SAU Community

What Is Everyone's Obsession With Saying 'jdm'?

Rolls

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its a way for people to feel like they imported their vehicle and all their parts, and did all their own work. Should see USA based forums, they use the term for just about anything they buy outside of the US.

Me and a few mates use the term as a joke.

I'm soo JDM, even my FUSEBOX is written in JAP! :)

Too me JDM means the car has been modified in a way that is usually unique to Japanese modified cars.

Ie. a supra with 20" chromies and a tan leather interior with down lights isn't JDM.

Too me JDM means the car has been modified in a way that is usually unique to Japanese modified cars.

But that is the whole point, it doesn't mean anything at all like that!

It means jap domestic market, each every single car that was marketed and sold in japan is JDM. It is nothing special at all.

JDM makes a lot of sense when referring to cars like the R35 GTR which also has an ADM (australian domestic market) version.

The other reason to use JDM is because some of our imports were ONLY available for the japanese domestic market, and were specifically designed for it. The stagea is one example of this. It wasn't sold outside japan at all.

That said, I would only use the term to differentiate between versions of the same car...

Its a way for people to feel like they imported their vehicle and all their parts, and did all their own work. Should see USA based forums, they use the term for just about anything they buy outside of the US.

Me and a few mates use the term as a joke.

I'm soo JDM, even my FUSEBOX is written in JAP! :down:

I think you're up to about 140% JDM now man.

By rights you shouldn't even be able to talk english anymore.

Goddamn scissor engines... with their cold air and their poodles.

this thread sums it up perfectly - jdm applies to cars such as R32gtr, R35gtr, S15 silvia, 300zx... you have ADM and JDM examples, which denotes their worth..

i get annoyed when looking at R33 sales and the seller will say it's a JDM R33 - as opposed to WHAT!?!

or when a soarer seller will say it's a JDM original toyota soarer, not a lexus...

...there are no such thing as lexus SC in australia - unless it's a personal import from the states...

It means jap domestic market, each every single car that was marketed and sold in japan is JDM. It is nothing special at all.

do you get all upset about the term 'mag' as well? I'm sure there's other terms around that evolved in common usage to describe something other than its original literal definition.

people that actually use the Term "JDM" are JDIdiots full stop.

That or your a yanky or a kiwi, in which case your excused if your alittle slow lol :down:

do you get all upset about the term 'mag' as well? I'm sure there's other terms around that evolved in common usage to describe something other than its original literal definition.

Only when they are totally abused to the point they have no meaning anymore.

Mag wheels generally refer to any alloy rim but it is hardly ever used and definitely not in the same wanky way that JDM is, so no it does not make me upset :down:

My favourite other term is carbon fibre seat covers.

By which they mean arse burning vinyl.

Just like you Grandad's HQ Holden.

JDM: the new sex spec.

the US has their whole own take on JDM lol, that and anyone with a non V8 car being called a 'tuner'!

JDM IMO is just to denote that a car or a part was originally sold exclusively in the Japanese market.

Kinda like you have a JDM R31 Rolls :down:

I know thats not what the original version of the word is. Obviously its Japanese Domestic Market. But what im saying is in today's world, people use it to describe the particular way a car is modified. I'm not saying i embrace these words but it is what our society uses. JDM, Sex Spec, VIP, Muscle etc. It's just words that people use for a descriptive purpose of a car. There are no preset rules to modify a car, therefore people like to categorise the certain ways people have modified them.

I know it can be annoying and stupid, but im sure most of us on here understand if some one says "For Sale, Sex Spec S15" or "For Sale, JDM tuned R32 GTR". Your not going to think the S15 is a drift cop with a matt black paint job and your not going to think that the R32 GTR has a set of Dolce wheels and a pink paintjob.