SAU Community

Video Cameras For Motorsport Use

Roy

Just think roy, after this weekend you could be a pay day away from a rebuild... lol!

Meh, who needs a rebuild when you have wrecker motors that are cheaper then the above cameras and will last 6 years and 60,000kms :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

SO im going to buy a new in car camera in the coming days as my old one was rubbish with sound.

Looking into the new Go Pro HD hero2, anybody have any thoughts on this - i know it now has the external mic imput. This should makes things better? Clearer sound - the wind noise really killed the last camera and it didn't have an external mic.

Look forward to hearing peoples thoughts

so far so good with the hero 2. ordered straight from gopro.com and had it within the week.

picture is fantastic. Don't know if i had the hero 1 on the wrong setting but the picture was never as clear as this new one.

Testing mic input in the coming weeks but it will definately make a difference. Also enables you to put the mic anywhere you want....engine bay, near exhaust, in your helmet bla bla bla.

Was watching Goodwood 2011 the other day and noticed just about every car was using a GoPro HD. So the footage seems good enough for a BBC production. Notice they use them on the handlebars of bikes etc on Top Gear as well. The audio is rubbish. We were using one on a rally car on the weekend and even in the car they simply pick up too much background noise, something to do with the frequency of that noise being recorded better then an 4cylinder pinned to the floor :) Must be some software out there to filter out the "noise"

Very true, the picture quality is awesome, but the sound is truly appalling. I actually wonder how anyone could have signed that off prior to production with a "yep, that's done finished".

For an independent test comparison, have a look at this video done by Hot Rod Magazine

The Replay XD1080 is a clear leader. We sell GoPro, Contour & Replay and the Replay is a clear winner in my book. AVE are using them for the new season of Speedweek on SBS.

Was watching Goodwood 2011 the other day and noticed just about every car was using a GoPro HD. So the footage seems good enough for a BBC production. Notice they use them on the handlebars of bikes etc on Top Gear as well. The audio is rubbish. We were using one on a rally car on the weekend and even in the car they simply pick up too much background noise, something to do with the frequency of that noise being recorded better then an 4cylinder pinned to the floor :) Must be some software out there to filter out the "noise"

The problem with the GoPro is the plastic case it comes in. A bit like having your head inside a 20ltr drum. It seems to highlight all the high frequency sounds.

i like the idea of the go pro as its so versatile and the picture seems good it just always comes back to the audio. Its mainly going to be used for in car footage - has anyone actually used an external mic? This must obvosuly get rid of the high frequency casued by the case.....Can you use the camera without the case, I.e its inside the car so it doesn't really need to be protected....

• 2 months later...

The GoPro is the single biggest reason we see so many YouTube videos with terrible songs overlayed..... the sound is so bad that noone wants to listen to it.

For car related stuff, the sound is half of the enjoyment, but if it's that Corby guy jumping off mountains, it's not an issue....

Totally agree.

GoPro sound is utterly woeful from the video I have. Admittedly it was outside the car, still shit house.

I also had Scott's Contour GPS in the car - even the sound off that is pretty average and has a lot of interference.

The picture on them both however was very good none the less.

Definitely need one with good sound or even use an Aux mic setup perhaps?

I traded my GoProHD for a Contour+ purely because of the shit sound but let me tell you the Contour series of cameras are no better. The Contour+ however has muc sensitivity adjustments via software and also has a 2.5mm ext mic socket (mono)

I bought a $15 off the shelf Jaycar Electronics mic and mounted the mic inside my ute throught the door and the sound is 1000% better. I deliver a lot to a local music shop and they stock some mics up around $150-190 that will do an even better job so i might get 1 of those to try out.

Yeah thats what i was thinking something cheap as my PC mic is about $12, and it works very well all things considered. Pics up sound as good as you could expect.

Not sure how it would go "in car", but i suspect a Jaycar $15 is probably much the same.

The GoPro is the single biggest reason we see so many YouTube videos with terrible songs overlayed..... the sound is so bad that noone wants to listen to it.

For car related stuff, the sound is half of the enjoyment, but if it's that Corby guy jumping off mountains, it's not an issue....

Couldnt agree more. The sound is just as important. Seems that's the harder nut to crack than the picture and perhpas the external mic is the way to go. It's hard to beleive there is not an off the shelf tried and tested solution as if there was, surely everyone would beat a path to your door.

As Martyboy suggested to me long ago when I got my RadCam from him I went and got a cheap powered external micrphone. The supplied RadCam one works well, even better with a wind muffle thingy over it, but the external option and little wind muffler works a treat.

External mic is the ONLY way to go IMO. I place mine up under the dash out of the breeze when alone in the car, or clip it to Timmy's seat head restraint when rallying so we get a good mix of his note calling and the car's sound. *** All of my YouTube stuiff with two of us in the car (except 999 duty in the Evo) is recorded on a POV1 but I'm sure the RadCam will do just as good of a job but with improved picture once properly set up..

As Martyboy suggested to me long ago when I got my RadCam from him I went and got a cheap powered external micrphone. The supplied RadCam one works well, even better with a wind muffle thingy over it, but the external option and little wind muffler works a treat.

External mic is the ONLY way to go IMO. I place mine up under the dash out of the breeze when alone in the car, or clip it to Timmy's seat head restraint when rallying so we get a good mix of his note calling and the car's sound. *** All of my YouTube stuiff with two of us in the car (except 999 duty in the Evo) is recorded on a POV1 but I'm sure the RadCam will do just as good of a job but with improved picture once properly set up..

The quest fopr good sound and vision in one camera is finally over. RaceRecall.com now has the new RadCAM HD20. This is the successor to the RadCAM HDPro and it has anumber of improvements, namely, Audio gain control over the internal or external microphone, 6 Hour recording on one battery charge and a smaller detachable camera head. Here's a couple of clips to illustrate

Both recorded with the internal mic and gain setting on 4

Jason White's Lambo

My 911 CS

I have to disagree, as I reckon that's fine if you only want to hear nav calls and heavy breathing from a fat driver, not if you like a mix of car sounds too.

Extrenal mic located near the co-driver usually give the best mix of pace notes and car audio.

I reckon the latest, refined RadCam is the shizzle. The smaller, detachable camera head would make setting it up easier, and of course the extended battary is welcome.

They're tough too! Mine was suction cupped to the side of Coop's 32 GTR when he smacked the wall hard at Lakeside (thanks for that Murphy), but besides a scratch, no problem!