SAU Community

R32 N1 Gtr Rh8/rh9 Drag Car

Nur33

Hi all

First time i've wrote a build up thread so i here i go.

The story: Car was imported from Japan through Dominic at Autostyle in 2007. It is a genuine R32 N1 GTR 1992 Model not V-spec, ZN Model N1. The car was pretty clean and tidy and was basically stock just the basic bolt-ons. When imported it was taken to Jim at CRD and made a easy 280kw @ 1.2bar i think. It only done approx 3000km after purchase when we accidentally bumped the boost solenoid hoses off, (cause someone put shitty fittings on it) which caused it to overboost and crack No.6 Piston Ring Land.

After that disappointment my dad, brother and I disscussed what to do with the car, couple of ideas we through around:

-Restore to original

-Send to nismo japan to get overhauled

-Build a response monster and get the full Mines treatment

-Or build a full bullshit street/drag weapon capable of doin 8's on street tires.

After long consideration about 6 months and lots of phone calls we choose to make a 8sec car. Because this car is so unique/rare we are gonna try stick with the JDM theme as much as possible and only use the best parts money can buy.

Building a car like this we knew we needed well over a 100k, currently the car is fully stripped as i write this, all sound deadening gone getting preped for paint and rollcage.

The engine is being built by the one of the best in the business Mr Mark Jacobson at Godzilla Motorsport, he has been great to us and is excited about the build as much as we are. The engine specs are secret Godzilla Spec, only we and Mark know ;). All's i can hint that it has all custom internals.

All work is bein done by Eric(dad), Matthew(Brother) and Me (Ben). Except the engine build but all the rest done by us, this is our second project build, the first was my R33 GTR aka NUR33 which has currently finish stage 4 Development with a thread for that soon.

Other parts that we can share:

-Running a full Trust T88-38GK Turbine Kit (minus the turbo) exchanging the turbo for HKS's New T62R Turbo.

-Hypertune Plenum Twin Railed with bored out runners with 104mm Throttle body.

-Indy 1600cc Injectors x6 will add more injectors if needed.

-Motec ECU and CDI

-PPG Dogbox

-NPC Clutch

-Carbon fibre doors,bonnet,boot etc.

-Chromoly 6 point Rollcage

-Custom Dry sump system.

-Bosch 044 Fuel pumps x4

You get the picture, more details will be added sortly along with pics. Hope you enjoy this article and can't wait to share more info, Cheers.

Check (if you live in usa): Kroger Weekly Ad, or Myer catalogue.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to choose a car that was slightly less rare??? :S

That was my 1st thought aswell

I didnt think there was much difference in HP rating between the 38gk and T62r

The 38gk is an 1100hp turbo and the HKS 1200hp

Either way I doubt either would be big enough to run 8's in a GTR

Awesome man congrats! This is going to be a epic build.

I only have 2 questions:

Are Street legal drag radials (which i assume your planning to run when you say street tyres) capable of 8sec passes, or do you need full slicks?

Would a slider clutch/hydraulic gearbox be more suitable to this sort of goal?

Cant wait to see progress pics!

Good Luck

That was my 1st thought aswell

I didnt think there was much difference in HP rating between the 38gk and T62r

The 38gk is an 1100hp turbo and the HKS 1200hp

Either way I doubt either would be big enough to run 8's in a GTR

T88 no...T62 yes...as long as the cars weight is right and the set-up is there.

GK's run out of puff in the topend and their rating is a tad optimistic, but i suppose Mark has already explained all that to you.

The set-up sounds identical to mine...save for the carbon goodies. You should have just bought mine for 59K and saved the N1 for what it is.

Did Mark sell you the MoTeC out of his car?

All the best with the build...its great to see more 'big' cars being built.

Edited by DiRTgarage

Hi guys

Wow, didn't think i would get this many hits thanks for your input and support, here are some current pics of the car, dont have any engine pics :D Sorry still getting built.

Ok to answer a few question.

1. Yes the Trust kit is a T4 Flange and the HKS is V-Band. As these two turbo are very quite similar in size everything bolts onto the HKS Turbo besides the Manifold, gonna use an adaptor flange hopefully this will work.

2. I think the Trust T88 is a plain bearing design and the HKS T62R is latest in ball bearing technology just as responsive as the T51R SPL and very lightweight (9.5kg) plus i don't think anyone in a

Aus has one yet.

3. Gearbox we weighed up the options with this, we looked into Holinger and the OS Giken but they are way to expensive 20k + also parts and servicing is a whole other story. We choose the PPG set because of price, availability and support. From the money saved there can be put into other areas of the car.

4. 8 secs on street tyres, has been done plenty of times before. I remember when Signal Auto R34 was the first to do it 8.99 of street radials it was mind blowing. Cars in Australia have done it too, our goal is a 8sec but will be most happy with a 9sec. Tyres of choice will probably be Mickey Tompson ET Street running on Super Light weight 17" Enkei RPF1's.

5. Why use a rare car, well from day one we knew we were never gonna a sell it, gonna stay in the family, plus i think it will be even rarer because it will be a 1000hp+ N1 not many people can say they own that i surpose.

post-56933-1248428042_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428061_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428089_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428104_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428121_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428147_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428163_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428182_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428201_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428221_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428235_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428249_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428272_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428286_thumb.jpg

post-56933-1248428308_thumb.jpg

T88 no...T62 yes...as long as the cars weight is right and the set-up is there.

GK's run out of puff in the topend and their rating is a tad optimistic, but i suppose Mark has already explained all that to you.

The set-up sounds identical to mine...save for the carbon goodies. You should have just bought mine for 59K and saved the N1 for what it is.

Did Mark sell you the MoTeC out of his car?

All the best with the build...its great to see more 'big' cars being built.

Not Here for an Argument BUT..... there are some FACTS........

CROYDON WHOLESALERS in NZ ran In the 8's with a T88-34D not GK! in there r32 gt-r (Street tyre record holder at a stage)

Garage saurus (Pink) r32 drag car ran 8's and there orange one i think...

Alot of Cars i think have run 8's in Japan aswell with T88's..

So the T88H-38GK wouldn't have a problem if the 3rd largest of the range has already done it! eg. (T88-34D, T88H-34D,T88H-38GK)

Also If you run the larger 22cm2 Exhaust Housing It wont run out of legs

thought id mention that for the guys downtalking T88's :geek: but the T62r Is a larger turbo :laugh:

Not Here for an Argument BUT..... there are some FACTS........

CROYDON WHOLESALERS in NZ ran In the 8's with a T88-34D not GK! in there r32 gt-r (Street tyre record holder at a stage)

Garage saurus (Pink) r32 drag car ran 8's and there orange one i think...

Alot of Cars i think have run 8's in Japan aswell with T88's..

So the T88H-38GK wouldn't have a problem if the 3rd largest of the range has already done it! eg. (T88-34D, T88H-34D,T88H-38GK)

Also If you run the larger 22cm2 Exhaust Housing It wont run out of legs

thought id mention that for the guys downtalking T88's :geek: but the T62r Is a larger turbo :laugh:

Tony, your points are spot on, im just thinking about the guys here who have ran them and struggled. Theo Wollett used to run one and it didn't perform well, they have trouble coping with high shaft speed needed to make the power. Theo went through quite a few items before giving up and using a Garrett based turbo. RH9 also tried one and ran into the same issues with performance. It now runs a Garrett based turbo and makes spastic power without issues. Glen may have been a like the Japs and known how to achieve good results with them reliably. Us aussie's havent had a lot of luck with them.

cheers

Fair Enough People will always have different experiences with anything i guess...

Each to there own..I just thought id stick up for the T88's since i use them religiously LOL

In my Opinion any high rated turbo 900hp turbo + with a very light gtr + Dogbox or Hollinger + everything upgraded basically!! Will and Should go in the 8's!!!

Very important also are correct suspension settings :laugh:

I think 8's are in Nur33 sights for sure!!!!

Weight is the issuse with any GTR the Saurus GTR weighed somthing like 1200kg so it was unbelivably light.

Are you still going to have it as a street car Nur33?

Hi Guys

Im not biased on the turbo's i think the T88-38GK is a fantastic turbo, we just wanted to be different to the norm so we choose the T62R (with its 6K+ price tag) because if you ever tried to look up any info on these babies in god damn near impossible, so i thought i would share my experience with it so far.

As for street legal, it will be registered and driven on the street from time to time, but will be very uncomfy due to only the bare essentials being in place. (Picture Garage Saurus Carbon R32 Street Weapon from HPI Issue 96, that our motivation for this build). The car should be really light weight the doors we are getting weigh 6kg compared to standard 39kg so the 1200kg mark maybe be possible.

Enjoy, Cheers.

Hi Guys

Im not biased on the turbo's i think the T88-38GK is a fantastic turbo, we just wanted to be different to the norm so we choose the T62R (with its 6K+ price tag) because if you ever tried to look up any info on these babies in god damn near impossible, so i thought i would share my experience with it so far.

As for street legal, it will be registered and driven on the street from time to time, but will be very uncomfy due to only the bare essentials being in place. (Picture Garage Saurus Carbon R32 Street Weapon from HPI Issue 96, that our motivation for this build). The car should be really light weight the doors we are getting weigh 6kg compared to standard 39kg so the 1200kg mark maybe be possible.

Enjoy, Cheers.

Rob Marjan is running a 62 on his R32 GTR...he loves it.

1200kg...bloody hell...mines 170kg more than that, but ive kept all the body panels factory and doors intact and only the interior in the rear is removed and been replaced with carbon fibre panels. Its OK to drive like that on the road and is reasonably comfortable. Ive bought some Strange carbon drag brakes to try and shed some weight without stripping the car any more bare.

Keep the thread going with plenty of pics and updates as we dont see many drag car builds on here.

Cheers

Edited by DiRTgarage

Wouldn't it have made more sense to choose a car that was slightly less rare??? :S

Second that... at the end of the day its only an N1 on the VIN. But if you're not gonna sell it maybe it does make sense.

Hi Guys

I'll try to keep you's updated as much as possible, at that moment we just got all the sound deadening out and gonna start to give it a sand and prep for paint, but first the rollcage will goin in, hopefully in the next few weeks. After that done interior will start to go back together (gotta order some Bride Zeta III's x2, Takata Harness x2, Work Bell Steering Wheel with Quick Release Boss and a few other goodies).

The plan is to have car complete by Dec-Jan, then get a few months to practice and fine tune, then hopefully debut it at next years Winter Nationals.

Cheers