SAU Community

1977 Skyline 240 Gl 2 Door

stock510

Hi all,

My old man has stumbled across an as new 1977 Skyline GL 240 (2.4L) 2 door in original showroom condition.

After having a look at the car today ive got to have it :P !

Its got 37000km on the clock, owned by an elderly german couple and has been garaged since day dot. It looks like its brand new.

To be totally honest I have no idea what this sort of car is worth in this condition.

Ive added a couple of photos so you can see the condition of the car.

Just looking for a very rough guide as to what this car is worth.

Much appreciated.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79 ... 010219.jpg

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79 ... 010224.jpg

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79 ... 010226.jpg

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae79 ... 010227.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My old man has stumbled across an as new 1977 Skyline GL 240 (2.4L) 2 door in original showroom condition.

Are you sure of the date, my 3/'77 240K is the model earlier that the one in your pictures,

I thought '78 and onwards were the C210

but it is very clean.

Nigel

4 to 6 k sounds about right to me for something so gorgeous. You are lucky that you probably won't be completing with Arab buyers due to the current global LHD dashboard shortage crisis. I'm a bit suspicious though - what is with the patterned carpet on the driver's side? The carpet shouldn't be cactus after only 37,000kms...

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the buyer asks for $10,000+ for something so rare and smicko, especially if he has spent the last 3 decades taking loving care of it! Not that I'd pay that, I just wouldn't be surprised.

Yeah both sides have that chequered floor matt as a protector, i moved the passenger side to show you how clean the carpet is. Everything this couple own is immaculate, 30 year old dirt bikes look as good as the day they were bought. They say they were raised to really look after their stuff!!

Thanks for the replies gives me a gauge as to the price.

This really is a contentious issue?

These old cars are getting thinner and thinner on the ground and the bottom line is "Do you really want it" because if you do, the sky is the limit.

May I suggest, you best find out IF it's actually FOR SALE????? Because if it isn't for sale and you rock in offering thousands for it, you might find yourself out of the market, because you will trigger the inquisitive streak in the owner and he will go looking for a valuation to satisfy his curiosity.

Once you establish it's for sale you could offer him what the top end of the cars guide suggests and work up from there.

When I bought my PNV I was lucky enough to have a seller that didn't know what he had, but told him I could get one from Japan for about $5000 and would he be happy with that, to which he agreed.

Maybe this would be your best approach???

Cheers, D

Hi,

The other question is what do you intend to do with it once you've got it? To keep the car in good condition (and hold value), it'll have to be garaged and only driven occasionally.

Interesting post Dennis. The two PNVs currently for sale are examples. One modified and well-used. The other mint and only driven on Sundays. Both unsold after many months on the market.

JH

Edited by jrh001

Hi,

The other question is what do you intend to do with it once you've got it? To keep the car in good condition (and hold value), it'll have to be garaged and only driven occasionally.

Interesting post Dennis. The two PNVs currently for sale are examples. One modified and well-used. The other mint and only driven on Sundays. Both unsold after many months on the market.

JH

You have hit the nail on the head. These cars are too old, too nice and too rare as daily drivers. They are not fast enough for a weekend blat or track car. This one especially is valuable due to kms so driving it more than occasionally is out of the question. A good garage is a must and that may mean your other car is on the street. Sure they may appreciate but there is a limit to the value of an old (and not particulary noteworthy Japanese car as this model is). When you factor in the costs of holding it they are never really an investment.

I have most recently been offered $15k for my DR30 (post SAU show and shine) but when it is was for sale I found it difficult to get people interested. When the value gets too high most buyers (and I am generalising) have more options like R32 GTR's, a million R33's and some low end R34's. They really have to want an old Skyline and have somewhere to put it with another car to drive every day.

Re the PNV one of those was mine (the Sunday driver you refer to) and I sold it for under $7 grand when it was in better condition and 30000 less kms. On this part of the forum we love these old machines but how many of us actually have the space and money to keep them.

My 2c!

cheers

Some really important points have been raised about living with an older car.

I hate to admit it but C210's do not cope well with exposure to the elements: read rust and cracked dash for starters. (Speaking of rust pull the boot rubber off and check for rust under there.) So if you can't garage it around the clock you don't want it.

Also, to maintain the cars value you don't really want to cut any holes in it, so forget about a big sound system.

Finally, there is the issue of driving the car. If you live in a city (like me) you have to accept that someone is going to dent your baby, and that is going to be sooner rather than latter the more miles you do. I catch a tram to work, and usually have a daily driver as well to keep my white car off the road, but nevertheless assorted people have crashed up the back of it 3 TIMES, my ex reversed it into a tree, and once someone stopped at a red light, put their car in reverse and backed into it. That adds up to 4 rear bumper bars, 1 front bumper bar and assorted body work. That has been in the space of 4 years.

In short that car probably won't stay gorgeous for long used as a daily and left on the street.

Just a couple of things on the 2 x PNV's for sale.

The ex Ravenoak/Zeb car is currently owned by a guy in Canberra and he paid too much money for it. $6500 or there abouts and he now wants to make a profit from it. He is talking $10000, so he's going to own it for a long time to come. At the time Zeb was selling it, negotiations were taking place in the $4000 area and the reason I didn't buy it was it was not stock. It wasn't a hottie, but 6" speakers in the doors, no rear boot garnish and a few other battle scars and about 150k on the dial, as Zeb used it as a daily driver.

The car in SA that recently surfaced for sale, interestingly enough, went for sale after I emailed the owners to see if they would have it ready for the nationals in September, is in pieces, is unregistered and needs a lot of work to get it back to pristine condition and they're asking between $7000~10000 and have no takers so far.

The $5000 I paid for my PNV was what I could have landed a complied KHR30 for, from Japan at the time. $5700.00 was the exact cost from Japan, so I offered him $5000 as I knew it was for sale, from a previous conversation I had with him about 18 months prior.

As for the Ravenoak DR30, it is by far the best DR I have ever seen in the flesh. I have pictures of it parked in the paddock at Oran Park's Driftland when Ben Ellis owned it and he was there judging the drift competition. A lot of money has been spent on the car since purchase and he gets offered $15000 for it and it's the best I have seen. The R34 owned DR in Perth looks the goods too and he has not got any bites or offers of real dollars for that either.

Now back to subject sorta.

Maybe you should make the approach along the lines ............ when it is for sale, could I have first bite?????

As was said, we here like these old cars, but in reality we are a very small minority and this car can't be a hottie, coz then it's just going to be another C210.

You have to do some soul searching to make the hard decisions you need to make and it will be a very long time investment before you will see the appreciation that old european cars get.

There is only one place these old cars are of any value and that's Japan and you have to get someone's attention over there that would be interested in shipping it back.

Cheers, D

The R34 owned DR in Perth looks the goods too and he has not got any bites or offers of real dollars for that either.

My car is not for sale Dennis

Like I said I'd pay $4k maybe $4.5 for it , but the R34GTT would have to go as I've only got a single garage , I'd only be using it localy a couple of times a week with an occasional run to blow out the tubes , a bit less than I use the R34 for now and I'd use the PT Cruiser for all the shit work like I do now.

The real question is now--do I realy want it ? weeeellll--um--

In a moment of madness a couple of years ago I foreswore performance cars and bought a VW that had had a body off resto had a nice fresh peppy motor in it, good paint and a crap lowering job, steered like a drunken prepi and braked like three leged camel on ice.

I fixed the crappy suspension problems and a couple of other bits and drove it a while.

Got to tell ya the oil puddles on the garage floor blew the novelty factor pretty sharpish, the friggen thing was like an untrainable puppy and the every 5 minutes service requirements along with packing wheel bearings etc soon lost thier appeal as well , aircon--sure--turn the quarterlight 180 degrees open the window ya wimp, I could go on -but strangely I wont, except to say that how soon we forget just what the "back in the day" vehicles were actualy like.

Praps I'd have to say---I think It'd best to have a drive first-- :P

Edited by BASHO