SAU Community

Who Would Want A 300/320k/hr Speedo

darrinspencer

A recent thread of someone wanting a 300k speedo for a stagea got me started on this

It is possible to recalibrate the factory speedo to read up to 300 or 320 opposed to the factory 180k/hr

I have contacted Otto Instruments in Brisbane and they can perform the work. The cost will be approx $75.

You will have to send your speedo to them and they can do the work the same day. Takes approx 1 hour

I asked about a change over setup, but they would have to reset/adjust the odometer reading for each car which will cost more

The next problem is new dial faces for the speedo. To get these made can/could be very expensive to get Stagea specific ones made. It might be possible to to use R33 or silvia dials commonly sold on ebay etc. There are some for Stagea's on Yahoo auctions japan, but sure if they read to 300k/hr. Will need to research this part.

C34 Series 1 stagea's have black/grey faces and series 2 have white/silver faces. If I find a source for these, they will be white.

If the whole lot can be done for approx $150, who would be interested. If I can good numbers I will try to get these sorted

I want one! I believe they are available in Japan (Dolphin?) but so far I have had no luck tracking one down. As a matter of fact i have a spare speedo cluster i could send away to be done.

I want one! I believe they are available in Japan (Dolphin?) but so far I have had no luck tracking one down. As a matter of fact i have a spare speedo cluster i could send away to be done.

No need to get the dolphin one as it will cost over $600+

I have just spoke to a aftermarket dial face supplier and sent of some pics for him to work with

He is going to do a design over the week end and provide a price. His current models for other cars sell for approx $70 set.

So the target of $150 with the calibration done should be achievable.

Having a think about this speedo - the main thing that you need people to sign up for is the dial face as presumably there will be some set up costs and say 20 would be cheaper (each) than 3 off. So that is where the group buy comes in and i guess you will need money up front. There was a previous proposal for a full set of dials that glow in the dark or something (don't know what happened to that) but for my part I want the dial to look as near stock as possible. If you go for 320km/hr max that will suit everyone ( I only know of one Stagea that will get anywhere near that but at least it should do the job for any level of mods or repowers).

The other bit, recalibrating the speedo will probably be the same price for one or more. In fact Jaycar do a kit that will recalibrate the speedo by up to 99% so that would do the job for those keen enough and able to build the kit. On the other hand i am pretty sure an instrument shop in Auckland here can do the job ( and probably in various Australian cities) so I am really just after the dial face.

• 1 year later...
A recent thread of someone wanting a 300k speedo for a stagea got me started on this

It is possible to recalibrate the factory speedo to read up to 300 or 320 opposed to the factory 180k/hr

I have contacted Otto Instruments in Brisbane and they can perform the work. The cost will be approx $75.

You will have to send your speedo to them and they can do the work the same day. Takes approx 1 hour

I asked about a change over setup, but they would have to reset/adjust the odometer reading for each car which will cost more

The next problem is new dial faces for the speedo. To get these made can/could be very expensive to get Stagea specific ones made. It might be possible to to use R33 or silvia dials commonly sold on ebay etc. There are some for Stagea's on Yahoo auctions japan, but sure if they read to 300k/hr. Will need to research this part.

C34 Series 1 stagea's have black/grey faces and series 2 have white/silver faces. If I find a source for these, they will be white.

If the whole lot can be done for approx $150, who would be interested. If I can good numbers I will try to get these sorted

So is this still happening or are the faces now available? What came of this? I am very interested in a speedo thats above 180kmh! (although i would want a series 1 black face)

What do i need to do, who do i contact...etc

I think that was my recent thread that sparked the discussion :banana:

Im interested in this Darrin.

The dolphin units aren't being produced any more, only 2 left in stock at Dolphin as of 3months ago maybe none now.

$1300 approx landed in Aus.

ps. just missed out on a nismo one with lcd screen a month ago, went for $1300 approx on the auctions.

Edited by Stagea_Neo

• 5 months later...

OK I have had some 300km/hr dials made. They are for S1 Stagea. I imagine they would fit S2 (but they would be the wrong colour). They are printed on a self adhesive material - just peel of the backing and stick them on your old dial (or you could cut out the shape in something else if you want to preserve your old dial). As it says earlier in this thread you will then have to sort out one of two methods for getting them to read correctly. The pic is of my spare cluster. My car is still (:/ ) in a workshop so I can't show you the night time view. When I can I will put up an ad in the for sale section. If you can't wait you can get one now for AU$35 posted. I only got 10 made so 9 left!

PS if someone is keen you could buy my spare cluster and either use it as an exchange one or take turns to put it in your car while your own is getting modified (if you don't go the Jaycar way):

http://www.trademe.c...px?id=362354726

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg