SAU Community

Jb Hifi Bad Install In M35

jpave

So took my car into jb to get a head unit, 6.5'' splits, amp and alarm installed.

Dropped it off first thing in the morning then picked it up at 5 and the guy doing the installs was saying "oh sorry man im not finished ey i had to pull so much apart just to get the head unit in and your car is so hard to work on and get apart."

So he got everything done except the alarm.

Then i start the car and it had like an earth hum/engine noise through the speakers and he said "yeh thats just cause the battery went flat it should come good once it gets some charge into it." Which it hasn't so now i cant even use my stereo at all because of this high pitched hum.

Then on the way home i discover that one of the front woofers and one of my rear speakers isn't working.

And also the windows are struggling to wind up or down because they get caught on the speakers.

The head unit sits out to far as-well like it doesn't sit flush with the rest of the dash. Anyone else have the same problem with an alpine head unit in an m35?

It sucks because i have already paid and i don't want to let this monkey near my car again.

So just wondering are the head units really that hard to install in m35's?

Are there any other good installers on the coast because I am yet to find one that actually cares about the cars they work on. All the installers i have seen just want to slap head units in and push the cars out as quick as they can, i want someone who is actually interested in making things look neat and tidy.

Does chris rogers do gold coast installs?

So took my car into jb to get a head unit, 6.5'' splits, amp and alarm installed.

Dropped it off first thing in the morning then picked it up at 5 and the guy doing the installs was saying "oh sorry man im not finished ey i had to pull so much apart just to get the head unit in and your car is so hard to work on and get apart."

So he got everything done except the alarm.

Then i start the car and it had like an earth hum/engine noise through the speakers and he said "yeh thats just cause the battery went flat it should come good once it gets some charge into it." Which it hasn't so now i cant even use my stereo at all because of this high pitched hum.

Then on the way home i discover that one of the front woofers and one of my rear speakers isn't working.

And also the windows are struggling to wind up or down because they get caught on the speakers.

The head unit sits out to far as-well like it doesn't sit flush with the rest of the dash. Anyone else have the same problem with an alpine head unit in an m35?

It sucks because i have already paid and i don't want to let this monkey near my car again.

So just wondering are the head units really that hard to install in m35's?

Are there any other good installers on the coast because I am yet to find one that actually cares about the cars they work on. All the installers i have seen just want to slap head units in and push the cars out as quick as they can, i want someone who is actually interested in making things look neat and tidy.

Does chris rogers do gold coast installs?

I would go back and speak to management, try and get some cash back.

Then drive to Chris.

Pffft if I had a dollar for everytime I hear about a dodgy wow or jb install I wouldn't have to go to work tomorrow :) I've had shocking experiences with both and at various stores. I will never ever let any one of them near any of my cars again. Mind you their sales peoples knowledge is pretty sub par to say the least too. And I'm not just talking about the car audio side of things either. When ever I have asked a particular question about a product I just get a blank face and you can almost hear their brain ticking over trying to come up with something to say. Look they are good stores to shop at if you want cheap stuff as their prices are pretty hard to beat (talking about retail prices not internet prices) but thats pretty much it. Best to reseach what your interested in before going in because you'll be lucky to find out what you want to know instore.

I had to argue with the sales guy a number of times to get the long list of issues fixed on my 180sx. And after he ran out of excuses and gove up trying to sting me for more cash to fix what should have been done right in the first place I eventually got it all sorted out but it took a number of trips back and forward. There don't seem to be many dedicated car audio places around anymore so it does make it hard to find a good one.

Good luck with it anyway man....

"So just wondering are the head units really that hard to install in m35's?"

Bit of a pain, yes. G35ipod site helps (it, of course, was down when I did mine :) )

"Does chris rogers do gold coast installs?"

I would imagine so, fire him a PM or call and find out

Edited by iamhe77

I got my headunit installed in my M35 by autobarn at Browns Plains, QLD. I provided the document from that G35 ipod site thinking that might help them pull the dash apart. I'm not sure if they used it or not but the install was done in 1 hr while I went shopping. The only thing I could find wrong with it is 1 part of the dash not sitting 100% flush when put back together...but its not really noticeable unless you look real close (driver side, left of footwell) and I cant remember if it was like it before. All in all they did a pretty good job.

The unit does stick out a bit too, and it has a flip-down face which catches slightly on the bottom when you flip it down - so not sure if they had to sit it further out because of this. I just presumed it sat like that because it is a VDO Dayton stereo - I guess they're a little different to the more mainstream ones. I bought it because it plays OGG files and being a linux/open source nut a lot of my music is in OGG and this saved me converting it all to MP3. Plus it has SD card support, USB, and aux in (+mp3 cd etc) so I have many ways of playing my audio.

Have a look for the G35 ipod install documentation as far as pulling the dash apart goes. The M35 dash is almost identical to the V35/G35, with the exception that the american versions will obviously have many things on the opposite side of the car.

As for the doors, I've still got the stock speakers in so I cant really give any advice there...

Chris Rogers has done a lot of audio/electronics work on M35's so give him a call if you want it done right :ermm:

ok so jb hifi wouldn't give me any money back on the stuff they had already installed and insisted i just let them fix it for free but there's no way im letting that monkey hack my car up anymore.

I think this is pretty rough paying $300 for a half baked install.

Especially after talking to chris and him saying that its not that big of a job.

I guess ill just have to make a trip up to brissie and get chris to do the job unless there is someone on the coast that has worked on M35s and actually knows what there doing.

The worst thing about the installer is he didn't even realize that the windows weren't going down or that one of the speakers weren't working.

If you have an M35 Don't use JB HIFI Bundall for stereo installs

Edited by jpave

take it back and let them have the car for longer

give them a chance to fix it properly without a manager breathing down their neck and so they can take their time.

yes its inconvenient - but so is going to court or creating such a fuss that you end up with a shit install with shit sound and completely out of pocket (if it eventuates)

just be nice - explain your issues - throw them the keys and tell them to fix 1, 2, 3, 4 untill you are happy.

its obvious that they bit off more than they could chew with your install (ie not replacing a tape deck with a mp3 in an eb facon) and rushed it.

although its bad practise on their behalf, give it back to them to "finish" and give them a chance to redeem themselves.

then just dont go back there for future installs and dont advise your mates.

they (outlet managers etc) will not want a bad example of their workmanship ruining their reputation

Obviously $300 is not worth going to court over.

Don't go back because chances are they don't have the capacity/skills to redeem themselves (I would not think that it is hard to plug in speakers after installing them) and its more likeley they will have the shits and probably do burnouts in your car or something vindictive.

People here are recommending someone else so just take it to him and don't go JB again.

You will be so much happier picking the car up with everything working from the guy that is being recommedned (Chris) rather than having to drive to JB for the next few weeks getting them to fix their own mistakes (as chanes are they will not get it right first, second or third attempt).

Obviously $300 is not worth going to court over.

Don't go back because chances are they don't have the capacity/skills to redeem themselves (I would not think that it is hard to plug in speakers after installing them) and its more likeley they will have the shits and probably do burnouts in your car or something vindictive.

People here are recommending someone else so just take it to him and don't go JB again.

You will be so much happier picking the car up with everything working from the guy that is being recommedned (Chris) rather than having to drive to JB for the next few weeks getting them to fix their own mistakes (as chanes are they will not get it right first, second or third attempt).

i used to do similar installing etc

things do slip out the door unnoticed - or past quality control - or a worker drops his/her game for a day and you have to clean it up through warranty.

i'm just suggesting that you give them ago since they are offering to do it for free

going back nicely usually results in a good outcome - when people came back to us we kissed arse

if you go in there waving your hands, being abusive and offensive then you MAY end up getting your shit mistreated

or speak to the manager when you take the car back - dont burn your bridges before you cross them

not the most desirable solution but so is being out of pocket $300

if you buy a carton of beer from BWS and find it has 23 - you dont go to liquor land buy one can

you take it back and get what you paid for

I heard bad things about JB so i went to an installer that knows imports well (complete options, on westall road in clayton south)

they did quite a good job and it wasnt expensive at all and i chose the headunit FROM JB hifi and they got one at a better price for me.

also installed my mongoose m80g at the same time :thumbsup:

only thing they didn't do was push the middle vent in fully and it fell out onto the front seat from all the Stag Powa.. i clicked it in properly and all good! :rofl:

im gonna head back and get my sub (10" alpine type R) installed when i get an amp for it! =]

got quite a good price quote for install too! :rolleyes:

I wont be going back.

I have had bad experiences with their previous installers and no matter how many times i took my last car back they couldn't get it sorted and i thought i would give this new installer at JB a chance.

He blew it, he told me he had balanced and EQ'ed the system and as I'm driving out the driveway i realize one of the woofers isn't working so he was either just talking crap or he actually Balanced my system and didn't notice one of the speakers wasn't working or that they were hitting on the power windows.

This is extremely poor.

I don't really care that there are problems with the install I care that the installer didn't even notice them.

To miss things like that is beyond stupid.

P.S. I think that I was way to calm when i went in and maybe if i had of yelled and dropped a few f bombs i might have actually received some compensation.

But it will all be sorted soon when it goes up to chris who actually cares about doing a good job.

• 1 year later...

i should add mine looks like this the picture attached and is only a single DIN carrozerria unit..

do i still need to remove the entire centre console?

i found this clip on youtube.. looks like a headache!

post-78191-0-10812500-1299148585_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sage222

i am about to changeover my factory headunit to an aftermarket one.. any recommendations for a m35 in melbourne? (my car doesnt have the TV unit).

Contact Adam at Stylyn Car Audio

http://www.stylyn.com/

268 Dorset Road, Boronia 3155, Victoria Australia

I had him fitted a headunit and cruise control on my V35.