SAU Community

September 2009 Photo Thread

Xmetal

GoldZilla - Would you like CC on this coz i feel if you did a few things i mentioned it would have been a killer shot.. esp getting more detail and colour in her eyes.

You got off camera flash? Or a reflector? If not, just use those car sun reflector thingys. Bring to the right of the subject (so to the left of the pic). SOme sort of light to the left of her (right of the pic). So the reflector will now shine as a fill light into her eyes.

Also focus on her eyes rather than the nose.

Move back from the subject a little too.

Just thought i would help as this could have been a killer shot.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry Sidd, didn't see your post lol.

Whenever you want man, i'm ready and not busy within the next 3 weeks or so. I dont finish work until 530 but and im on the beaches, so would have to be on a weekend! Whens the next model shoot?

GoldZilla - Would you like CC on this coz i feel if you did a few things i mentioned it would have been a killer shot.. esp getting more detail and colour in her eyes.

You got off camera flash? Or a reflector? If not, just use those car sun reflector thingys. Bring to the right of the subject (so to the left of the pic). SOme sort of light to the left of her (right of the pic). So the reflector will now shine as a fill light into her eyes.

Also focus on her eyes rather than the nose.

Move back from the subject a little too.

Just thought i would help as this could have been a killer shot.

Hahaha, all good Sidd, thanks for that. I'll certainly take that all on board, but...*

*Disclaimer: I should have mentioned that this was one of those "point and shoot" moments, I literally just turned the camera on, pointed, focused right in and fired off a photo. The camera was in full auto mode too. I can't remember if I used the flash at all, I'll have to check the photo details later...

I don't have reflectors, but I do have an off-camera flash.

Sorry Sidd, didn't see your post lol.

Whenever you want man, i'm ready and not busy within the next 3 weeks or so. I dont finish work until 530 but and im on the beaches, so would have to be on a weekend! Whens the next model shoot?

As soon as i get my cokin holders i will give you a pm. I will come to your hood this time if you want.

Not to sure when the next model shoot is. Most likely next Thursday in the city. Going for the Urban look with the city lights in the background etc. I got matt mead to come along as well. So if your keen let me know. But the model hasn't confirmed yet :)

Wow sidd stunning photographs! amazing :laugh:

i sometimes use photos from here as wallpapers on my comp at work, something nice to look at :)

hehe go for it mate :laugh: Thanks for the kind words.

However i still think Korys seascape stuff is much better than mine!! Look a few pages back :)

Hahaha, all good Sidd, thanks for that. I'll certainly take that all on board, but...*

*Disclaimer: I should have mentioned that this was one of those "point and shoot" moments, I literally just turned the camera on, pointed, focused right in and fired off a photo. The camera was in full auto mode too. I can't remember if I used the flash at all, I'll have to check the photo details later...

I don't have reflectors, but I do have an off-camera flash.

No worries mate. Just thought i would let you know if you did wanna try it again?

Yea you did use flash.. You can see it in the pic.

Btw if you ever wondered what lighting professionals use in some of these glamour shots, look straight into the eyes of the model. You will see the reflections of either a softbox or a umbrella or other lighting methods..

Sam nice pic mate.. I like the detail in the rocks at the bottom. You always seem to be going to these lovely places!!

Edited by siddr20

lol, thanks Sidd. I think Zennon goes to more nice places though :) Or he lives in a nice place.. one of the two?

these shots are just from Kiama, went there over the weekend.. not far from Woollongong

No worries mate. Just thought i would let you know if you did wanna try it again?

Yea you did use flash.. You can see it in the pic.

Btw if you ever wondered what lighting professionals use in some of these glamour shots, look straight into the eyes of the model. You will see the reflections of either a softbox or a umbrella or other lighting methods..

Yep, sweet! I've had my DSLR for all of 3 months, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can, and any pointers given are greatly appreciated.

Oh, I bought the 50mm f/1.8 ES today and fired off a few shots this arvo, so I'll be going through those later and seeing what results I got. I was really happy with the photos I took when I borrowed the same lens from Xmetal. Hopefully with time I'll be able to post better and better shots with all my lenses.

My cousin just bought a 1000D twin IS kit, and she bought the same lens today too. (What little knowledge I've gained so far I'm passing on to her.) She's about to go with her hubby and kids to NZ and I told her she should try and get a tripod but she doesn't want something that's going to weigh her down - any pointers on something VERY affordable* and VERY compact?

*Note: I like to buy things that are good value, not cheap, if you know what I mean. Cheap, in my mind, basically means you're usually paying a low price because the quality of the product/service is crap. I don't want that for me or anyone I know.

Haysey - Man thats impressive for point and shoot dude!! nice :D

GoldZilla - You will have loads of fun with that 50mm f1.8!! Wish i still had mine.. But think my next lens will be a 50mm f1.4.

he's about to go with her hubby and kids to NZ and I told her she should try and get a tripod but she doesn't want something that's going to weigh her down - any pointers on something VERY affordable* and VERY compact?

Wish i took my tripod to Europe with me. Even a really cheap tripod would have been enough. One thing i regret not taking!! But depends if she is going to take pictures at night?? Then take a tripod, otherwise day time you don't really need it.

Otherwise do what i did. Put the camera on top of a bin, tree trunks, side rails.. etc etc..

When i show cased my europe photos to my family and friends, my traveling buddy made me a slideshow showing all the places i rested my camera on to take a photo lol.. Was funny!! Even had it on someones back one time lol..

Anyways..

Manfrotto (however you spell it) tripods are well worth the price :D

So if you wanting a good sturdy damn good tripod look for those.. But be prepared to pay a bit.

Some recent shots:

IMG_1349copy1_pp_crop.jpg

IMG_1326_pp1_resizesigborder.jpg

Edited by siddr20

nick, yeah huge difference when i uploaded to imageshack, fb is rubbish lol

sidd, i thought it was good for a POS (point and shoot lol) just tinkering with the settings, best thing was i covered my camera in beer, dropped it in the snow, chucked it at my mate, fell on it, etc... shockproof/waterproof ftw