SAU Community

Changes To Personal Import Laws

Iron Chef

It seems DoTaRS decided to update their website regarding personal imports a couple of weeks ago without letting anyone know, RAWs included...

It's still 12 months ownership to bring a personal import into the country, but now you can only do one every 5 years, as of 18 November 2010. Fail.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh...ria_2.aspx#five

Read the grey box at the bottom of the section.

Well when an email like this was spammed out people go "what the F#*K".......... Then changes happen.

We are seeking an Australian who is already in the United States or intending to travel there shortly, to assist with a personal import. Very minimal time and effort would be required. Naturally the person must be 100% reliable and trustworthy, and be in the States for more than 12 months. If you know someone who may be suitable then please contact us for full details.

"personal imports"

Does that mean:

A business can buy more than 1 imported vehicle every 5 years

An agent can trade as usual, but register the cars in their business name, then transfer to the customer?

Or, it does not apply to RAWS at all?

Edited by nicr4wks

It seems DoTaRS decided to update their website regarding personal imports a couple of weeks ago without letting anyone know, RAWs included...

It's still 12 months ownership to bring a personal import into the country, but now you can only do one every 5 years, as of 18 November 2010. Fail.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/veh...ria_2.aspx#five

Read the grey box at the bottom of the section.

Look I would be last person to defend Dotars, but realy, so what? How many people are going to live overseas for 12 months or more then want to return (permanantly) to Oz with their car twice within 5 years?

Yeah I can understand the frustration with the lack of communication (not just Dotars but most govt departments) but how many people would the change actually affect? Or is it just targetted at the, ummmm, "prestige" end of the market? :P

It changes the decisions for three or four ex-pats I know currently in Japan all looking for cars, one of whom is after an R35. I'm seeking a bit of clarification on it before they can purchase something.

But yes I suspect it is probably more aimed at the top end of town - I think there might be more 22Bs here than in Japan these days...

What the f**k!

That is ridiculous. Personal imports respresent such a small portion of imports into Australia, why would they do that.

I feel like writing a letter in complaint.

Write one I would love to see there reply if they even send one.

Write one I would love to see there reply if they even send one.

I dont think i am going to, but i am a bit annoyed by the change.

It changes the decisions for three or four ex-pats I know currently in Japan all looking for cars, one of whom is after an R35. I'm seeking a bit of clarification on it before they can purchase something.

I would assume that purchases prior to 18 of November 2010 wouldnt be affected by this change, right?

Edited by BigWillieStyles

you would have to be nuts to bother with a grey euro anyway. imported used euros and the type of buyers for those cars just don't go together. they want warranty, and love from the local dealership. not some bloke a compliance plate.

it definitely puts the kibosh on a little sideline for guys living in japan but apart from that it doesn't really affect anyone. it just denys us a few more special unique cars that have come in as PI's over the years. :(

it's a bummer, but not the end of the world. :)

I don't think it would be possible to forge that. if you could do that you could just about print money as they need your passport, japanese rego, tax, parking space papers, and any entry and exit stamps on your passport. so if you can forge that I say forget doing personal imports start selling forged passports and fake money!!! :P

Hello guys,

I just wrote this up on the NS.com forums but thought I would paste here as well :cheers:

well Dotars have decided to make it really hard for us Personal importers. As of November we now have to give evidence on when we are returning to Australia indefinitely. Prior to this change, we didnt have to return indefinitely. I got a surprise email from them today as they are processing my Legacy. They give a number of options for evidence you can provide each with different points attached to add up to 100 points. You have to be able to make 100 points. I kind of feel the options they have given are quite limited.

Fortunately I am planning on returning early 2010 but its a bit of a pain getting the extra documents. They didnt have this on the website when I wrote up my import request.

I would imagine its going to muck a few people up who have already purchased a car but arent ready to leave yet.

Will

• 1 month later...
I don't think it would be possible to forge that. if you could do that you could just about print money as they need your passport, japanese rego, tax, parking space papers, and any entry and exit stamps on your passport. so if you can forge that I say forget doing personal imports start selling forged passports and fake money!!! :blush:

Is anyone here able to advise on the cost of OWNING a car in Japan for one year (normal scenario of ownership - nothing too bizarre) - so If I was heading over (say in March) and chose to stay 12 months and purchase such a car - I'm assuming I need to buy one over there (can i do this myself) and register it (can i do this too) - and what costs for registration, transfer and stamp duty, etc

For arguments sake - let's say I got an R35 GTR at circa 5.5M yen....

can anyone assist?

Thx!

Is anyone here able to advise on the cost of OWNING a car in Japan for one year (normal scenario of ownership - nothing too bizarre) - so If I was heading over (say in March) and chose to stay 12 months and purchase such a car - I'm assuming I need to buy one over there (can i do this myself) and register it (can i do this too) - and what costs for registration, transfer and stamp duty, etc

For arguments sake - let's say I got an R35 GTR at circa 5.5M yen....

can anyone assist?

Thx!

Rent - Smaller towns, 5manyen per month, 8 manyen(1000 bucks) in Osaka for a single room.

Car parking in big cities may cost 3manyen per month, smaller cities and towns 1-1.5manyen per month, so if you have a free parking it all helps.

Rego and insurance - no idea, but I doubt it would be cheap. For something like R35 I would be very surprised if you would pay anything less than 3-4,000 bucks per year to insure, as ex-pat, and for a fairly exxy car.

So unless you have a great job there, and free accomodation and parking, and you are going there anyway and car buying thing is secondary thing I wouldn't bother. But if it works out for you, you could have an R35 for $75,000 - not bad dude.

Good luck anyway.

Rent - Smaller towns, 5manyen per month, 8 manyen(1000 bucks) in Osaka for a single room.

Car parking in big cities may cost 3manyen per month, smaller cities and towns 1-1.5manyen per month, so if you have a free parking it all helps.

Rego and insurance - no idea, but I doubt it would be cheap. For something like R35 I would be very surprised if you would pay anything less than 3-4,000 bucks per year to insure, as ex-pat, and for a fairly exxy car.

So unless you have a great job there, and free accomodation and parking, and you are going there anyway and car buying thing is secondary thing I wouldn't bother. But if it works out for you, you could have an R35 for $75,000 - not bad dude.

Good luck anyway.

Work - not a problem. I work in IT on large scale CIS for utilities, and one of Japan's largest uses a CIS on which I've got years of experience. I can get a job (and a well paid one) there quite easily. I don't believe that secondary matters like 'can I import vehicle X?' are a pivotal consideration for me, however ...forewarned is forearmed....and hence no harm in doing such research. If I were to go, the plan would be to get 2 x R35 (one for myself, and one for the missus), I'm just 'curious' to know what the 'total cost of ownership' (as distinct from purchase price) would be for a year, assuming normal driving patterns given my these circumstances.

My main driver is simply that I wish to travel whilst working O/S, so if I can get 2 x R35 GTR at $150K total cost over 1 year then that's a real kicker, as it makes the experience that much more (economically) viable.

My first instinct was to do 12 months stateside so as to get 2 x Z06 (or similar), allowing me to bypass the exorbitant cost of compliance on such cars ($50K AUD, give or take), however I am assured that the Vette's are a particular pain in the neck and simply bypassing the RAWS legislation by way of the personal import laws wouldn't bring that much advantage. Not to mention, who in their right mind would want a Z06 when they could have an R35?

Thanks for the feedback - any further detail on Japanese ownership costs would be appreciated. For arguments sake, I would be working in tokyo. My rent will be paid. I would not require the vehicle for commuting at all.

Edited by Specul8or

you would have to be nuts to bother with a grey euro anyway. imported used euros and the type of buyers for those cars just don't go together. they want warranty, and love from the local dealership. not some bloke a compliance plate.

it definitely puts the kibosh on a little sideline for guys living in japan but apart from that it doesn't really affect anyone. it just denys us a few more special unique cars that have come in as PI's over the years. :rant:

it's a bummer, but not the end of the world. :P

you would be surprise at the amount of grey euro imports that are around in australia. alot more than you think :P