SAU Community

M35 Dump Pipes Again

Angus Smart

I've been made aware's that a few of you might be after some dumps again.

If we can get about 10 partys interested i'll get him to make some more up

we'll do them in mild steel this time with ceramic coating. the stainless was painful to work with dew to the rather strange bellmouth size and design.

This is a photo of the similar design, its a stock replacing dump, so can work with your stock exhaust without problems.

post-31456-1284609075_thumb.jpg

Sorry i dont have a photo of the last ones we got made.. i am sure someone will post one up

should be ballpark of $400

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been made aware's that a few of you might be after some dumps again.

If we can get about 10 partys interested i'll get him to make some more up

we'll do them in mild steel this time with ceramic coating. the stainless was painful to work with dew to the rather strange bellmouth size and design.

This is a photo of the similar design, its a stock replacing dump, so can work with your stock exhaust without problems.

post-31456-1284609075_thumb.jpg

Sorry i dont have a photo of the last ones we got made.. i am sure someone will post one up

should be ballpark of $400

how about delivery to the UK ?

I can tell you that if I had my time again and limited budget for an exhaust upgrade I would only do the dump pipe. It created the biggest difference to mid range power.

I took some photo's of my stock dump to give you all an idea about the limitations of it. You will see in the second shot the Cat that is inside the dump and this is a huge restriction and for any one running a stock turbo also a big risk as it retains so much heat that it leads to premature turbo failure.

post-41854-1284680184_thumb.jpg

post-41854-1284680212_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me if changing the dump pipe is a DIY job?

Would most people tackle this themselves or take it to their favourite exhaust shop for fitting?

In any case, I'm thinking seriously about it.

Would most people tackle this themselves or take it to their favourite exhaust shop for fitting?

I was told by others in the know you can.. but its not easy without a hoist and some deep 1/4inch sockets of size 14.

i got mine done at a reputable exhaust shop for $280. but it wasnt just the dump..full system inclusive of dump for the install cost.

I did mine my self and with the help of a mate we did it in about 3 hours but this was on a hoist and a good selection of sockets and extensions.

The hardest part is getting the stock one off the turbo as it wil have been there a few years untouched getting hot and cold but mostly hot.

You also need to remove the mounting bracket from the stock dump to fit the new dump pipe.

If you can get your car off the ground and are handy with tools, you should be able to do it.

I was told by others in the know you can.. but its not easy without a hoist and some deep 1/4inch sockets of size 14.

i got mine done at a reputable exhaust shop for $280. but it wasnt just the dump..full system inclusive of dump for the install cost.

Sound's like I could get just the dump installed for a couple of hundred $ at most.

I did mine my self and with the help of a mate we did it in about 3 hours but this was on a hoist and a good selection of sockets and extensions.

I'm relatively handy on the tools but my selection has grown a lot smaller over the years (lost/borrowed & not returned) but I don't have ready access to a hoist.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for the time to buy.

Can anyone tell me if changing the dump pipe adds very much to exhaust noise?

I've got to sell this mod to my wife (it's her car after all), so it's got to be all about the fuel economy and long turbo life. Power gains are only secondary (for her) but a big increase in exhaust noise will leave me in the dog house for a loooong time.

It only adds a little to the in cabin noise. I did the exhaust first so not a perfect comparison.

Mine is made of stainless steel so when I do work on the turbo next I will wrap my dump pipe as the floor under my wifes feet get a little warmer without the exhaust shield.

If these new one are ceramic coated you won't need this.

Cheers

Andy

Sound's like I could get just the dump installed for a couple of hundred $ at most.

I'm relatively handy on the tools but my selection has grown a lot smaller over the years (lost/borrowed & not returned) but I don't have ready access to a hoist.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for the time to buy.

Can anyone tell me if changing the dump pipe adds very much to exhaust noise?

I've got to sell this mod to my wife (it's her car after all), so it's got to be all about the fuel economy and long turbo life. Power gains are only secondary (for her) but a big increase in exhaust noise will leave me in the dog house for a loooong time.

I fitted the dump pipe alone before doing the rest of my exhaust. I used the "this will make life easier for the turbo, extending it's life, AND we'll get better fuel economy cos there's less restriction" route to justify the purchase, and thus far both have been successful :blink: . Definitely the best single mod, and it only improves as you move further through the exhaust upgrades. 'Course if my turbo fails I'll have some questions to answer...

The added noise issue is a bit of a non event, You can hear the whistle a little more, slightly metallic sound, not unpleasant. The other side of that is, I'm convinced the turbo spools up faster, so the engine noise doesn't mask it as much. All up though, you won't really notice much change in noise; only performance :D . Mine's heat wrapped, so no heatsoak issues to speak of, and this may also damp a little bit of noise.

I'll take one.

Mine is at 99,500km, so I'll probably have a good opportunity to change it when the turbo goes... Already have a custom cat-back.

As I have never had a turbo before can someone indicate on a stock 2002 M35 an average life with an average driver?

Currently done 112,000k.

If only the dump pipe is bigger but the other pipes remain the same size, eg no muffler change ,wont the gases exiting still exit at the same rate . I don't think anything will change in terms of gases leaving quicker.

Just trying to understand the physics of a better performance.

When they say fuel economy or power is better are we only talking 2 or 3 percent ,5 or 10 percent or what? . Can i get a ball park figure?

Anyway I am also seriously interested based on the positive comments of others.

Edited by samuri