SAU Community

Car Goes Left And Right

hi guys!i just put a set of 17 wheel on last nigt.drive to work today,car goes left and right sometimes,very unpredictable.so wheel alignment related?or the front pair worn out tyres. it did go straight with the 225-50-16 tyre on standard wheels. what could it be :) any idea would be appreciated.car is a r33 gtst

Edited by USU_R33

are the rims themselves the same width all around for all 4 wheels, or are a pair like 17x8 and other pair 17x9? You haven't gone ahead and did something silly like put a 17x8 on the left and 17x9 on the right?

assuming you put the wheels on yourself, if you haven't already, you'll need to have all the wheels balanced and an alignment done. Check all the tyre pressures are even too. If the front tyres are over worn that would give the feeling of the car randomly being pulled left & right. (A bit like going over ruts in the snow) Not to mention the lack of braking, cornering, understeer etc.

In my experience its because i have put rims on that have too big an offset (+30 in my case)which changes the roll centre of your car, basically when u hit a bump, instead of the tyre moving straight up and down over the bump , the wheel will roll around the bump, tugging on the steering in the process. Maybe getting a bit of extra toe in when u get a wheel alignment will help the car track straight and turn into corners a bit better. May have adverse effect on tyre wear though.

the front wheels are 17x8 +32 and rear wheels are 17x9 +47.

You haven't gone ahead and did something silly like put a 17x8 on the left and 17x9 on the right?

i did put wheels on myself,and i have double check the rotation,front,rear,with no mistakes

so new tyres is the first thing to go,right?

The alignment shouldn't have changed.

My experience is that if you swap tyres L<->R, you end up mucking up the tread layers - the symptom is then similar to a bad front alignment (toe out). You may not have done it, but the previous owner may have. If it's borderline on the tyres, replace them sooner rather than later.

No, probably a wheel balance and alignment if the tyres are still good. If they are shagged, yes, new tyres, wheel balance and alignment.

What he said ... JAX charged me something ridiculously low like $20 for balancing all 4 wheels and about $50-60 to sort out the toe/camber settings. Do that and you should be fine.

In my experience its because i have put rims on that have too big an offset (+30 in my case)which changes the roll centre of your car, basically when u hit a bump, instead of the tyre moving straight up and down over the bump , the wheel will roll around the bump, tugging on the steering in the process. Maybe getting a bit of extra toe in when u get a wheel alignment will help the car track straight and turn into corners a bit better. May have adverse effect on tyre wear though.

wait, what? lol

car run standard suspension & wheels for 2.5 years since i bought it from a dealer when it fresh import.and dont have any alignment problems till i change the wheel.so will change the front tyre first

My R32 did the same thing and i got new front tyres and it was all fixed. The second hand tyres that were on the wheels must have had strange wear on them or something

yeah, got new front on this morning,all fixed. :) plan to have a pair of 225 potenza RE001 ,but find out 235 are little bit cheaper :D ...confused.anyway,feel good of these tyres,will have them on the rear very soon :(

Edited by USU_R33

sounds to me like a simple case of 'tramlining' generally when you go to large 9and more importantly wider) wheels and tyres you get tramlining where the car wants to follow irregularities in the road surface. it's generally worse with very high performance tyres and semi-slicks but does happen with other tyres too.

sounds to me like a simple case of 'tramlining' generally when you go to large 9and more importantly wider) wheels and tyres you get tramlining where the car wants to follow irregularities in the road surface. it's generally worse with very high performance tyres and semi-slicks but does happen with other tyres too.

yeh that's what im thinking too.