SAU Community

99 R34Gtr Vspec, Now Stroked!

66,000kms on the nismo dash.....

Can't believe odo's these days, car has been in Aus for roughly 9-10 years

That's just the 66k on the clock after the old 160k dash was taken out :/

Ordered some parts from just jap and a one piece flywheel from extreme.

Namely, nismo engine and transmission mounts, thermostat, silicone water pipes and radiator pipes, fuel filter, braided clutch line.

ACL main and bigend bearings were measured up, fitted and torqued. Stock pistons and rods remain.

Exhaust mainifolds, turbine housings and stock stainless dumps were sent into Craved coatings for ceramicoating.

Bottom end is a little cleaner now!

post-12712-1276346050_thumb.jpgpost-12712-1276346065_thumb.jpg

Just waiting for the parts to come now........ ;)

Love your work!

Look forward to the next update...

Thanks Nick!

And Ben, yep, when does that not happen!! I'm happy with the body and interior though.

Thanks Ben and nice to meet you!

Got my hot side bits back from Craved coatings today and they look very nice!

Then started to reassemble some bits tonight onto the new turbo's after cleaning.

post-12712-1276781693_thumb.jpgpost-12712-1276781772_thumb.jpg

post-12712-1276781807_thumb.jpgpost-12712-1276781852_thumb.jpg

Hopefully my other parts will arrive tomorrow!

looks heaps better than the rusty bits you dropped off Sean :D

if you are over my way this week, bring one of those covers with you, want to try and work on a colour match for the r34 red

got on thats gonna be close but its a metallic

painting the turbo compressor covers and heat shields to match?

Nah. Factory lookish is about it! Still gotta decide what I'm going to do to the cam covers. They do need a touch up.

This week was just preping the engine bay for painting as the paint that was applied in the past can be scratched off with a fingernail lolz.

So while the engine is out, it's the perfect time to fix up the shite paint job.

Half arsed job my buddy painter said when he looked at it. So hopefully tomorrow some nice white polyurethane paint will be applied on the lhs and rhs towers and front radiator support.

All degreased and sanded ready for masking sheets, primer and paint.

post-12712-1277467237_thumb.jpgpost-12712-1277467259_thumb.jpg

I'll try to bring one in Chris. Cheers.

Looks good. Those shiny black coatings really work to keep the temps down too.

Have you given much thought about oil control? External drain will be a minimum.

Last 26 I built, did the head oil restrictor, enlarged oil returns at the back of head and oil return holes, mines head baffles.

Wasn't enough, especially for track work, and due to ring gap being a little big, more blowby than normal which meant oil being forced to stay in head/get pumped into catch can instead of draining to sump.

This time, I have only added a tomei sump baffle, rest of engine is completely stock, save for ACL bearings. I have read the oil control thread too :P and chose not to do certain things.

And yes, head drain kit is on the way!

post-12712-1277470405_thumb.jpg

Pic courtesy of Spool site.

Still have to get a decent baffled catch can too.

Last 26 I built, did the head oil restrictor, enlarged oil returns at the back of head and oil return holes, mines head baffles.

Wasn't enough, especially for track work, and due to ring gap being a little big, more blowby than normal which meant oil being forced to stay in head/get pumped into catch can instead of draining to sump.

This time, I have only added a tomei sump baffle, rest of engine is completely stock, save for ACL bearings. I have read the oil control thread too :P and chose not to do certain things.

And yes, head drain kit is on the way!

post-12712-1277470405_thumb.jpg

Pic courtesy of Spool site.

Still have to get a decent baffled catch can too.

Get a set of the mine's cam cover baffles. They work excellent. I haven't seen any blow by out of the vents on my new motor, during run in or on final tune.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the mines baffles in the R32 when I built that. They do help, great for street, but at track days, lap after lap at high RPM I managed to fill the catch can and some of the inlet piping with oil.

Put the engine back in and fitted gbox this weekend. Only the radiator hoses, wheels under tray and the rest to go!

This piece broke when the twin turbo pipe was fitted! It wasn't even done up tight, and it looked like a casting issue? Broke the top corner right through.

So have to get another one this week.

post-12712-1278243125_thumb.jpg

Eng bay is all done now and car is back on the road.

Front disks were machined because of a slight shudder under braking but now they shudder and shake like a mofo under braking.

They were removed from the disk hat to be machined when they should of been given a skim on the lathe, so the disks will have to be removed again.

Engine runs fine and turbos spool very nicely, still pretty responsive but will need a tune to suit the -9's.

The exhaust is louder due to the exhaust housings being larger so sounds nice :)

post-12712-1278502121_thumb.jpg

post-12712-1278502316_thumb.jpg

post-12712-1278502415_thumb.jpg