SAU Community

Easy Way To Identify Neo Head

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

It must just be my anti-R33 bent, but I would have said the easy way to identify a Neo head is it will be under the bonnet of a good car.

Haha, I have a stagea not a 33, I used to have a 33, but not anymore

3 hours ago, NEO25T said:

Above exhaust ports 2-3 you should find a number cast, 5l8 for turbo neo and 5l7 for non turbs

I’ve still got to pull everything off the motor to see it, factory manifold is in the way I’m pretty sure it’s non-neo though

Edited by 33_drift

Non neo has a four bolt plate on the vct cam pulley, neo has a single bolt. If no cams are installed the non neo will have two big oil feed holes for vct in the cam journal orientated transversely. The neo will have two small oil holes orientated longitudinally with the head.

15 hours ago, 33_drift said:

So I have a stagea that’s blown a head gasket and I’m looking for a head, I’ve looked for the casting number in the place that’s specified and there’s no number that I can see, is it cast into the head or stamped

Would you sell your old neo head?

16 hours ago, 33_drift said:

So I have a stagea that’s blown a head gasket and I’m looking for a head, I’ve looked for the casting number in the place that’s specified and there’s no number that I can see, is it cast into the head or stamped

R33 Has a metal Mitsubishi CAS 23731 02U11

Neo has plastic Hitachi CAS 23731 5L 300

Are you sure your head can't be repaired?

4 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Then why do you want a neo head to put on to it? Neo head on non neo bottom end = bad times

I don’t want to put a neo head on my motor, I just asked the question to make sure I didn’t buy the wrong head for my car