SAU Community

The Defected Thread...

Cubes

Z32 AN GT3076 will get picked on that's about all sorry to hear you got defected

I got a green sticker from an rb20det AFM and put it on my Z32, they look identical if you do that.

GT3076 definitely will get picked up, you need a stock turbo.

To be safe I would swap it back to a

98 tune for clearance

A huge pain in the ass! why not just go through and then change it if they notice? The car isn't even running when they do the inspection so nothing to smell really.

Edited by Rolls

Nup.

What colour are the injectors, if they are bright coloured and not a dull grey/purple/black they might suspect them. Other things to check are if your intake has all the standard gear eg charcoal canister, stock recirc bov plumbed in, PCV plumbed in, POD bolted down or even better stock intake.

Obviously the turbo has to go back to stock, that is why highflows are great, mine makes 260kw and has a stock turbo housing. They won't emissions test it unless you've submitted an application to modify vehicle eg engine swap and they have put it down as a requirement, even then you get it done at a workshop (they make it up) and they sign it.

here is a great post on NS regarding defects and the law in SA

Anyone know if an on-board camera can be requested/ taken on the spot as evidence if police believe the car it was mounted in was doing something illegal?
Yes using the same powers they use to inspect heavy vehicles on board computers etc. They need a warrant if the car is in a locked garage etc, but if they have pulled you over they search and seize without any warrants.

40R—Power to search vehicle on road or certain official premises

(1) This section applies to a vehicle located at a place— (a) on a road; or ( B) in or on premises occupied or owned by a public authority, whether or not the vehicle is unattended.

(2) An authorised officer or police officer may search a vehicle for compliance purposes, if the officer believes on reasonable grounds that— (a) the vehicle has been used, is being used, or is likely to be used, in the commission of an Australian road law offence or in the commission of a breach of an approved road transport compliance scheme; or ( B) the vehicle has been or may have been involved in an accident.

(3) The officer may form the necessary belief during or after an inspection or independently of an inspection.

(4) The officer may enter the vehicle for the purpose of or in connection with conducting the search.

(5) The officer may exercise powers under this section at any time, and without the consent of the driver or other person apparently in charge of the vehicle or any other person.

(6) Without limiting the above, the power to search a vehicle under this section includes any or all of the following: (a) the power to search for evidence of an Australian road law offence or a breach of an approved road transport compliance scheme; ( B) the power to search for and inspect any records, devices or other things that relate to the vehicle or any part of its equipment or load and that are located in or on the vehicle; © the power to take copies of or extracts from any or all of the following: (i) any records that are located in or on the vehicle and that are required to be carried in or on the vehicle under an Australian road law or under an approved road transport compliance scheme; (ii) any transport documentation or journey documentation located in or on the vehicle; (iii) any other records, or any readout or other data obtained from any device or thing, located in or on the vehicle that the officer believes on reasonable grounds provide, or may on further inspection provide, evidence of an Australian road law offence or a breach of an approved road transport compliance scheme; (d) any powers that may be exercised during an inspection of a vehicle under section 40Q(5).

(7) The power to search a vehicle under this section does not include a power to search a person.

(8) The officer may seize and remove any records, devices or other things from the vehicle that the officer believes on reasonable grounds provide, or may on further inspection provide, evidence of an Australian road law offence or a breach of an approved road transport compliance scheme. (9) The officer may use reasonable force in the exercise of powers under this section.

coz it got defected for turbo so of course theyre gonna check all that stuff

lol the pin count? dude most of them wouldn't know what a Z32 is let alone the colour sticker and especially not the pin count!

They certainly don't usually check it! I went through for putting an RB25DET in my R32 and it specifically said "standard intake, injection and computer system" so they were instructed to check mine and they didn't pick it. During a normal defect inspection it isn't something they would normally consider, they would just glance over it.

Hell I went through with a 260kw highflow and they just asked me if it had been rebuilt as it looked so clean and shiny, I said "yeah its a reconditioned stocker" and that was it.

^^ how neat was his loom spliced in if it looked factory with a green sticker why would they look @ pins my guess is it wasnt

It was professionally done Steve.

coz it got defected for turbo so of course theyre gonna check all that stuff

Spot on.

lol the pin count? dude most of them wouldn't know what a Z32 is let alone the colour sticker and especially not the pin count!

They certainly don't usually check it! I went through for putting an RB25DET in my R32 and it specifically said "standard intake, injection and computer system" so they were instructed to check mine and they didn't pick it. During a normal defect inspection it isn't something they would normally consider, they would just glance over it.

Hell I went through with a 260kw highflow and they just asked me if it had been rebuilt as it looked so clean and shiny, I said "yeah its a reconditioned stocker" and that was it.

Good luck going through now mate. They seem to have changed/hired new inspectors who actually now (sadly for us) know what they are looking for. You could be lucky and get a inspector who maybe overlooks these things.

When's the last time you went through mate? This happened all of two weeks ago and that's exactly what happened, they picked the z32 straight away.

Did you change the Z32 sticker to the green one?

It was professionally done Steve.

Spot on.

Good luck going through now mate. They seem to have changed/hired new inspectors who actually now (sadly for us) know what they are looking for. You could be lucky and get a inspector who maybe overlooks these things.

I went through about a month ago.

Interesting if they are really this clued up now.

Edited by Rolls

do you need child restraints in the rear parcel shelf of the car?

i took mine out and fitted some speaker mounts for my 6x9's they're bolted in.

also can you take the car through on e85? do they start the car up and test for noise etc? i got done for my exhaust noise.

i'm thinking of tuning it back on PULP just because it idles better and starts easier.

You need the child restraints to be accessible, you don't need the actual hooks, but you need the hole in the parcel shelf to be accessible and visible so that they could screw them in if they wanted to.

The speakers also need to be secured to the metal, they can't just be screwed in to the wood.

If you got done for exhaust noise they will most likely test it, unless it really stinks of alcohol I doubt they will notice that, personally I'd just go through and see what happens, but if you have aftermarket ECU and injectors to run the E85 they will most likely pick up on these.

You need the child restraints to be accessible, you don't need the actual hooks, but you need the hole in the parcel shelf to be accessible and visible so that they could screw them in if they wanted to.

id bet any money you wont pass like that, the dont like seeing no restraints

I've got them but don't have them easily accessible, you have to lift the parcel shelf up on my car to see them. They have let me off twice but waited for me to say I'll cut a chunk of the material out with my scissors each time before doing so.

So you definitely need them, but you might get away with them not being accessible.

Basically the part you need is the child restraint welded onto the parcel shelf, but you don't need the actual hook that screws into the hole.

it'll probably be easier to take the speakers out and just put in a parcel shelf and the hooks and go through like that.

i'd rather just go through on PULP and have my injectors tuned for PULP, they do not stand out and the rail looks stock. if you look hard enough you might see the twin lines running to one before it goes to the rail. but there isnt anything wrong with having 2 pumps is there?

its just extra fuel, if you've still got std injectors and ecu, you can have as many pumps as you want and it wont change mixtures.

the injectors if they get noticed i will just say they are replacements because the old ones were leaking. you can buy std replacements of the ones i have. and my ecu is a nistune. so its the std casing and insides with a different board i think? pretty un noticable.

would anyone have a rear parcel shelf from their R32 GTR that i could borrow?

maybe someone that has stipped their car?

What injectors do you have Mike? If they're something like the ID1000's, you're screwed, they do check. If they look the same as the standard ones, paint the tops yellow and you'll be fine, that's how I passed mine with 700cc's.

it'll probably be easier to take the speakers out and just put in a parcel shelf and the hooks and go through like that.

i'd rather just go through on PULP and have my injectors tuned for PULP, they do not stand out and the rail looks stock. if you look hard enough you might see the twin lines running to one before it goes to the rail. but there isnt anything wrong with having 2 pumps is there?

its just extra fuel, if you've still got std injectors and ecu, you can have as many pumps as you want and it wont change mixtures.

the injectors if they get noticed i will just say they are replacements because the old ones were leaking. you can buy std replacements of the ones i have. and my ecu is a nistune. so its the std casing and insides with a different board i think? pretty un noticable.

Print off something from the website showing them as OEM replacements, "looks stock" might not cut it for the rail, same with two pumps even though it shouldn't change anything they will probably ark up about it.

• 1 month later...

Just got out of a defect, was coming down freeway making big pops copper radaring pulled me over, he goes "that exhaust isnt standard" so pulled out my emissions test and certificate of exemption for modification including brake upgrade, engine swap from rb20 to rb25det neo etc, the previous defect inspection and everything they didn't find with the PASSED stamp and he goes "ok on your way then".

Moral of the story do your car legally, or make it look legal so it passes an inspection.