SAU Community

New! Rb Nissan Special Garrett Gt3076r Ball Bearing Turbo

Harey

I did some trail with the "big can actuator" on a GT35 turbine based sleeve bearing turbo in .82 bolton turbine housing with 29mm waste gate port, it held 18psi to red line and made 298rwkws on a stock RB25det.

But same actuator could not hold anything more then 17psi flat to redline on a OP6 based high flowed R34 turbo.

So it depends on the CHRA and housing configuration. How ever You will get better boost curve with external gate.

Other alternative is to build a housing with a external gate port in and out pre the dump pipe area. So you can externally gate a Bolton turbo without making any screamer pipes.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolverine I had looked at them but I kind of want a turbo in between a high flow and 3076, which is where I think the 2835 or 3071 would fit perfectly :D

The GT3071 and HKS2835ProS have 450hp compressors. A GT3076 with a 56 trim compressor is a 500hp compressor.

The turbo that sits between the ones above is a GT3076 in 52 trim. This is a bit more work to find but disco and a few others have sourced them through GCG.

I doubt you will be unhappy with a HKS unit but the price is up there so it is worth the exercise of comparing a garrett unit. You can hardly go wrong with either unit.

If I was replacing a turbo on either of my RB25's right now I would go the 52trim.

yeah you're probably right, well once you figure the additional costs into it, the HKS option does start to look feasible once again!

I *think* that disco may at some point have given a part number for the 52 trim unit but don't quote me on that lol

If I was replacing a turbo on either of my RB25's right now I would go the 52trim.

have a look at the comp map Dale popped up on pg4, compare that to the map of the 3071... my findings and opinion leaned in favor of the 3071.. while on the map only a little, by my thoughts and theory it was a clear call... 3071 was a whole island more efficient in midrange, not AS borderline for surge and a decent whack better using the factory rev range @ max boost.

tho results listed by simon in the rb25+3076 thread provide new light on the 3076 .63 horizon.. ive only really been ruling them out based on .82 results.. yet the .63 results seem to be alot more flavorsome today.. and we all know the RB25 is excellent on the comp map of that turbo...

well that's basically what the Hypergear item is Cartman.

So you're saying Ash that for someone like me who's looking for around 250rwkw @ 1bar or so I'd be better off with say this?

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.p...roducts_id=6598 which is incidentally around the same price as a 3076 highflow?

EDIT: I also noticed that the turbine housing size isn't the same as on the generic turbos... would that likely to be a bad thing?

No its not, this doesnt use the standard core, its a garett dual BB core, its basically a GT3076/3071 that bolts straight up to everything except for dump pipe, however the dump/front is supplied and is 3" with a 2" wastegate pipe that plumbs in about 40cm down the pipe uses factory lines 

no spacer plates, no aftermarket water lines, no intercooler piping changes, no intake pipe changes or any of that other crap required! 

A complete Garrett GT3071R IW or GT3076R IW , the real ones , don't match anything on an RB25det except the mount flange stud pattern . Most of what you have to change is a change for the better so I don't really understand why people try to resist this .

The water banjo fittings are smaller - no drama .

Oil fitting is different and most get/make a suitable braided oil line .

The dump is different - part of the power up improvement process so all good .

Air , outlet needs a bend or elbow and inlet a new pipe .

I think the go is to plan ahead and have everything ready for the changeover . HKS do make it easy with say their complete Pro S kits , it costs good money and I think people may be beginning to understand where it goes .

In some ways I'm a bit surprised that no one makes an air inlet pipe to suit this GT3076R RB25DET conversion . I've not been there yet but I don't reckon mine will have 100mm/4" pipe . The Z32 AFM many use is 80mm from memory and you don't really need 100mm at the compressor housing anyway . The GT37 compressor inducers are ~ 53-57mm depending on trim and the housings boss is only 4" to package the ported shroud , plain boss T04E housings are 2.75" or around 70mm . Probably if anything the smaller volume would cause less dramas for the MAF sensor .

I remember people saying the air returned from the throttle closed recirc valve can cause dramas MAF wise so it probably needs to be closer to the turbo than the AFM and maybe even aimed back towards the compressor housings inlet .

A .

Yeh Disco, I found the hard way with the first intake I made for my car, had no end of dramas with the recirc airflow going the wrong way. Best place would definitely be aiming toward the compressor wheel.

The skyline pipe is so easy to make and fit compared to mine, im fabricating an 80mm alloy one for a mate on here soon. Is there a good market for them? There doesn't seem to be much in the way of large bolt on intakes for RB's, which I find strange considering all the turbo upgrades going on.

• 2 months later...

im curious, how can the hks kits either the 2835pros or 3037pros have the ability to sufficiently have no mentioned spiking issues whilst still being internally gated?

also is it possible to say buy a 3076r and then have the rear hks housing put on if the hks rear housing has better boost control?

thanks

People I've spoken to here don't seem to notice any difference with using the HKS Pro S or Garretts own GT30 IW turbine housings . I know the HKS one looks the part with is scollap'd out vent path but the thing is that the gasses have to do a 90 deg turn to exit an IW turbine housing so that's probably more of an issue that the casting beyond the gates flat valve .

Personally I'm not really sold on divorced dump pipes and as long as there is some kind of barrier to direct gasses out the waste gate hole away from the turbines outlet I reckon alls Ok . Don't people here call the "open" style dump bell mouthed ?

Anyhow more about the HKS Pro s turbos vs the Garrett marketed GT3071Rs and the real GT3076R .

One common factor with the HKS housing'd Garrett turbos is that they ALL have a port shrouded compressor housing when intended for a single RB six application - including the GT2530KAI and the GTRS .

Garrett as a rule don't do this and I reckon only the fact that they make the port shrouded compressor housing for the GT3037/GT3076R that the Garrett marketed ones have the shrouded comp housing at all . In virtually every case where HKS had to have a custom port shrouded housing made the equivalent Garrett marketed turbo hasn't got it .

As for turbine housings the other day I asked Michael at GCG if its possible to Have Garrett's GT30 IW T housings machined to take the cropped turbine and he's not sure .

Also they now keep the 52T version of the real GT3076R in stock because they got lots of inquiries after I bought mine .

Another interesting one is that they now have a backwards hybrid of the GT3076Rs 76.2mm compressor wheel teamed with the GT3582Rs turbine wheel . I suppose you'd call it a ball bearing GT3576R and they said its OE on late Typhoon Foulcans .

Guys I can't say how the 52T GT3037/GT3076R will go on an R33 RB25DET , the theory is that it has a slightly better map and should be slightly more responsive that the 56 comp trim version .

The cropped GT3071R or HKSs GT2835 Pro S often use the same cartridge - wheels - so any smarts is really in HKSs housings .

In my mind the progression of Garrett based GT Ball Bearing turbos for RB25s is GTRS (GT2871R 52T) / GT2835 Pro S / GT3037 GT3076R 52T / 56T / GT3582R .

A little later on if the need arises I'm going to look at ways to make a GT3582R in 52 comp trim but really the HKS developed Garrett "GT3240R" is probably easier if available . Its just a cropped GT35 turbine with a 54 rather than 56T version of the 82mm GT40 compressor wheel .

Cheers A .

if you buy a genuine garret 0.82 rear housing + large can actuator with your 3076 you wont have any issues.

titan: is this from personal experience?how much power and at what boost did u get?

Personally I'm not really sold on divorced dump pipes and as long as there is some kind of barrier to direct gasses out the waste gate hole away from the turbines outlet I reckon alls Ok . Don't people here call the "open" style dump bell mouthed ?

Cheers A .

good write up A

just a question bout this sentence, what dump or dump/front combo for IW would you suggest is optimal?

thanks!

Um its been a while since I looked at the back of a GT30 IW housing but from memory the section the flat valve vents into is in its own well so to speak so it probably doesn't need a divider welded to the turbine housing outlet flange .

I guess if you had a flange with the inbuilt divider section you could form a mandrel bend around the profile of the flange and its bolt holes , ALWAYS make sure you make indents in the tube with enough room to get a ring spanner around the bolts or nuts BEFORE the final welding . Saves lots of swearing later .

I'd be trying to make the first section of the dump off the flange in tube large enough to not have to add the teardrop shape behind the wastegate valve .

I prefer the tube to be as large as can be fit within the space around the dump pipe as this is where the exhaust will be hottest (ex the turbo) and it needs enough volume for the thermal expansion to take place without a pressure rise .

As the gas cools and increases in density (contracts if you like) you can afford to gradually step down the tube size to maintain reasonable gas speed - if it slows or stops you can at times have reversion issues .

Not really sure about the inlet other than considering that there may not be much point in the tube being larger in diameter than the MAF housing assuming you use one . Z32s from memory are 80mm so maybe that size down to the turbo but then an increase in size to suit the 100mm/4" inlet boss if its a GT3076R .

It may pay to feed the throttle closed recirc tube in close to the turbo to try and avoid MAF reversion dramas . I guess if it goes in behind where you step up to 100mm the extra volume may dampen the rush of air from the recirc valve .

Something else to consider is the air filter packaging as I hear its virtually impossible to plumb into an R33s std air-box .

I have not got this far myself with a Skyline so others who've been there would know from experience .

Cheers A .

titan: another thing if the .82 rear would have no flow problems then would it be worthwhile gettin the 1.06 one?

or is that too big?

disco: maybe its late or im just tired but i got a bit confused with your post

which do you suggest is the most optimal for flow... the bellmouth style or a split style such as hks or long split such as the jjr split which is a dump and front in one and the split rejoins half way down the front pipe part...

thanks!

My personal opinion is that a large volume directly behind the turbine housing is the way to go . I think the separate waste pipe would be a PITA to make and you're chaining yourself to the size that it is meaning if its not large enough the wastegating system won't work properly . Also don't forget that these integral wastegate flat valves don't turn the full 90 degrees anyway so its not like the gasses out of the gates hole are going to fire directly out towards a divorced systems tube/pipe . The bell mouth is much easier to make and provided there is some physical barrier separating the turbines and wastegates flow paths I think its good enough in most cases .

I don't think I've ever seen an OE performance turbo engine that used anything but a variation of the bell mouth and many/most are cast outlet pipes .

I think in the bang for buck stakes bell is way to go and my reasoning is that a large volume is just as willing to handle gasses from the turbine or the gates bypass hole . Why limit the bypasses flow potential with a small pipe ?

A .