SAU Community

Is A Stagea Okay For A Commuter Car?

Maximilian

Just started looking into small/mid station wagons.

I really like the look of the stagea RS4, primarily 1998-2000. What are the main differences between the years/models?

I commute from 70 to 140 kms a day, about 30ks of that is open road/country blocks. The higher kms is pretty much all freeway. I live on acreage and so it will be exposed to some dirt roads and some bumpy driveways.

I realise that the stagea may not be the most economical or even compatible to my lifestyle but I really like them!

I've seen some dual fuel ones but how does the stagea go with the gas?

Is there anything else to look out for? Any problem areas?

I'm going to try and do a trade in on my 2000 Mazda Protege sedan - what prices should I be looking at?

Thanks.

hey mate just jump on the stagea forums click here everything you need to know about em is on there. i have a 99 rs4s its a 5 sp manual with the rb25 neo engine, i get about 4-500 kms around town, out on the highway roughly 550- 600 kms a tank, not sure about the gas, but i do know a couple of guys on there have it. i would go with a series 2 98 - 01 or if you're not looking to mod it, apparently the m35's are great to drive and even better on the fuel, its just that vq25det is not very well known here and there is not a lot of support for the engine.

Cheers, Bradd

well if you are looking in the segment I guess you are comparing stageas to liberty - the stagea is bigger, quicker and better appointed. Fuel economy is terrible though. I'm very happy with mine it will stay around for years.

Oh and they are dirt cheap for such a well built car too.

If you drive 30k and compare 10l/100 with 15l/100 the difference is 1500 litres of petrol. At say $1.60/l thats about $2400 a year.

Compare on road prices then factor in fuel costs.

Its worth $2400 a year to drive a Factory 5 vehicle.LOL.

I use my Stagea to go to work every day. I use it for towing a trailer full of rubbish to the tip and for carting building materials and once a month or so I thrash it around a race track. Some people have a daily driver and a performance car but i can't afford two and the Stagea does me fine. It won't win races against lightweight racing saloons but you can still have a ton of fun on a track or on those quiet, winding back country roads.

Let's go straight to the facts:

PROS:

Well built(before buying my S2 ,tried a toyota caldina...toy car)

Full size wagon(plenty room,comfy seats...I carried 5 doors just folding rear seats)

All the gadgets you can spect from an import(all electronics...plus optionals ,like like sunroof,HID lights,TV,SatNav )

Very safe car ,rated 5 star in japan and russia,as far as i've seen (plus it's heavily built)

Lots of variants (Bodykits,wheels ,upgrades)(mine is higher ,even than standard but with a solid ride)

Standard parts are compatible with R33/R34 Skylines

Looks good and drives even better (Lots of power +AWD)

CONS:

Fuel comsumption(you need to feed your horses)

Ideal fuel...Premium

As every import part's price depend on dollar convertion

Cannot take it to any mechanic(mostly for peace of mind)

In your case Think it's a road performance AWD wagon (won't like rought/soil roads a lot)

Insurance is a little bit pricier

Hoons will try to race you at most traffic lights

With the time you will start to think about upgrades(Not making the miss happy)....;-)

Good luck,hope the stag will fit you...

that M35 is a factory Aero kitted model, i own one, and there is a red(ish) one on here too whos name i cant recall, bis-e-bee i think (sorry if im wrong)

they are most common in RS models, RX Aeros are harder to find from my searching experience, that said, i own one :devil:

that M35 is a factory Aero kitted model, i own one, and there is a red(ish) one on here too whos name i cant recall, bis-e-bee i think (sorry if im wrong)

they are most common in RS models, RX Aeros are harder to find from my searching experience, that said, i own one :devil:

So I like the WC34 and I like the m35 with aero front.

How much better on fuel is the m35 compared with the WC34?

If anyone can answer if the Stagea goes well on gas I'd appreciate that info as well.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

im not sure they M35 is as economical as the C34. thats with MY M35 anyway. however i did put through a fuel injector cleaner and i got over 550km from a tank before the light came on. thats NEVER happened before for me with city driving. AND i went for a hard drive on on thursday night, all high rpm and fuel wasting. but it didnt appear to affect fuel consumption much.

so maybe things were just dirty in my car?

also, the M35 aero has side and rear skirts to match the front bar. some even have a rear wing, i wish mine did!

they are most common in RS models, RX Aeros are harder to find from my searching experience, that said, i own one :laugh:

Yep, you got it!

Pic of my full frontal exposure following lol

As you can see I need to get the driving lights, not going to be cheap but will increase the sexiness :D

post-59561-1235908244_thumb.jpg

Was just checking the rest of the photo's out on the link and noticed the rear shot of the car.

Sports exhaust?? not sure the twin tip works as it's not centered with the body kit lol

I love my Nismo cat back system with sound control! mind you I always use Sports mode, Silent mode is probably more fuel efficient but to tell you the truth I havn't noticed much difference sound wise. Maybe I need to be at the back of the car whilst someone else is driving :laugh:

post-59561-1235909260_thumb.jpg

Found another few links for you, these all appear to have the same Aero kit as the beige one you posted

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/NISSAN....aspx?State=VIC

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/U...ckToResult=true

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/U...ckToResult=true

the last two are also on http://www.japauctions.com.au/, might be worth having a look at their site as there are a few more I think. I only had a quick look but it may be worth investigating.

you seem to pay such a premium for the Aero kit - although it does look so good. All those cars have fairly high KMS compared to what you can get for $20k without the bodykit (40,000 to 50,000kms)

If you drive 30k and compare 10l/100 with 15l/100 the difference is 1500 litres of petrol. At say $1.60/l thats about $2400 a year.

Compare on road prices then factor in fuel costs.

Its worth $2400 a year to drive a Factory 5 vehicle.LOL.

Makes me glad I am getting 9.3km/L (City-ish driving)

im not sure they M35 is as economical as the C34. thats with MY M35 anyway. however i did put through a fuel injector cleaner and i got over 550km from a tank before the light came on. thats NEVER happened before for me with city driving. AND i went for a hard drive on on thursday night, all high rpm and fuel wasting. but it didnt appear to affect fuel consumption much.

so maybe things were just dirty in my car?

also, the M35 aero has side and rear skirts to match the front bar. some even have a rear wing, i wish mine did!

Glad to hear you are finally getting "normal" economy!

My first road trip was from Melbourne to Warnambool via the Great Ocean Road.

We came back along the highway, filled up at the same servo.

703km - 67L.

Not bad for a "fun run".

Don't know of any C34's that can do that.

Was just checking the rest of the photo's out on the link and noticed the rear shot of the car.

Sports exhaust?? not sure the twin tip works as it's not centered with the body kit lol

I love my Nismo cat back system with sound control! mind you I always use Sports mode, Silent mode is probably more fuel efficient but to tell you the truth I havn't noticed much difference sound wise. Maybe I need to be at the back of the car whilst someone else is driving :)

That exhaust is the HKS Demoda.

For the money, you could get Nismo, Fujitsubo (pic of mine in my sig) or a full Kakimoto (dump back - deleted Cat)

So why would you bother with the smaller HKS?

I do like the Aero kit, but there are other which look much nicer IMO.

Or you could just lower a normal kit, this is my mates car. Stock bodywork with Nismo suspension & 5mm spacers on 18x8's.

post-31842-1235959348_thumb.jpg

Looks quite aggressive in the flesh (in the metal??)

Edited by iamhe77

yeah i hope i never find out where you mate lives, he will be left with no exhaust and no suspension :P

has an FMIC from memory too?? bastard!!!! haha

mate im happy im getting better fuel economy too!!