit (MV automatics in SA) installed so that does shift the balance in its favour already. That 4speed with the shift kit was the best auto I have ever driven. Gear shifts were near-instant and quite snappy. Just a small movement of my right foot and it would kick down very quickly - which was great for changing lanes to get out from behind slow drivers (not that I do this often).

However, my M35 is almost the opposite. Its ok once it actually starts moving, but if I jam my foot to the floor from when the car is stopped, it takes at least 2 seconds to even start moving - its as if it actually jumps into neutral when not moving and then has to find 1st gear again. Then 1st gear is actually very short so it runs out of puff very quickly, before hitting 2nd and I find 2nd is where it really starts to move. The later gears seem ok. The gear changes are completely different to the 4speed - I wonder if this is due to the car being drive-by-wire?? allowing it to blip the throttle much more effectively during gear changes?

Overall the M35 drives very nice but occasionally I find myself wishing for my old 4speed auto back. Due to the slower gear changes, the extra gear means even more time spent changing gears. This is something I hadn't thought of before. The kickdown is also very slow. If I plant my foot in order to overtake, its a good 2+ seconds before it actually changes gear, and even then it seems to be so loaded up at this point (since it hits full boost at the same time) that it really doesn't go all that quick, certainly not as quick as its capable of.

When cruising at constant speed, it feels like the gearbox disconnects or something - maybe someone could help me understand this? As soon as I touch the throttle again, ie. to just ease the speed up a little if it starts slowing down, its like the gearbox has to re-engage which you can feel through the whole car. I dont know if any of this relates to the drive-by-wire or just the transmission...but its little things like these that make me a bit disappointed with the 5speed auto.

Dont get me wrong, the car is still nice to drive - and the above is just little things I've picked up - when compared to my old 4speed auto stagea.

So yeah whilst it is a nice concept to have 1 more gear in your stagea, I think in practice it may be otherwise since the two gearboxes are VERY different (at least to drive).

I welcome any further feedback on this from other M35 owners. Hopefully my experience is due to a fault somewhere along the line since I would like to improve the M35 gearbox behaviour if possible.

i find the gearbox sluggish too, mostly on kick-backs at low speed. ie, cruising in traffic at aroun 15km/h ill put my foot to the floor as i pull into the lane next to me, but it takes SO f**kING LONG to kick-down that the car i almost cut off has had to brake so they dont hit me. then it find the gear it was after and powers off. in traffic now i use the tiptronic and keep it in 1st so i can perform said manouvers safely.

maybe due to the higher power and torque over the RB25 that it needs to be more gentle with shifting so nothing down the driveline is broken or prematurely wears out?? thats my theory anyway lol

while the car is moving, i rekon the gearbox is perfect - on my car anyway - except for a problem i put it in for last week.

i love my manual c34, i much rather it than an auto...

well i like my AUTO THAT`S WHY I BROUGHT ONE :) ,if i had wanted manual i would have found one ,great work Alex.if you don`t have any thing good to add to this then PLEASE POST in right thread thank you .cheer`s chuckie.

well i like my AUTO THAT`S WHY I BROUGHT ONE :) ,if i had wanted manual i would have found one ,great work Alex.if you don`t have any thing good to add to this then PLEASE POST in right thread thank you .cheer`s chuckie.

fk off idiot i was just posting my opinion, go stitch up a dash mat or something

While it`s nice to see you post some good comment would be helpful :thumbsup: ,speaking to few lad`s tiptronic may not like rb30set up :D ,but will keep ASKING question`s see what can be done .cheer`s chuckie.

Great to see there are lots of different people in the world! Good things to consider here. Shift kit sounds like the go. For m35 s and c34 s. I love my tiptronic too.! Why buy a commodore

As someone that's owned both (owned a s2 stagea with 4sp tiptronic for 2 years and now own a M35 with 5sp), I think it would be wise to actually drive a M35 before assuming that the 5sp auto would be automatically better than the 4sp.

Before I bought my M35 I thought the 5speed auto would be one of the killer features. But as it turns out its actually starting to frustrate me a little. I'm pretty sure my gearbox is badly in need of a service, so dont take my experience too seriously, however I would be interested in what other M35 owners have to say.

Firstly, my previous stagea did have a shift kit (MV automatics in SA) installed so that does shift the balance in its favour already. That 4speed with the shift kit was the best auto I have ever driven. Gear shifts were near-instant and quite snappy. Just a small movement of my right foot and it would kick down very quickly - which was great for changing lanes to get out from behind slow drivers (not that I do this often).

However, my M35 is almost the opposite. Its ok once it actually starts moving, but if I jam my foot to the floor from when the car is stopped, it takes at least 2 seconds to even start moving - its as if it actually jumps into neutral when not moving and then has to find 1st gear again. Then 1st gear is actually very short so it runs out of puff very quickly, before hitting 2nd and I find 2nd is where it really starts to move. The later gears seem ok. The gear changes are completely different to the 4speed - I wonder if this is due to the car being drive-by-wire?? allowing it to blip the throttle much more effectively during gear changes?

Overall the M35 drives very nice but occasionally I find myself wishing for my old 4speed auto back. Due to the slower gear changes, the extra gear means even more time spent changing gears. This is something I hadn't thought of before. The kickdown is also very slow. If I plant my foot in order to overtake, its a good 2+ seconds before it actually changes gear, and even then it seems to be so loaded up at this point (since it hits full boost at the same time) that it really doesn't go all that quick, certainly not as quick as its capable of.

When cruising at constant speed, it feels like the gearbox disconnects or something - maybe someone could help me understand this? As soon as I touch the throttle again, ie. to just ease the speed up a little if it starts slowing down, its like the gearbox has to re-engage which you can feel through the whole car. I dont know if any of this relates to the drive-by-wire or just the transmission...but its little things like these that make me a bit disappointed with the 5speed auto.

Dont get me wrong, the car is still nice to drive - and the above is just little things I've picked up - when compared to my old 4speed auto stagea.

So yeah whilst it is a nice concept to have 1 more gear in your stagea, I think in practice it may be otherwise since the two gearboxes are VERY different (at least to drive).

I welcome any further feedback on this from other M35 owners. Hopefully my experience is due to a fault somewhere along the line since I would like to improve the M35 gearbox behaviour if possible.

Yep.

If you mash the accelerator the computer will take a second (or 2) to Think. Select. Engage. It is due to the drive-by-wire.

The key is to squeeze the accelerator... and plan sightly in advance where you want to go and who you want to pass.

Try taking ~2 seconds from "no foot" to "foot to the floor". I think you will find it is more responsive that way (odd, I know).

If I use that technique, I get some pretty good gear changes.

Yes it seems that 1st gear was only there to build torque for 2nd gear, but I would disagree that it is "breathless".

Have you opened up your airbox? Got a decent filter? Installed a 3" exhaust?

MV Automatics do not do a shift kit for the M35 :P .... not yet anyway.

they did a gearbox oil flush while my car was at the dealer, it almost feels like a new car again. very smooth and that 'lag' isnt as bad now. maybe some of you need to perform oil changes?