SAU Community

Rb30 Gearbox

Arrbee

Hey guys,

Tried searching but not really getting what i wanna find.

Pretty simple, i want a cheap and quick replacement gearbox. Now will a RB30 fit straight onto a RB20det motor no worries ?

Thanks guys

it'll bolt up to the engine fine, but i cant remember if the length is the same. if not then the driveshaft would need to be chopped up. i have seen it in a number of r32s as a cheap fix though so i would assume its the same. measure the length of the old box and compare that to the prospective rb30 box

I think the starter motors are different as the flywheels are different between RB30 and RB20.. have a feeling that RB20 starter motor won't fit RB30 bellhousing..

rb30 gearbox is the same as a rb20 gearbox just different casings. everything will bolt up. starter, slave, tailshaft, mounts.

it is the tinest bit longer but nothing that the slip joint in the tailshaft wont take up

There are 2 different RB30 Manual Gearboxes (in the VL's anyway, not sure about R31's)

"__7" and "MX5" I forget what the second one is but it ends in a 5.

The "__7" is the RB30ET box and the MX5 is the non turbo one. Basically from what I remember the MX5 is similar to the RB20 box BUT has different 1st and 2nd Gears. Im not sure about the Turbo box. I think the turbo has a slightly bigger flywheel then the non turbo

Search on Calais turbo would be the go... Or if you want an R31 box then someone on here will be able to help you surely

• 1 year later...

Dont mean to bring up an old thread but figure its better then making a new one ...

I have a N/a auto r32 sedan .... looking at doing a manual conversion and was thinking of going a rb30 box as there a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to find then the rb20 box.

Also i figure beingg a non turbo i wont too much have to worry about the strength differences between the rb30 and rb20 as i dont see the sluggish rb20de being too powerful for the box haha

Anyway, my question is, can i use the rb30 stuff, clutch, slave, master cyl ?? or does it have to be rb20 stuff ??

Could be a stupid question but thought better be safe then sorry!

Also, will the N/a sedan auto tailshaft fit ?? or will i need a manual tailshaft ??

Thanks in advanced