SAU Community

April Photo Thread

Lepperfish

ill definelty try that, i was playing around with different settings but i dont think i used that one will post up pics when i try it :)

Hmm, the Exif data says that the flash was fired for that first shot.

If you're using Firefox, try this program and take notes of what settings people are using for various photos: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5673. It doesn't work on all photos, but it should help you out.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last shot is great. Would love to see a bigger pic of it.

Agree with Sid - would love to see bigger versions.

CPL you say? Gotta check that out, being car obsessed and all.

CPL = Circular Polarising Filter

And I can't comment if it would actually make car shots better

IMO awesome car shots DO have reflections.

Trick is to not have crappy stuff IN the reflections lol

Erm... CPL DOES cut out the reflections.

As you rotate it lets in light from different angles, so you can twist to let some reflections in, and glare out, or twist to remove reflections and let glare in. It Imagine all the light coming to you is made up of 3 sine waves moving sideways like slinkys. one is horizontal, one is vertical, one is 45" between. The CPL removes the light from ONE of these directions, changing as you rotate it. Wow I sound like professor frink! WHOOO HAveNNNNNN and the MOnkeys!!!

\ |

\ |

--------

| \

| \

I'll post up an example when i get home. I have a few test shots from the same angle to show the difference. :/

Yes get a CPL. It makes HUGE differences. When you stand close to the car though you can move the reflections around with it. Only when an object is farther away can you remove huge amounts of reflections.

This is how you can imagine it works - look at the second picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizer

Basically lots of light coming from all directions - CPL cuts it out and only lets light from a certain direction come through. Rotating it changes this direction.

(direction might not be the best word here but you get the idea)

Back in April 2008 when I bought my first CPL I got it for better colours and cool looking sky's

Here are four sample pics I took (None of them have any PP done)

1_before.jpg1_after.jpg

2_before.jpg2_after.jpg

well the way I thought it worked was as glare being diffracted light and reflections being reflected light, and a polarizer will only permit light in one plane to enter the lens. So my assumption is that a CPL will remove glare, but will only remove the intensity of a reflection, but not completely.

if your polariser is letting in the reflection of a hot chick next to the car, that's a good reflection.

if your polariser is letting in the refection of extra light from the sun you don't want, that's glare!

You know what i mean anwyay :)

You need a little more exposure and post processing on that one. You didn't get anything but the highlights on the car. You're having trouble adjusting for brights to darks.

Try and equal your shot out by the EV reading on the camera compare night and point it at the car and see what the white equals and adjust for the best of both which should be in the middle of both.

Does that make sense to you?

EDIT

Looks like you shot in Auto mode as well, you need to shoot in M (manual) mode and mess around with your EV and Aperture. There are some nice guides here on the forums in this section. As well, you should never let your camera get to 1600 ISO unless it is something you just can not capture any other way. Get grain real bad at those levels.

Edited by AKW

ive had my camera on iso3200 and they dont look like they have too much noise to them but its a bit hard to tell when they were taken at a burnout comp lol

Not sure what Ev is either, but on my Cannon (unsure about Nikons) Tv is Time Variable, meaning you can put it on a tripod and use a longer exposure. Also, try adjusting the white balance to get the colours right.

Btw, your car looks great now. Maybe some clear indicators and some work Meisters would look AWESOME on that thing! Possibly a front mount as well :)