SAU Community

Coiliver Decision For R33

schnorky

Hey guys recently my front to shocks starting to f**k up so I'm now in the market for some decent coilovers

I was looking towords the teins but not sure how they go I've herd good and bad things about them

I'm looking for somthing not too stiff but handles good and height adjustable.

If anyone could lead me into the right way will be much approcated

price range is 800-1600

cheers

I've just put tein monoflex in my r33 and ive never been happier!

I paid just over 2.3K including shipping but would never go back.

Also i got mine through nengun tho I would suggest jesse streeter ive been told thats a much faster option..

I've heard BC racing ones arnt too bad either and only around 1500 I believe.

Hope this helped a little :)

Ive tried a couple coilovers, not happy at all with them and just cost me money, the ride was so uncofortably stiff, i was ashamed to take anyone in my car as all it did was bounce way to f&*^ much cause of how stiff,

so i have gone with koni adjustable stiffness struts and hks lowered and hardern springs. It handles way way way better, the price was fair and the comfortableness is amazing.

I also found that with coilovers it handled better then stock but was nowere near as good as the hks springs because the coilovers just bounced, didnt really force the tyre on the road ,

just some food for thought be care with the stiffness mate

i bought some 2nd hand near new Buddy Club (NOT BC) D1+ off the forums maybe 7-8 months ago, couldnt be happier with them, car gets driven around 900km per week and they are more than comfortable enough, and well as holding their own when they need to!

In saying that i have heard good things about the BC coilovers from just jap if your on a budget.

Edited by Silver_GT

Hey guys thanks for the response :) ok I've got in mind teins hks greddy type s and bc, never herd of bc before but there not sounding too bad . My mates got teins nd I'm liking them too and it's a well rep company, does anyone know anyone who can get mates rates for any of these brand coilovers or anyone know where I can get some good priced ones? Cheers again

Hey guys thanks for the response :) ok I've got in mind teins hks greddy type s and bc, never herd of bc before but there not sounding too bad . My mates got teins nd I'm liking them too and it's a well rep company, does anyone know anyone who can get mates rates for any of these brand coilovers or anyone know where I can get some good priced ones? Cheers again

I have tried many brand of coilover on my Evo IX: JIC FLAT2, HKS Hypermax II RS, H&R, Apexi N1 and Ohlins DFV

So far the best were of course the Ohlins but damn they are pricey.

Lot of my friends use BC on their STi and they are very happy, they prefer BC over Tein and Whiteline.

I'm set for my GTS25T on BC, they are pretty cheap compared to JDM high brand name and they will fit perfectly for average Joe.

Edited by Mevo

8kg front is very very firm - well essentially plain hard. I've driven an GTST with 8/6 and compared to my king spring/Bilstein/whiteline sway-bar combo it was worse in every respect (except maybe a smooth track or drifting).

Hopefully you can get something softer.

I just fitted some APEXI adjustable damper shocks (bought of this forum) with TEIN S tech springs and couldnt be happier. Mind you I was going from standard shocks which were so badly stuffed I think I just had springs for suspension lol.

But seriously the Tein springs lowered it nicely, are slightly stiffer(although not as much as quoted but I don't think they ever do) and mixed with a good shock gives a good combo for me. I think the TEIN coilovers would be very good if you could get spring rates of 6/4 or something like that.

Ive got BC BR coilovers in my 33 s1. Put them in last night, height and damper adjustable. They are firm but in my oppinion they arent too firm for street use.

I picked them up brand new and delivered for 1250, got a set for my silvia as well. Easy to fit and adjust.

So far would definately recommend but we'll see how they go.

Oh and they go low low low low haha.

coilovers are generally designed for motorsport use, therefore are hard and noisy, they also have a short life-span. as 5000 track km is a couple of race seasons, 5000km 0n the road is 3-6 months.

Buy something that is serviceable as street driving will work them hard.

There are plenty of shock and spring combinations that are better suited for a daily driver and cheaper.

In the end 'Schnorky' there is always going to be a debate on this issue as different people like/try different things. I think it will just come down to you making a choice and seeing how it goes with the type of driving you do, the condition of the roads around you etc. If you buy coilovers and they are to stiff for your set-up then you can always sell them and try something different (normal shocks and good springs for instance).

Good luck and let us know what you buy and how it goes. Because I debated for a long time whether to get coilovers or a new shock/spring upgrade. I went with the latter.