SAU Community

Point To Point Speed-spotting By Cessna

GTR-N1

I was once caught speeding by overhead aircraft back in '86 as I travelled between Hazelbrook to Woodford. My bad

And then the other night, I saw how the police track you from the plane.

My bone of contention is this:-

Whilst they have an observer punching the stop-watch as the car below crosses a line and times you till you get to the next line,

what if the observer clicks the button a fraction late on the 1st click or too early on the 2nd!!!!!

This means that you're deemed to be travelling too fast when you may not have been!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it'll also depend on the angle of where the plane is looking from, i see this idea as a fail unless they have some gizmos that take ito acount the error margin.... somehow. Should be fairly easy to win in court, much the same as a police officer pulling you over for running a red light, but its proved he can't have made an acurate decision from certain angles and distances....

For example if you look at a speedo needle from the passenger seat of a vehicle, it looks like your doing more than you actually are.

I only figured that out coz way back on my Learners my dad kept telling me to slow down when in fact i was right on the speed limmit.

Doing it with a stopwatch is stupid, they should use timestamped video. If they watch you for a long time, then a few seconds off with the stopwatch will make bugger all difference.

Re the angle (parallax error) at that distance/speed it would be negligible (and you would work it out with high school maths if you had to).

Of course you're far more likely to get caught by a police car, as there's lots more of them....

Using a plane to catch people speeding has to be the most retarded thing ever.

Who pays the fuel bill?

Oh thats right, we do.

With the money they're wasting on that, they could probably employ another few police officers a year and do something about unemployment in the process...

the longer you live, the more things there are that can come back and bite you lol

imagine how many g/fs tiger would have had (and grandkids) if he wasn't caught until age 60 lol

Using a plane to catch people speeding has to be the most retarded thing ever.

Who pays the fuel bill?

Oh thats right, we do.

With the money they're wasting on that, they could probably employ another few police officers a year and do something about unemployment in the process...

The issue isn't about having enough money to employee the coppers, it's about having enough people wanting to do the job. :laugh:

haha I love your threads terry. so random. have you been dwelling on this for 23 years?

they gave up on planes long ago. cameras on poles are soooo much cheaper

Nah, I read in the paper that they're bringing a plane out to monitor the Hume near Marulan / Goulburn over Christmas.

^^^we living on fantasy island now Richard? hehe

I just get pissed off that the Police approach to the whole idea of 'policing' promotes...

i) fear of getting caught by men in blue wearing special leather caps & leather legs

ii) paranoia that you might slip-up even if you don't deliberately speed

iii) ultimatums with words like, "You will get caught" and...

iv) covert cops-can-fly tactic is nothing but revenue-raising

They just don't get the idea that we can appreciate their presence if they could compliment us through incentives.

I'd prefer it if a 'Brownie Point' system could prevail.

Each time you get a 'Brownie Point', you show it to your insurance company next time you pay a premium and get 2% extra on your no-claim bonus (.ie extra 2% off your premium).

But alas, bureaucracy keeps on winning over commonsense.

my rant.. haha..

Common sense and Govt. Departments don't mix, Terry. I worked for one for around 13 years, and the level of stupidity behind some departments, regulations and actions was sometimes beyond belief...

^^^we living on fantasy island now Richard? hehe

I just get pissed off that the Police approach to the whole idea of 'policing' promotes...

i) fear of getting caught by men in blue wearing special leather caps & leather legs

ii) paranoia that you might slip-up even if you don't deliberately speed

iii) ultimatums with words like, "You will get caught" and...

iv) covert cops-can-fly tactic is nothing but revenue-raising

They just don't get the idea that we can appreciate their presence if they could compliment us through incentives.

I'd prefer it if a 'Brownie Point' system could prevail.

Each time you get a 'Brownie Point', you show it to your insurance company next time you pay a premium and get 2% extra on your no-claim bonus (.ie extra 2% off your premium).

But alas, bureaucracy keeps on winning over commonsense.

my rant.. haha..

lol, I agree mate. the whole approach to speed enforcement in this country and this state is arse backwards. it's draconian at best! we pay huge fines, and face loss of work, convenience etc for small infringements even though speeding is not a major accident cause. they should be focussing on road condition, banning re-treads, stricter road-worthy checks that actually check road worthiness (not the loudness of your BOV or the placement of your boost controller FFS), and then spend money on educating people about the dangers of fatigue and driver inexperience and changing weather conditions. some driver training wouldn't hurt either. a 2 day course like they have for bikes would do wonders.

lol, I agree mate. the whole approach to speed enforcement in this country and this state is arse backwards. it's draconian at best! we pay huge fines, and face loss of work, convenience etc for small infringements even though speeding is not a major accident cause. they should be focussing on road condition, banning re-treads, stricter road-worthy checks that actually check road worthiness (not the loudness of your BOV or the placement of your boost controller FFS), and then spend money on educating people about the dangers of fatigue and driver inexperience and changing weather conditions. some driver training wouldn't hurt either. a 2 day course like they have for bikes would do wonders.

This is why beerbaron is the admin/moderator lol :D