SAU Community

M35 Dump Pipes Again

Angus Smart

As I have never had a turbo before can someone indicate on a stock 2002 M35 an average life with an average driver?

Currently done 112,000k.

If only the dump pipe is bigger but the other pipes remain the same size, eg no muffler change ,wont the gases exiting still exit at the same rate . I don't think anything will change in terms of gases leaving quicker.

Just trying to understand the physics of a better performance.

When they say fuel economy or power is better are we only talking 2 or 3 percent ,5 or 10 percent or what? . Can i get a ball park figure?

Anyway I am also seriously interested based on the positive comments of others.

I understand your reasoning, but the thing is, about an inch behind the turbo, the pipe diameter reduces to less than 2" , turns 90 degrees, then it opens to a catalytic converter, reduced in dameter again to around 2", then another bend . This is a massive restriction. Compare that to the group buy dump, off the flange wider than 3", gentle bend, diameter smoothly reduced to 3", no in pipe cat, then a smooth 3" mandrel bend.

This is where the improvement lies. Any changes made to the exhaust further downstream i.e; high flow cat, larger exhaust just enhances the benefit.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your reasoning, but the thing is, about an inch behind the turbo, the pipe diameter reduces to less than 2" , turns 90 degrees, then it opens to a catalytic converter, reduced in dameter again to around 2", then another bend . This is a massive restriction. Compare that to the group buy dump, off the flange wider than 3", gentle bend, diameter smoothly reduced to 3", no in pipe cat, then a smooth 3" mandrel bend.

This is where the improvement lies. Any changes made to the exhaust further downstream i.e; high flow cat, larger exhaust just enhances the benefit.

You'd almost compare the stock dump to pissing thru the eye of a needle.

Pics of the stock dump to help put your words into perspective :rofl:

IMG_1800rs.jpg

IMG_1809rs.jpg

IMG_1817rs.jpg

Pics of the stock dump to help put your words into perspective :rofl:

IMG_1800rs.jpg

IMG_1809rs.jpg

IMG_1817rs.jpg

Thanks Cam, a picture tells a thousand words.

If anyone needs more reason to buy a replacement now; I can't help you.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

That is all.

I've been made aware's that a few of you might be after some dumps again.

If we can get about 10 partys interested i'll get him to make some more up

we'll do them in mild steel this time with ceramic coating. the stainless was painful to work with dew to the rather strange bellmouth size and design.

This is a photo of the similar design, its a stock replacing dump, so can work with your stock exhaust without problems.

post-31456-1284609075_thumb.jpg

Sorry i dont have a photo of the last ones we got made.. i am sure someone will post one up

should be ballpark of $400

wow those dumps are short.. they look awesome though but about a third of the length of the dump that i got with scotts old HKS, what wonder the difference is there?

wow those dumps are short.. they look awesome though but about a third of the length of the dump that i got with scotts old HKS, what wonder the difference is there?

These dumps are made to bolt up to the existing exhaust, thus are the same length as the OEM dumps.

The dump on your exhaust was made up as part of the entire custom exhaust, so no need to adhere to stock dimensions

I fitted the dump pipe alone before doing the rest of my exhaust. I used the "this will make life easier for the turbo, extending it's life, AND we'll get better fuel economy cos there's less restriction" route to justify the purchase, and thus far both have been successful :D . Definitely the best single mod, and it only improves as you move further through the exhaust upgrades. 'Course if my turbo fails I'll have some questions to answer...

The added noise issue is a bit of a non event, You can hear the whistle a little more, slightly metallic sound, not unpleasant. The other side of that is, I'm convinced the turbo spools up faster, so the engine noise doesn't mask it as much. All up though, you won't really notice much change in noise; only performance ;) . Mine's heat wrapped, so no heatsoak issues to speak of, and this may also damp a little bit of noise.

Mate, that's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. I'll do some dodgy maths now to show how the dump pipe mod will pay for itself (better fuel economy) in X months and with no downside how can she say no???

• 3 weeks later...
I've been made aware's that a few of you might be after some dumps again.

If we can get about 10 partys interested i'll get him to make some more up

Hey Angus,

how likely is it that these will go ahead before Christmas? I will only have a small window of time to play with the exhaust so it would suit me to get hold of one by early/mid December.

I could always get my local exhaust shop to fabricate one but would rather support SAU, especially if other members get a good deal from the group buy.

Anyway, consider this a BUMP to generate more interest amongst M35 owners. Cheers.

Have to get my matey onto it. he doesnt work full time at the fabrication shop anymore, so he has to do it in his spare time..

i've told him there is about 7 or so interested in it so hes pretty keen to get it started.

Nice!

Let me know what he says. Hopefully approx 7 people might be enough for him to make a start in the next month or two.

Thanks.

Mate, that's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. I'll do some dodgy maths now to show how the dump pipe mod will pay for itself (better fuel economy) in X months and with no downside how can she say no???

Doing the math would probably bring me on board.

she who must be obeyed cant say no if you dont ask her

Doing the math would probably bring me on board.

she who must be obeyed cant say no if you dont ask her

A wise man once said; "Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission."

hi all,

after hearing about the dump pipes from Craig (Jetwreck) on saturday, i thought i'd check it out.

all i can say is for $400 or so.... count me in. that should bring it up to 8.

and a nice BUMP........ again.

Have to get my matey onto it. he doesnt work full time at the fabrication shop anymore, so he has to do it in his spare time..

i've told him there is about 7 or so interested in it so hes pretty keen to get it started.

Im keen as well... count me in.

Edited by FIA510