SAU Community

How Much Boost Can I Run Without Snap Crack And Pop ?

Hey all sorry if it's a noob ? And been asked 100000991 times but I'm curious as to how much boost you can run with standard internals ? Would 18psi be alright I've been told you can run upto 20psi but just wanna make sure . Standard internals on a R32 GTR .

Thanks everyone and sorry if it's a repeat thought I'd ask the profssionals !

You're basically asking "how long is a piece of string"

I wouldn't run anymore than 12psi from a standard turbo

10psi on a standard turbo and ECU

20psi on a Garrett GT3076 with water meth

16psi on a Garrett GT3076 without water meth

32.4 psi with a T88

No I won't be running standard turbos . Was maybe going either gt3040 or something . My mate has one on his 25. Just want it to punch in then to haul . Just wondering what the motor itself can do without doing alot of collateral damage .

The question is not how much boost can you run. The question is at what power will the motor start to lose reliability.

Just go for 300awkw and keep everything safe. If it's stock now, 300awkw will feel like a totally new car, and it will be a lot of fun and given your extra grip should be well infront of your mate

Haha yea I only intend to give it " weeties " . Basically I like the way it pulls wen it hits boost . Not really after a big power figure or a dyno superstar I might add also . Just after the pull it gives on boost . Might sound abit weird or crap but yea just like to put the foot down and wind it up. But 300kw would be nice !

my 32 R got Nismo turbos, EBC set for 19psi, gets around 20.5psi on cold nights, Unopened engine, all the supporting mods, bar injectors, had no probs, i drive it on 16psi most of the time, and only 16psi on the track.

Also depends on the motor, how old it is etc

If its a R32 RB26, you are looking @ 15-20 years old, i wouldn't be putting 300rwkw through it personally if i couldn't afford the rebuild. They are getting extremely old now.

I'd stick to 280rwkw, 16psi or so and make sure it's well serviced in the above scenario.

Golden rule with stock RB's, if you cannot afford the rebuild, then don't go chasing even 'reasonable' power.

Thanks for the info deano . Yep hence why I'm not chasing power figure . Just the pull and boost but not more then 18 full is what I'm hoping . It's got 106xx and i'm servicing it regularly as I need to .

Also depends on the motor, how old it is etc

If its a R32 RB26, you are looking @ 15-20 years old, i wouldn't be putting 300rwkw through it personally if i couldn't afford the rebuild. They are getting extremely old now.

I'd stick to 280rwkw, 16psi or so and make sure it's well serviced in the above scenario.

Golden rule with stock RB's, if you cannot afford the rebuild, then don't go chasing even 'reasonable' power.

What part of the engine is getting old? I know the metal will be getting slightly more brittle especially the head, but is the main area of concern the pistons gaskets and rings? I'm guessing there isn't much else to be replaced (cams?), but is that the crux of it?

Also, what sort of power for a R25? I'm guessing the 280kw is more like 260 or so?

yer my car made, 312awkw, on 19psi, i service my car alot, the oil has never been in teh engine for longer than 3000k since ive owned it, and my cars only got 70klm on it, and it has been looked atfer all its life, it also only gets drivin prob twice a month, i always use top shelf oils, and its a really safe tune, see how it gose after a trackday this weekend : D

Hey all sorry if it's a noob ? And been asked 100000991 times but I'm curious as to how much boost you can run with standard internals ? Would 18psi be alright I've been told you can run upto 20psi but just wanna make sure . Standard internals on a R32 GTR .

How much risk are you willing to accept? Basically, more power = more risk of the engine blowing up. Nismoid's suggestion of ~280kw is very safe provided you're changed the turbos, and probably means you can still use the standard injectors and AFMs. IMO 300kw is still very safe on a motor that's running well, and that's where i've stopped. 280-300 is whole new ball game compared to a 175kw stocker.

I have been running 20psi for about a year, and the back turbo has just let go, (most of the turbine is in the Cat..) and it would appear they were actually stock ceramic turbos... (Was running 20psi when it came from Jap, so figured they had to be steel) but it does seem that 20psi is a lot for standard motor, will be aiming to run less with the new turbos

just got mine tuned yesterday on 1.2 bar stock motor unopened but with steel wheel N1 turbo's. made 274 kw and on 1 bar made 256kw

was tuned with power FC

plenty of safe power for a stock 1990 GTR