SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

So I went to the shops last weekend to get 6 potatoes which I had forgot the day before, and I was pulled over by 2 bike cops on the side of the road not even 1km from my house. Attitude right from the start, gave me a bretho, no worries. Then he looked at the rear tyres and they were on the wear indicator, he said "that's no good", then asked me to test my horn which works.

Then he said there was a heap of smoke coming out the exhaust. He walked around the car again, the whole time I was in the car and he came back with a defect notice. Major defect. Rear tyres and exessive smoke. I was polite to him the whole time and played their game. I got out the car and asked him where the smoke was as there wasn't any. He pointed to the exhaust and said "there!" I put my hand over the exhaust, nothing. So he gets in my car and revs the crap out of it and a small puff of black smoke (running a little rich and was still cold) and he said "point proven, I rest my case".

So off to Regency I go, again. I've been 4 times since owning the car so I know roughly what I need to change back to stock. I have coilovers but they weren't set low so it was not obvious however I will be putting standard springs and struts back in. I don't have any springs, I have the struts. Does anyone suggest where I can pick some up from for cheap?

I'm 36, studying at uni and don't have the money for one trip let alone a second trip to regency.

Apparently the speeding fine for up to 15km over has been reduced to $150 and 2 demerit points, but a trip to regency is now $259 for the first visit. What the hell. They are targeting imports and it doesn't matter if you have a clean record or are old. The system is cooked.

Welcome to my world mate.

WTF major defect for having tyres that are on the wear indicator marks? How badly worn out are they? Recently hit the wear indicator or has it been on that for a while? I have seen pieces of junk blowing out more than enough smoke and they never seem to get pinged for that. I still can't believe that you got a major defect - ie full inspection.

Just a money making scheme, I think.

Just hit the wear indicators, so like the tread was in line with the indicators. Full inspection it is :(

Like I said, they are clearly targeting imports.

Money making scheme?? Do you think? It seriously boils my blood!

Go to your local police station with new tyres and see what they say, they will most likely clear it. Going to regency for blowing smoke is a load of shit and I wouldn't accept that.

Can they actually clear it, as in remove the defect? I thought about doing this but didnt think I had a chance.

Its in the ADR under the defect section, i dont remember the exact phrase but its along the lines of "A defect can be modifed or removed at any time by an authorised officer" so maybe go to the cop shop and try your luck

Its in the ADR under the defect section, i dont remember the exact phrase but its along the lines of "A defect can be modifed or removed at any time by an authorised officer" so maybe go to the cop shop and try your luck

Where can I get a copy of the ADR's?

Also from memory: anything emissions related I was under the impression that they cannot make an evaluation/test until the car is upto its operating temperature. I also remember reading that this is the case for a dB exhaust noise level test.

Majority (if not all!!!) cars would fail an emissions test (regardless of what the emission looks like) when operating on cold start.

Can they actually clear it, as in remove the defect? I thought about doing this but didnt think I had a chance.

They can but usually won't, however if you present yourself well and it is technically a minor defect then you often get away with it. If you car is lowered on its ass, super loud and obviously modified though no chance.

Take this opportunity to get it up to scratch so you can pass regency everytime.

My r32 as an R34 neo making 260rwkw and it passed regency like that, you just have to make everything look stock and be safe.

Whys it is great to know your mods, your car and the ADR's......

I was with my brother as a passenger in his STI WRX driving down Bridge road and for a change he was driving like an adult even though he is 30+ years old.... when for no reason we get lit up and pulled over. The reason was for an inspection of the car (His WRX does get a bit of attention from the PoPo). Well it was nice to see my little brother in action. With over 15 years in the auto industry both mechanical and high performance part supply he really does know his stuff.

Well as they picked on his mods he respectfully counter argued with each and every of the mods they questioned. He also keeps a copy of his mods and has attached the associated ADR extract pertaining to it along with reports from suspension, emission and decibel readings etc etc etc. Well after some 20 minutes on the side of the road they had nothing to say except for on your way :):):)

One of the officers even commented that he had learned some facts as well about modifications and what is legal and what is not.

The lesson of this story is... Know your vehicle, know your rights and have the evidence to back it up.... politely of course ;)

I will in the very near future create a small folder like he has and keep it in the glove box ready for the next time I get question...

I just take my most recent defect inspection report (passed lol), certificate of exemption of modification and emissions test report, once they see that they can't be bothered arguing usually and leave you alone.

you know what? i hate, i do, i hate them soho much, i cannot even begin to explain how much i hate them!

has anyone else noticed there are more actual nit wit muppets on our roads doing the wrong thing? but yet people doing the right thing in modded cars are quite literally being rapped?

for instance, since may and this is as many as i can remember, drunk old guy reverses into the front end of our old car on south tce, lady pulls a u turn on anzac highway and cuts off 3 lanes of traffic whilst on her mobile phone (she copped a large drink, too bad her window wasn't open), woman stops for no reason what so ever on beach road and my misses ran up the arse at 20km/h (woman stopped but then sat there with foot off the brake moving), woman does a uturn into the side of our old car whilst we are travelling down south rd(fighting this in court atm), woman on the phon again on west tce cuts 3 lanes to turn down grote street causing us to lock it up in the 32 last wednesday, i dobbed her into the cops and they said they would make a report...... i told them they should crush her car and jail her for a week! i was so mad i nearly jumped out the car, i was going to smash her window, take her phone and shove it some where very unpleasant!!

but my favourite was when the woman did a uturn into our car, i was leaving the dentist, face was numb, her son wanted to fight me, im on home d, ready to snap this little skinny kid in half, cops rock up and made me prove that i was allowed out, prove i just had dental work done because my numb face and slurred speach was not enough, any way long story short in the cops turned around at the end of it all cops turned around and said, infront of my misses mind you, that they were messing with us (effing with us was their term) and they just wanted to do me for something because im on home d :/

i cant wait to get my license back and let them see me driving around in the skyline what fun i will have :/ not

police need to do their actual job not just focus on one thing they have been focusing on defects since 2010 full on, they need a new thing to pick on

If you are on home detention then chances are you are a typical petty criminal feral, at least with no prior knowledge that is what the overwhelming majority of the population would assume.

It might not be fair, but you can't honestly expect any different outcome than that, people will judge you because you are on home detention, they will also judge you because you drive an r32 as statistically you are more likely to speed and have an accident, statistics don't lie so you are stuck with that image.

I realise that people judge me for driving a skyline, most people think I am a dickhead at first glance because of the typical way people drive these cars, hell I will admit I am partially responsible for the image that R32s have, but I don't complain about it because I know it is completely reasonable to pre judge skyline drivers.

well said Rolls

we have all hooned a little in our time but we're not here to debate what constitutes a hoon or a criminal because technically we are all criminals

just some people have never been caught for anything