SAU Community

Great Ocean Road

xALmoN

And so, i'm going to take a cruise up, over the weekend. Along the GOR. All i heard about the GOR is that it goes up to Geelong.

So i would like to know, what's fun, and where's good to spend the night?

And i would also like to do some fishing, i've got my gear and i'm really itching to wet my line. Or should i give it a miss since its winter?

Thanks guys!

the great ocean rd starts just after torquay

which is about 25 minutes past geelong

head up princes hwy past geelong

and continue past geelong, don't go through geelong its a waste of time

follow the signs to great ocean road

you will pass through anglesea (can fish here)

you will pass through pt road knight (can fish here)

you will pass through aireys inlet (can fish here)

you will pass through lorne (can fish here)

you will pass through appollo bay (can fish here)

the best roads are between aireys inlet / fairhaven and lorne

try and leave space for slow cars

dont sit up someone's ass and annoy them

dont get overzealous and come off / get into trouble

take it easy and have fun but be careful, some of the corners can suprise you if you arent experienced

on the way home from lorne, you can head back via the otways, these roads are great

you can stay basically anywhere, recommendations are lorne or appollo bay overnight

apollo bay is a fair drive, 2.5 hours from geelong so plan ahead

there is premium in anglesea, shell on the right hand side

lorne is the typical place most people drive to in a day trip

you can fish on the pier there, lots of people do

and the fish co-op there has great seafood and fish for lunch/dinner to cook up

the great ocean rd starts just after torquay

which is about 25 minutes past geelong

head up princes hwy past geelong

and continue past geelong, don't go through geelong its a waste of time

follow the signs to great ocean road

you will pass through anglesea (can fish here)

you will pass through pt road knight (can fish here)

you will pass through aireys inlet (can fish here)

you will pass through lorne (can fish here)

you will pass through appollo bay (can fish here)

try and leave space for slow cars

dont sit up someone's ass and annoy them

dont get overzealous and come off / get into trouble

take it easy and have fun but be careful, some of the corners can suprise you if you arent experienced

on the way home from lorne, you can head back via the otways, these roads are great

you can stay basically anywhere, recommendations are lorne or appollo bay overnight

apollo bay is a fair drive, 2.5 hours from geelong so plan ahead

there is premium in anglesea, shell on the right hand side

lorne is the typical place most people drive to in a day trip

you can fish on the pier there, lots of people do

and the fish co-op there has great seafood and fish for lunch/dinner to cook up

Is it really 2.5 hours to apollo bay from geelong? Feels much quicker than that and that's taking it quite easy..

It takes me approx 2.5hrs to get from Geelong to Apollo Bay on a good run..

Its roughly a bit over an hour from Geelong to Apollo Bay IMO.

You can fish basically anywhere, do some internet research and find out what area's have schools biting the weekend you choose to go.

Apollo Bay is where i would stay, and on the 2nd day go down to the 12 Apostles and similar tourist things to checkout (lunch @ Port Campbell)

Nope, it's between Lorne and Wye River IMO.

Ten odd kays of twisty goodness, both uphill and down.

And seeing as most of the daytrippers stop at lorne, there less people doing 30kph while they look at the ocean.

Well, no sleeping in the car, i want real beds i think.

Thanks for the list of places to visit!

Will go plan my route.

I was thinking of getting a boat to fish, but i dont reckon there is enough time, so i guess i'll just leave my heavy gear at home and fish from the shore.

Edited by xALmoN

Nope, it's between Lorne and Wye River IMO.

Ten odd kays of twisty goodness, both uphill and down.

And seeing as most of the daytrippers stop at lorne, there less people doing 30kph while they look at the ocean.

100% agree...... lorne to Wye / Kennet River is better........but my personal favourite stretch is between Kennet River and Smythes Creek

Hmmmm..... Not a fan of the stretch past Kennett, probably because you almost always come close to killing a tarago full of tourists at Grey River as the wander over the road for koala photos.

oooh, So i've planned to drive up all the way to Apollo Bay, play and chill for the night, then on the way home, catch all the sights, what do you guys think?

Good idea mate, but you need to take your SURFBOARD!

Plenty of solid waves to be had along the way...

haha.

points i'd look at for a surf, a place called urquharts bluff, if the surf is big enough check out Point Roadknight, as well as lorne and Apollo bay might even have a wave!

Good idea mate, but you need to take your SURFBOARD!

Plenty of solid waves to be had along the way...

haha.

points i'd look at for a surf, a place called urquharts bluff, if the surf is big enough check out Point Roadknight, as well as lorne and Apollo bay might even have a wave!

Lol, dude, i only know how to windsurf, and i heard surfing is a whole lot of difference, but its winter now, and i'm deathly afraid of the cold. Maybe in summer, i'll go again.

Lol, dude, i only know how to windsurf, and i heard surfing is a whole lot of difference, but its winter now, and i'm deathly afraid of the cold. Maybe in summer, i'll go again.

hahaha xALmoN the water is only 11 degrees mate!

Get a wetsuit and you'll be fine, but windsurfing is awesome!

:D

Ah, i've just got back!

And i guess i really need a surfboard here in Australia. It looked so fun, i went past some places with some people surfing and it looked awesome, i should try it when summer comes around.

And i loved the drive there, wild dog road is awesome, was scary because you dont really see roads like that in Singapore. And the drive back on the GOR wasn't half bad. There wasn't many cars hogging the road so it was a smooth journey bad. Not half bad...