SAU Community

R32 Gts4 - Restoration/rebuild

Insanity Chris, pure insanity. The fact you have the workshop to work out of makes it even better! Great job, as a lot of other people have said, this build is very inspirig. I'm following you every step of the way :)

workshop comes in hand when I need air tools. the last few shots are at home. I store a lot of the car there though as it has pallet racking.

thing being with this car - you get to a point where you want to simply put it back to new. I have crossed that point and I'm still going. seems to be somthing in the air up here. plenty of GTRs being redone properly but very few of the 'other' versions.

bucharest.

ta! :)

167737_1806329441251_1330376598_32057467_5001518_n.jpg

front of shot before cleaning. I was dong a bit of test fitting with the guards and noting things that were broke on the chassis. the inner guards are sitting in place with 4 bolts (lower radiator supports) left side though has a stud missing that holds the inner guard in place.

164713_1806329361249_1330376598_32057466_8357224_n.jpg

front on - fire wall. believe it or not - that is 3 white rags that I turned literally black cleaning that off. for the most part the paint simply lifted off with nothing more than thinners, a rag and a little elbow grease..

164116_1806328841236_1330376598_32057464_3152810_n.jpg

more cleaning - left side between strut tower and firewall. the ABS pump sits in this spot and as you can see by the rust - it leaked. I have to work out how to fix that with a smooth finish like the beige areas.

163463_1806329121243_1330376598_32057465_2270691_n.jpg

right side. this isn't as bad. it still has brake fluid marks and rust where the master cylinder leaked and the clutch cylinder leaked but its better in that corner. the lower area where it meets the frame rail - rust there but its only surface rust.

Trivial thing as well. the bonnet catch support is DIFFERENT between my car and a GTR

62550-01U30 - GTS4

62550-08U31 - GTR

given that mine now has a GTR front on it that's one bit that wont work with the GTR bumper :(

I *think* that the length from catch to radiator support is shorter on the GTR one. that said I'm looking for a 2nd hand one.

its a trivial bit and one that I can strip and paint easily enough.

fellow in TMBA mentioned it when I was talking to him about something else. didnt give it a second thought till I started test fitting/hanging things...

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/71448-fitting-r32-gtr-bonnet-to-gts-t-without-new-latch/page__pid__1320027__mode__threaded ?

justin,

not really. one of the first vehicles I had was a 1980 chev el camino. that ended up with a mid 80s camaro front end and interior with a silly 383 and a manualised 4spd auto. . took me 4 and a bit years to build and it was definitely a one off car. I'm used to pulling cars down to next to nothing after 20 yrs.

this r32 is simply a hobby gone horribly wrong :P (in a good way)

I found out today that I CAN rpelace that top cowl panel (the one with the chassis number stamped into it) so thats one I'm going to take a spotweld cutter to once my japan guy gets back to me on it.

anyone who has a wiper panel ( the plastic under the front wipers) that has BOTH sides on it - I would like to hear from you. mine is missing one small bit on the drivers side edge.

168431_1815698475471_1330376598_32082488_4469642_n.jpg

New front under tray. not expensive ($170) from nissan and it finishes off the plastic guards under the car.

165152_1815698555473_1330376598_32082489_7908088_n.jpg

close up showing part number

164063_1815698275466_1330376598_32082487_2468125_n.jpg

undertray in place - note the support rail. this has been bent back and up. not quite sure how I'm going to fix it yet. only other option I have is to replace it with a GTR subframe.

165230_1815698635475_1330376598_32082490_1597069_n.jpg

top shot of the undertray in place. all the mounting bolts were actually still there from the old one and bits of the old one were still attached to them. I'm still going to replace the bolts. some of them had been ground off over time with some of the previous owners hitting things. there is one in the top right of this picture that sits UNDER the main area that I CANNOT get out. it has been totally ground to a stub and the blind nut under that is LOOSE!

167814_1815698755478_1330376598_32082491_1026133_n.jpg

another shot from back.(above firewall)

164856_1815698875481_1330376598_32082492_5863344_n.jpg

rear shot of bent support on subframe. there are 3 tags there for the undertray to bolt to all those tags are supposed to be 2" lower.

I also ordered today :

lower brake ducts and all the mounting hardware, headlight seals (rubber mats that mount to the support panel) and the mounting hardware.

the headlight bits are cheap . the brake ducts - put simply you do not wish to smash one. they are $180 ea! I still want the part number for the directing flaps that sit on the steering arms

(Vspec and N1's had them- can't find the number!!)

all of that should be here in 3-4 weeks I figure.

the cowl panel is a $750 exercise for the piece alone. this is something I'm not quite ready to replace yet (I'm still working on the front end and suspension.) but will require a few more odd jobs to pay for it.. removal I'll do myself. the spotweld cutters are cheap ($15) and fairly self explantory.

one thing I did find out today for those that with to restore a GTR. the directing vents between the radiator and the bumper are no longer available. all the external stuff is though..

you crazy! Esp with the brake ducts! Isnt it simpler to find some good quality second hand ones? They either cracked or not! haha

That undertray seems different to my one? Is it a GTR undertray?

keep us up to date. Perhaps post the part numbers too, saves people hassling the FAST thread for the same parts?

you crazy! Esp with the brake ducts! Isnt it simpler to find some good quality second hand ones? They either cracked or not! haha

That undertray seems different to my one? Is it a GTR undertray?

keep us up to date. Perhaps post the part numbers too, saves people hassling the FAST thread for the same parts?

not really. slightly nuts is a better description.

looking for 2nd hand GTR bits via my usual avenues turned up things that were beat to hell or broken or ptoentially made form unobtainium by the person that owned them. this was the main reason I decided to buy new bits if they were 'cheapish' to do new..

the guards on mine ARE 2nd hand and even those are a bit rough. but for what I paid for them vs new ($1200 a side) they will do the job quite well. I still need all the plastic washers for them and they are still available. I have yet to order them as I'm still recovering from the clips/hoses order..

the undertray is a 4wd one (bearing in mind I own a GTS4 and not a GTST) so GTR or GTS4.

there is a piece of it missing still and that is a piece of insulation that sits on the rear area. it is no lnger available and for me its not an essential piece.

I ordered the cowl panel today ex osaka and I fiugre that is a good 6 weeks away as they will either have to make it or find one somewhere in japan.

part numbers - yep. part of the reason I'm doing closeups of things when I can. the cowl panel though I do not think people will replace that in a hurry. I had toe make sure I could restamp that panel before I commited to buying it.

Mental :rofl2:

knowing you'r attention to detail...

will be the most clean and tidy R32

was amazed at how you can still order parts for this from Nissan

Yep - most are available ex japan. some of the stuff nissan locally cannot find where as my supplier in japan can. I keep saying htis is the last car I'm going to build (said that 3 times now) and I'm going to do it correctly and not cut corners.

most of the people that know me personally know I tend not to FK around. kushil once I get my hands on yours yoou will be hard pressed to see where I have been :)

attention to detail - you betcha. there is another fellow on here that got me started by building a GTR though..

more pics !!!!

in due course. I have to get all my freshly ordered bits here first :)

Awesome.

I'm ordering (in the next few weeks) a new under tray and gaurd lingers for my ER34. Trying to make everything about my engine conversion look as factory as possible.

if you need a hand getting it shoot me a pm.