SAU Community

Prefference For Stroker Cranks 77.7 Or 73.7mm Stroke.

STATUS

Which stroke would you prefer?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hang on, what we're talking about is a crankshaft for an inline 6, right?

By that logic, _those_ guys that have copied the relevant Nissan dimensions (e.g. rod-rod distance) should not be doing that; and Nissan should not be selling a 4-stroke motor with overhead cams, and ...

Far better to pool all that knowledge; get what works, and use that as a basis for future refinement. Kind of what we use the forums for. Stop people repeating the same mistakes.

R&D is about being first-to-market or improving on an existing design to make sales. I bet the very first <foo> crankshafts were simple copies of Nissan's cranks with some minor changes.

Then more technology from e.g. the racing world was imported. Did HKS invent the counter-balanced crank? No. How about knife-edging? Nup. Do some of their cranks have those features? You bet.

Have they got an advantage for being first- or best-to market? Yes. Should that advantage continue in perpetuity? Hell no.

If the design _can_ be patented (good luck doing that with a crankshaft unless it has some completely new feature) then the innovator gets some extra benefits other than actually being in the market.

Let's face it; there are only so many options for crank dimensions, design, and materials choice for the RB26. Most of those options would already have been explored.

A good crank will incorporate the good and leave out the bad. I say bring on more people making quality crankshafts.

Regards,

Saliya

I think it's more the chineese copyin, claiming it's a "HKS" yet it's made out of very low quality steel and is bent from the factory... That's the issue.

Nothing wrong with copying, so long as you're not claiming it is something it isn't, or trying to make it look like them.

77.7 please!

just jap sell a brand spanking 26 crank for $1190

but If a stroker crank was available Id get one for sure.

the stock stroke crank will come in about the same as the above price, the 77.7mm will be dearer but not much.

the stock stroke crank will come in about the same as the above price, the 77.7mm will be dearer but not much.

count me in for a stocker than in a couple months, how long away do you reckon they'll be? 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

Well this thread seems to just have faded away, 73.7mm full counter crank would spin up so fast and redline around 9500 - 10?

What became of this, has any one used a 73.7mm crank? 

Im looking for a Full counter normal stroke crank.

2 hours ago, Asphalt Jet said:

Well this thread seems to just have faded away, 73.7mm full counter crank would spin up so fast and redline around 9500 - 10?

What became of this, has any one used a 73.7mm crank? 

Im looking for a Full counter normal stroke crank.

https://www.junauto.co.jp/products/crankshaft/index.html

https://www.hirano-tire.co.jp/tomei/rb26/rb26-1-5.html

http://www.nitto.com.au/products/crankshafts.html?vehicle=nissan

https://nlgroupautoparts.en.alibaba.com/product/60813976018-805081960/Top_Quality_Billet_Racing_Crank_shaft_for_Nissan_RB26_RB26dett_Engine_Crankshaft.html?spm=a2700.icbuShop.41413.19.746a66b5HATbqZ

Have you seen this?

JUN Auto is about an hour from my house:)

TOMEI has had some internal conflicts resulting in a split between both founders, a subsequent business opened called Real Speed Engineering or RSE , oddly enough since both parties are were founders both parties share the patents LOL

On 8/18/2019 at 10:05 PM, Asphalt Jet said:

TOMEI has had some internal conflicts resulting in a split between both founders, a subsequent business opened called Real Speed Engineering or RSE , oddly enough since both parties are were founders both parties share the patents LOL

I was looking at some of their cams a while back and was wondering where they popped up from. Ended up getting some custom Camtechs out of NSW made up instead to feed the EFR.

So has one partner started RSE and the other still running Tomei?

You should put a Jun 2.8 kit or the famous 2.7 seeing as how they are so close, they can do your block also and set it up perfect!

I'm about 5 hours drive away from you by the look of it.