Nuclear Skyline Gtr

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers Ten Four!

The 32 wheels are great on the road... A little bit nicer to ride on than 18s... I like the thin spoke look of the bnr34 wheels and xd9s...

I am hitting a brick wall at the moment as far as the build because I cant figure out what I should do for my next step... I have a feeling it has to be the turbos though...

Turbos and while you're doing that, r34 gtr/tomei dumps. Much easier to do now if you're pulling the motor out.

Changing old rubbers would be smart, you can get black silicone host kits off eBay

Turbos and while you're doing that, r34 gtr/tomei dumps. Much easier to do now if you're pulling the motor out.

Changing old rubbers would be smart, you can get black silicone host kits off eBay

Definately on the cards... Plan on doing a major service on teh engine whilst its out as well... Do the time belt and associated kit, getting some dumps and new silicon hoses as well as the turbos... I am thinking that I'll give rebuilding the turbos a go... I can put them all together and have them balanced at turbologic in port kembla...

It would be interesting to see the total cost for rebuild vs new turbos

Also get a sump baffle and put that in while it's all out

sump baffle will save you alot especially out on track days

yeh fred at turbologic is pretty good, he helped me out in the right direction with my turbos and a few of my mates

Damn the costs of having the engine out keep adding!!! I'll look into the sump baffle...

Regarding the costs of the rebuilt turbos... The kit off Ebay cost me a huge $300 for the pair and I have been quoted $88 per charger to have a VSR balance done on them... I'll be doing the work myself so its not a big issue there... Other costs: well I think they're the same as if I bought new turbos... SUch as a full gaskit kit.

when u get the chance to speak to fred at turbo logic ask him about those new wheel kits for your turbo's, he will give u some heads up on it and what u should do about your turbo's, i asked him about that kit aswel.

ZOMG!!! WHat a F%%King mess of a day... The sick part I loved every minute of it.

So I pop down to my mates place this morning to say hey and fit the front struts I picked up yesterday... Check them out!

gallery_43534_3792_1035649.jpg

We get the car up on the hoist...

gallery_43534_3792_516150.jpg

And find this...

gallery_43534_3792_27027.jpg

gallery_43534_3792_480366.jpg

So what was meant to be 30 mins of getting the front struts ripped out and replaced turned into a CV boot change and lots of dirty shitty fingers in the process... After about half hour getting the drive shaft out of the hub and banging the cv off (came off quite easily which I was suprised about) we went and picked up a new boot and put it all back together....

Check out the Ohlins that were in the front.... Most importantly to note that the bottom of the cast alloy is cracked in half!!! No wonder it was banging around... I have some rooted front Ohlins if anyone is interested!

gallery_43534_3792_123128.jpg

gallery_43534_3792_241279.jpg

BEst part of the day was the drive home... The Bilsteins are a little bit more stiff than the Ohlins were, but the best part is they dont knock, they do damper and I dont have graphite grease flying like the proverbial off a shovel in my front wheel well....

Ah cars, arent they great...

Edited by nuclear_skyline

Well, it was inevitable... My turbos are definately on their way out... I am now shooting a lot of oil out the exhaust and I am pretty certain that the seals in either one of the turbos is gone and they're the culprit thats painting my garage door black...

Luckily I now have the turbo rebuild kit. I am sourcing more parts at the moment... I think i'll do the major service (timing belt, ilder bearings and water pump) when the engine is out of the car as that'll be the easiest time... Also trying to source some nice cam gears.

Heres the pics of the new kit:

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

Thats the plan... Easy enough to twirl the spanners on - well in theory at least... I have a few things I need to tend to on the engine as well... THe plugs have come out look pretty healthy and compression is good so I just want to service the heck out of it and keep it running...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some of the last parts needed for the build. I hope the engine will come out on Monday - I have been waiting for a hoist to come free at my mates place!

I bought a full engine gasket kit:

gallery_43534_3915_577407.jpg

Tomei Sump Baffle Kit

gallery_43534_3915_143476.jpg

gallery_43534_3915_473279.jpg

gallery_43534_3915_155898.jpg

New siliconm hose kit

gallery_43534_3915_416169.jpg

New Dumps :P

gallery_43534_3915_209585.jpg

Is the silicon hose kit one of the ones off ebay?

I bought a set of these but have been advised not to use them... apparently they have a little trouble actually keeping the water inside the hose.

I am just going genuine and keeping the kit around as spares.

nice build.

question on teh rust in the rear guards: how far up did you go to remove it?

the sill panel rust: was it where the guard meets the sill or a bit further up?

mine has a crack there and I'm deciding whether to do teh entire guard (GTS4) or patch it?