SAU Community

Actuator Vs Boost Controller

Hi all

i was just wondering why most people use a boost controller (typically a T piece) over a preset Actuator

i would think a Actuator is a lot more stable over a boost controller. The only befit I can see in having a boost controller is the ability to change boost in cabin.

Is there any benefit of running a set Actuator over a boost controller on a stock r33 turbo?

and if the turbo is not stock?

Depends how much boost you want to run. If it's only up to around 1 bar the turbotech is still pro as but when going for real high boost i would likely go a EBC

yea arent EBC's supposed to reduce lag by not opening wastegate at all until set boost level is achieved? if you run just off the preset actuator the wastegate will gradually creep open more and more untill you reach full boost when its fully open and its rather laggy this way.

i only found this out in the last few months and i always used to wonder why my car felt so much more responsive with the EBC turned on, yet not running any more boost. so really an EBC will increase response no matter what boost your running

i had always wondered about that. i hooked my actuator up to a compressor at work to figure out what its set at, it moved a little at about 3psi, then more at 7-8 and wasn't completely open till 14!! so i have no idea what its set at haha

yes an ebc will lower your boost threshold, but its just not worth it with a stock turbo, which the OP has.

stock turbo is annoyingly responsive, having it come on earlier would be a right pain in the ass

but yes, if you have a larger turbo an ebc is a good idea, as the wastegate duty required is usually a lot more sensitive than with the standard turbo

yes an ebc will lower your boost threshold, but its just not worth it with a stock turbo, which the OP has.

stock turbo is annoyingly responsive, having it come on earlier would be a right pain in the ass

but yes, if you have a larger turbo an ebc is a good idea, as the wastegate duty required is usually a lot more sensitive than with the standard turbo

say what? how can something be too responsive?

to OP.

a boost controller is adjustable . a preset actuator is not . even then an adjustable actuator is not really a boost controll . they do but not the range of a boost controller

and you cant get another actuator for a 25 . you could get a 20det one and it will give you a very reliable and responsive 10-12 psi dependant on mods

hey mate, how would we know if we had an rb20det actuator? any ideas?

i thought there were ways to modify the original actuator, like changing the spring? only read about it tho so happily corrected

definately a stock turbo yer? are you planning on racing under 2000rpm?

like i said, turbotech mbc is the best for a standard turbo. ebc might get you another 50-100rpm tops, hardly worth it for $300+

I had a lot of trouble with a turbotech boost controller when going higher than 1 bar as slight turn of the screw led to large changes in boost when above this level. Due to these issues installed Profec B. I haven't read of many other people having this issue so it may have been an issue with the example I was supplied??

Absolutely agree that for $30 the turbotech is going to get the same result (or close enough) over an EBC when using a standard turbo.

Get an MBC rated to 1bar and it will provide benefits if you plan to boost past stock.

Its a waste of money spending $400 on a EBC on a stock turbo. Money which could have been invested into a highflow of the stock turbo....

I had a lot of trouble with a turbotech boost controller when going higher than 1 bar as slight turn of the screw led to large changes in boost when above this level. Due to these issues installed Profec B. I haven't read of many other people having this issue so it may have been an issue with the example I was supplied??

Absolutely agree that for $30 the turbotech is going to get the same result (or close enough) over an EBC when using a standard turbo.

i had the exact same problem when i put my gt30 in, mbc was way too sensitive. but for a stock turbo where your realistically limited to 12psi they're perfect