SAU Community

V36 Sat Nav Conversion

Hi there,

New to the forum but have already gained some great knowledge. I am about to purchase a V36 370GT Coupe 2009 and bring it into Melbuorne. I have been looking at the various soloutions regarding the jap to eng conversions. My questions is that given the Inifiniti in the states is the same vehicle is it feasible to replace the controls and hardware to inifiniti parts??

Failing this is there anybody in Melbourne who can do the English conversion on this model. Would like to look at keeping original and not using thrid party equipment at the moment.

Thanks,

Mark

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mark,

Sorry to say but answer is no.

I've been looking for a solution as well, and unfortunately there's no easy way around it.

I did find a guy in the US though who bought a non-Nav G35 350GT sedan (V36) and he came up with a very good solution.

In short he installed a Kenwood touchscreen in the place of the factory unit. He also got a kenwood Nav system which he hooked up to the screen. The screen has multiple inputs, so he used a switch and input the factory system into one and the nav into another, so he cannot see both at the same time, but basically flicks a switch when he wants Nav and music, and flicks back when he wants ac controls and trip computer etc etc.

Looks like factory and you get an awesome Nav system.

Thanks for this,

Might be a question for the importers, but are the cars shipped out of Japan as "infiniti's" actually thoses that were destined for the states? or are the just badged?

Also anyone out there who is doing the English conversions n the V36 yet?

Thanks again

Hi Mark,

Sorry to say but answer is no.

I've been looking for a solution as well, and unfortunately there's no easy way around it.

I did find a guy in the US though who bought a non-Nav G35 350GT sedan (V36) and he came up with a very good solution.

In short he installed a Kenwood touchscreen in the place of the factory unit. He also got a kenwood Nav system which he hooked up to the screen. The screen has multiple inputs, so he used a switch and input the factory system into one and the nav into another, so he cannot see both at the same time, but basically flicks a switch when he wants Nav and music, and flicks back when he wants ac controls and trip computer etc etc.

Looks like factory and you get an awesome Nav system.

Definitely just badged. To my knowledge no V36 or V35's out of Japan as a genuine infinity was right hand drive. All Infinity's are left hand drive.

And no English conversion that i know of. In all honesty learning the buttons and what they do is not that hard, usually half an hour in the car and you can figure out what most buttons/menu's do.

If you find an english conversion, let us know, but i would want it to look identical to the factory menu/system. I would prefer to keep the Japanese menu than some dodgy looking english version.

I'm yet to receive the v36 (in compliance workshop atm) but had a look through menu on my mates car. It does have about 30-40% in English but it takes time to learn through others since there are > 50 menus.. :P Quality of screen is great though. On par with optional navigation (~ $7000) in X1 which I tested the other day.

think you will run into with the USDM vs JDM is the video format (nismo I think I covered this with you.). if you did get the USDM item then it would be best to get one that is harnessed as that is the only way you will get it to run.

JDM runs DVI and the USDM is analog video.

now to complicate matters if you have the 3 cameras that will take them out as well.

a solution is being done by our russian friend but that is a way off.

Thanks guys for all the great info. Has anyone ever tried switching out the control units from an infiniti, or are you abe to purchase just the buttons anywhere. (For some reason, really want to have the english buttons!!

Looking at the kenwood conversion might be a great option!! Can the wring be set up to work of the existing "sat nav" button on the existing controls? Would like to look using existing buttons than installing a new one to act as the "switch" between the two?

Cheers

Mark

At the moment there aren't enough cars in Aus to warrant investing in the work to make it happen. My v36 is on a boat from japan at the moment, but hopefully the conversion will be available later this year.

Maybe andy65b has an update?

Thanks Chris,

So are you saying that it could be done using the USDM parts?

I was looking at this site.....http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=55&chapter=&Sectionids=3,2413&groupid=7660&subgroupid=4793&componentid=0&make=14&model=G37&year=2009&graphicID=3846130&callout=5&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

What items would I be looking at if this is an option? Switch assembly and dvd unit?

Thanks for your help...Sorry if I am asking questions that already have been answered!!

Mark

Thanks guys for all the great info. Has anyone ever tried switching out the control units from an infiniti, or are you abe to purchase just the buttons anywhere. (For some reason, really want to have the english buttons!!

Looking at the kenwood conversion might be a great option!! Can the wring be set up to work of the existing "sat nav" button on the existing controls? Would like to look using existing buttons than installing a new one to act as the "switch" between the two?

Cheers

Mark

Cheers

Mark

think we posted at the same time. buttons yep. at $550 for the assembly I do not see you lining up for them anytime soon. I have bought the buttons in the past and that was the price at that point in time. if you do buy them they will have to come out of the USA. japan can't buy them and the local nissan dealer cannot either.

as for the kenwood idea - DVI gets in the way! forget trying to get the buttons to run with it. unless you can code in POSIX and J1850 or CAN its not going to happen.

Thanks Chris,

So are you saying that it could be done using the USDM parts?

I was looking at this site.....http://www.infinitipartsusa.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=55&chapter=&Sectionids=3,2413&groupid=7660&subgroupid=4793&componentid=0&make=14&model=G37&year=2009&graphicID=3846130&callout=5&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

What items would I be looking at if this is an option? Switch assembly and dvd unit?

Thanks for your help...Sorry if I am asking questions that already have been answered!!

Mark

to do it PROPERLY would take $6K of bits. been there already with a 370Z.

Thanks Chris, would probably have to lookup what POSIX and J1850 are before going any further with the conversation.....

:(

think we posted at the same time. buttons yep. at $550 for the assembly I do not see you lining up for them anytime soon. I have bought the buttons in the past and that was the price at that point in time. if you do buy them they will have to come out of the USA. japan can't buy them and the local nissan dealer cannot either.

as for the kenwood idea - DVI gets in the way! forget trying to get the buttons to run with it. unless you can code in POSIX and J1850 or CAN its not going to happen.

Chris,

Would it be ok to may be give you a call at the office? Seems like you have a lot of experience with these things.

Cheers,

Mark

fair enough. people tend to thing because the car LOOKS teh same its WIRED the same. not the case.two different cars for two different markets.

Sorry Chris, hectic day no time to call, heading OS for a week. Will be in touch on return. Will be placing my order for a V36 when I get back so need to get serious.

Cheers,

MArkj

We are currently working on converting the V35/M35 series 2 cars and we hope to have this ready by mid this year (shit this is getting close).

The schedule is that once the V35 series 2 is complete we will be working on a solution for the V36. This is aimed to be in place late this year.

Cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, I am also new to the site. I have a 2007 V36 370GT Coupe and have had it now for a little over 18 months. I think I might have been one of the first in Aus to have one. Anyway I have taken the plunge and bought the whole in-dash set up from the States, the Jap voice was giving me the shits. I bought the screen, loom, all panels the button cluster, brain, and it even came with the little analog clock. (Infiniti decals and all). it was a little $$$ but hey I paid so much for the car already. I am looking for a a decent car tuning store that can set this all up for me in Syd. I realise to an extent I am the cop but I just want my car to work. I know the GPS will be US but I will deal with that later.

Any help would be appreciated. also if you see me around Syd, holla at me as I am a Brissy boy and I don't really know many people in the Syd car scene Pics on my profile

PS: Just a tip for anyone who wants to source the english buttons from the states and retro fit. The US buttons are all backwards, due to LHD [/size][/size]