SAU Community

Rb25de (supercharged) Project

A little update....I have finally started finishing this project off now there is adequate space in my old mans shed!

I am hoping to finish it over the Xmas holidays starting from last weekend!

I have pulled the whole fuel system out and I am redoing it all. Going to run twin in-tank pumps to get rid of the fuel smell I had from the external pumps, lines and surge tank arrangement. This should be a lot simpler and neater. I finished off fitting and setting up the rebuilt power steering rack, Worked out the crankcase evacuation setup and tig'd the tube and fittings into the exhaust system which turned out pretty good. I bought a brand new CAS. I ordered a new fuel rail and some Bosch 1600cc Indy blues. Also got a water/meth tank for the boot coming which holds the pump in it to simplify the installation.

I am sure there is more but I cant recall it atm. However it is fricken exciting to be getting back into it finally!

I hope to take a bunch of pictures next time I work on it so you can see where this build is at!

A few pictures of what I spent the weekend working on. I will get some more this afternoon.

I have pretty much built a twin in tank pump arrangement. Budget spec though lol. I just machined a new top cap to replace the plastic one so I could put the fittings how I wanted. Just used a gland nut with 5/16 fuel hose going through it with 7 wires tightly packed down its guts so the fuel pumps get full power supply via a relay and some new extensions for the fuel level sender. Turned out alright and looks like it will work good.

I used twin DW300 pumps attached to the factory bracket and they both 'Y' piece via check valves into a 1/2" hose to feed the AN-8 fitting on the top which will go to the rail. I must apologise about the photo short, I don't think I took any of the whole setup before I installed it into the tank. It took way longer then I had planned and I had the shits.

So I wired it up via a relay block with a 12v/40amp 5pin relay taking the signal wire from the factory fuel pump wiring as you do. I ran the power wiring into the cab and I mounted a re settable circuit breaker under the dash so I can cut the power to the relay when I'm not using the car. The wiring too a long time to do.... I'm not a big fan of electrical work at all. It gets frustrating!

All in all a very non productive weekend. I was hoping to get the power steering pump hooked up and wiring done for it too!

post-12828-0-75437800-1355685230_thumb.jpgpost-12828-0-29579200-1355685251_thumb.jpgpost-12828-0-99774200-1355685391_thumb.jpgpost-12828-0-14387500-1355685428_thumb.jpgpost-12828-0-10135500-1355685449_thumb.jpg

I haven't received any messages buddy. I have a feeling you are still using my old number... I was going to ring you on Saturday for a chat but the day was not going well for me!

With the power steering I have just gotten the earls fittings and power steering hose for the pressure line. I cant even recall what solution you gave me when I posed the issue to you ages ago lol. I think you said to just run the line from the pump to the rack right? No accumulator or anything funny..

Today was first day of holidays thank god! I got stuck into it straight away this morning and managed to get the power steering lines all plumbed up which takes alot longer then you first think. However the whole power steering side is now complete. Whether it works or not I don't know....will see what happens when I hook the battery up and give it some power! I also included a picture of how long you need the high pressure hose to be to run from the rack into the boot.

post-12828-0-73449200-1356087665_thumb.jpg

post-12828-0-45962400-1356087690_thumb.jpg

post-12828-0-99692700-1356087657_thumb.jpg

I also re did the fuel hoses from the new cap on top of the fuel tank. That was also a prick to plumb up. Trying to run one 1/2" hose up and around the fuel tank seemed impossible solo. Had to enlist my little brothers help to get that job done, from there on it was cake. Just feeding it up to the new fuel rail and then from rail to reg and return to tank.

post-12828-0-03423900-1356087674_thumb.jpg

One major problem that I have come across is that my supercharger belt is a fraction too short and wont work. Nobody locally has a 8M HTD belt the right length, which has proven to be a pain in the arse. So I have ordered a few from the states. Hopefully the holidays wont interfere too much with freight. Then the drive system will be sorted finally!

post-12828-0-01547400-1356087682_thumb.jpg

post-12828-0-02358100-1356087698_thumb.jpg

I'll just throw in this picture of where I ran the circuit breaker under the dash that provides power to the fuel pump relay.

I also fitted the patrol alternator but I forgot to take some pictures. The only modification to that for it to fit was to make an extension for the adjuster bracket as that lug is on the other side of the alternator. I just machined up a threaded bush with some rose joints and a few spacer bushes so it picks up the lug and connects it to the adjuster bracket. Its pretty basic.

That's it for now.

Nice work Mike... see how you go with the power steering lines, if you notice slow response then you can hard pipe. If still no good, we can come up with something. Funny, the other day, we were commissioning a new machine and we chopped the pilot hydraulic lines from 14m to 7m as the response was terrible.

Might be an obvious one too, bleed out all air!

Is the Pootrol alternator higher amps?

Thanks mate! Not to worry, if I have any issues first thing I will do is call you!

Bleed air. Check that. I will make sure I do that first.

Yeh its supposed to be 120 or 130amps I think the sparky told me when he tested it.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the last update, aside from family shit for Christmas, all I have been doing is electrical work or so it seems....my most hated part of automotive modifying.

However, all grievances aside I have hooked up the new haltech pro plugin I got and the bigger 4 bar map sensor. I also had to hook up another boost gauge so I can read boost pressure pre-supercharger. That unit also has a map sensor and lots of wiring. While I was at it I figured I should run the loom for the NGK AFR sensor unit and its analogue output to the haltech and finish off the water methanol controller wiring.

All that wiring and mucking around took a good few days. But in there somewhere I also machined up a bezel for the boost gauge and water/meth controller to mount in under the head unit and knocked up some brackets to hold the AFR display to the steering column. After that I realised I had only part finished the water/meth wiring in the boot to the pump! Got that knocked over and tried to tidy up the wiring abortion in the boot. So much crap in there! In one of the photos next to the map sensors mounted on the firewall there is a vacuum manifold that I got off eBay With all the extra crap I am running I didn't have anywhere near enough nipples on the greddy inlet manifold; problem solved now though!

I'm hoping I have sorted out all the electrical side of things which then only leaves me with the fun stuff. Tomorrows plan is to finish adding a few bits to the inter cooler pipe work so I can coat them and hopefully sort out the oil line plumbing! Shit, if I am lucky and get enough time I might even be able to throw some oil in there and try to fire it on the base map :D

post-12828-0-51132300-1356867933_thumb.jpg

post-12828-0-43727700-1356867938_thumb.jpg

post-12828-0-34024600-1356867943_thumb.jpg

post-12828-0-43899600-1356867948_thumb.jpg

post-12828-0-64604800-1356867952_thumb.jpg

post-12828-0-51346900-1356867956_thumb.jpg

post-12828-0-05134000-1356867961_thumb.jpg

post-12828-0-30309700-1356867965_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the next update will actually have something worthwhile to see!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of updates peeps. But I've been working flat out to finish this all so I can get some dyno tuning done hopefully on the weekend!

Tuner came around this afternoon and setup computer and we got it running! Sounds angry! A few little issues to sort out, but nothing major so far. Hopefully it stays that way.

Just gotta setup thermofan tomorrow and fix the little issues and fingers crossed, we will have power figures by Saturday!

I got the battery from a place out at brendale called all star batteries. It's not bad for its size.

Didn't get to do much tuning yesterday :( Bunch of small issues popped up. Boost leaks mainly, and also wastegate wasn't staying shut. Couldn't get much boost out of the turbo. Throttle body also leaks really badly. Need to get a decent quality unit that will bolt upto the greddy manifold.

So could be another week or so before I fix everything and go back.

• 1 month later...