SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

Hey guys was just wondering if anyone knows something about venting battery in the boot? When i went thru regency they told me that it needs to be vented but have no idea how :S

This is easy to answer, it is illegal to have a venting battery inside the car unless it is vented to the outside.
You either have to buy a battery that has provisions to attach a tube that can vent to the outside of the car, through one of the bungs in the bottom of the spare wheel well.

Or
Buy a fully enclosed battery that does not vent, such as an optima. Carbon34 may know of more batteries you can use.

I believe you can also enclose the battery with a case and have that venting to the outside.
What battery do you currently have?

Just checked the battery out for you, and unfortunately it will not pass.

You will need a AGM or dry cell battery like i mentioned earlier, Optima or Odessy.

Unless it has ventilation holes in it.

I have to second this - the Optima batteries in particular are awesome. I've had the same one for 4 years and it still doesnt miss a beat - even after multiple discharges to zero volts

-D

They are on the slightly expensive side, however they are well worth it.
Unless you like rust i wouldn't recommend anything else, especially after what my century did to the back of my car. Thankfully it cleaned up fine.

Yea a marine battery is similar to what i have mentioned, i am certain all of the Optima Batteries are fully sealed and do not ventilate.

Just change the terminals on the cables that you have so that you can take the regular sized ones instead of the shitty small Japanese ones.

Edited by Grimesy

I'm in the same boat, HICAS hasn't given me any issues so I've left it as is.

If you don't track/drift 90% of the time imo having it is better, nice turning circle and means you can smash roundabouts at 60, providing of course your bushes aren't screwed, then it can feel a bit sloppy.

• 2 months later...

Im surprised at Regency they dont check for straight through cats considering how many people have them and the fine for not having a cat is huge! All they would need to do is send a flexible cord through the rear exhaust and if it goes straight through the cat...then busted.. Hopefully they dont tho

still no one is stupid to go over the pits with a bashed out stock cat either

what if the brought the car and didnt even know about it. Thats what im saying i dont even think regency check it which youd think they would

If that is the last of your worries than you are sitting pretty sweet. They will find a million other things wrong with the car before they bother to even look at your exhaust

Oh cool. Next time I get done I won't bother putting my stock cat back in, ill just use an oxy torch to heat my decat up til its red hot and see what happens.