SAU Community

Video Cameras For Motorsport Use

Roy

maybe that have stopped working on video quality and started working on sound quality?

You can use an external mic now.

My HD HERO's are starting to rattle around in the housings, having to pad them a little.

I've never had any video blur?!?

An external mic is just a pain in the ass, i have 1.

These types of cameras are used for extreme sports, majority of which are at high speed meaning that the sound is almost completely unusable.

The sound is no different on either of them, i've had both. I switched from gopro to the contour+ just to get the external mic option.

The mount has nothing to do with it, sticking a camera with an internal mic on the roof of a car doing 50-200kmh is the problem.

The sound is no different on either of them, i've had both. I switched from gopro to the contour+ just to get the external mic option.

The mount has nothing to do with it, sticking a camera with an internal mic on the roof of a car doing 50-200kmh is the problem.

I meant inside the car.People complain about the sound inside the car. Which is generally because the mount is moving around and causing cracking and high spots in the sound.

When you have wind smashing past the car, the sound is always going to be shit.

When you have wind smashing past the car, the sound is always going to be shit.

Well lets see how the Hero 3 handles it, apparently the sound has been completely recreated, it's the whole point we buy these small cameras.

I thought the sound this Go-Pro provided was pretty impressive. I'm not sure which model it was as it's not mine, but no external mic from memory.

http://www.youtube.c...v=uJSzpcChdXg#!

I was quite impressed with these new Ion cams too: http://www.iontheact...deo-Camera.html

Good sound, nice image quality, easy to use and robust.

LOL, Dane ....that vid is freakishly good for an external mount. This is the best I could get with packing the housing and mic port with hedphone foam to try and insulate it

May be a long shot but i hazard a guess that where your camera is mounted is in a good spot and that your cars aero is working better to shield it from airflow vs lil Caterham and its tomb like aero causing loads of turbulence around the camera

Very interested to see the GoPro Hero 3 vs the Contour Plus 2 for motorsport.

Really divided over which of these to get... the GPS on the Contour is the what's keeping me from going GoPro.

Anyone have an informed opinion on the subject?

Edited by Ding

What's the deal with the Hero 3?? Is it only the black edition that is actually worth getting? It sounds like the white and silver editions are just slightly tweaked older models? In which case I'll save a bit of coin by buying an older model.

LOL, Dane ....that vid is freakishly good for an external mount. This is the best I could get with packing the housing and mic port with hedphone foam to try and insulate it

May be a long shot but i hazard a guess that where your camera is mounted is in a good spot and that your cars aero is working better to shield it from airflow vs lil Caterham and its tomb like aero causing loads of turbulence around the camera

I thought so too mate. I've always written them off due to sound quality, but was mighty impressed with that video.

I think you're right though, it's the aero at work deflecting it away from the mount, at least moreso than on the Caterham.

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of places sell a fairly generic "HD" camera llke that one, they're all over eBay too.

My missus, against my advice, went and bought one from Aldi for $69, looks almost identical to the target one and the image quality is not great. My $40 Kodak PlayTouch HD smashes it. The clip I posted earlier was on the lowest (WXGA) setting and it looks better than her HD cam on it's highest setting. I've since moved up to using 720 on the Kodak, looks decent.