SAU Community

R32 Gts4 - Restoration/rebuild

168813_1822654209360_1330376598_32096442_6580303_n.jpg

used AC fan - $80 off ebay. I'll tear this down at some point and give it a coat of black paint.

165329_1822654369364_1330376598_32096443_6917652_n.jpg

R33 I'cooler. I need the mounts for the R32 chassis but that is a start. bought this off a SAU qld club member.

R33 I'cooler. I need the mounts for the R32 chassis but that is a start. bought this off a SAU qld club member.

nooo get a return feed intercooler. You will need to chop a hole under the battery tray to pass the piping through. Thats illegal in Victoria (not sure of the laws in QLD)

nooo get a return feed intercooler. You will need to chop a hole under the battery tray to pass the piping through. Thats illegal in Victoria (not sure of the laws in QLD)

hole is already there. someone took a 4" cutter to the frame where the GTR one is supposed to be.

If done correctly and engineered it shouldn't be an issue.

correct. though I'll need a plate for the engine anyway.

Hi Chris,your looking for Plastic panel around windscreen wipers,

look at Maxima ,

as i think these are same across range ,

hope it is a winner,

cheer`s Chuckie

• 2 weeks later...

lol "high ground" i know the feeling. just a helpful hint for ur glove paint stripping issue. try and find yourself a pair of vinyl gloves that you use to do the dishes with. the stripper wont eat vinyl and those type of gloves are easy to put on and take off. also u can reuse the same pair over and over. great job with the car too. i havent seen this level of commitment from anyone outside the hotrod scene, bravo :). also if ur chasing any stagea wiring stuff for your engine conversion let me know, cos im doing a 26/30 coversion and i'll have a MANUAL stagea rb25 engine, loom and ecu i wont need once its done (im bris too). i'll be watching this closely.

ok no more high ground. its back at the shop and gets attecked with a spot weld cutter over the next week. this cowl panel has to go along with two others that are in the way.

yet to ask teh paint shop I buy my stuff from but what is the adhesive/ 'caulking' they use on these cars. I'm going to need a tube or two.

My mate get it direct from Nissan (sorry dont have the p/n on me) its the best he has found so far. He is not a panel beater so your contacts may have something better.

Your rebuild inspires me to keep my r32 and finish what i started.

Cheers

Ross

Hey Chris, just read this thread from start

You're doing great job mate and a lot of parts you have bought i will also be sourcing for my GTR build (especially clips etc)

Look forward to seeing future progress shots

My mate get it direct from Nissan (sorry dont have the p/n on me) its the best he has found so far. He is not a panel beater so your contacts may have something better.

Your rebuild inspires me to keep my r32 and finish what i started.

Cheers

Ross

I spoke to my panel guy, he's going to get me a few sticks. for the most part it is simply to reseal that cowl panel when I remove it.

whzzin,

its going to take me a while to do mine. most of the body has to come apart in places. decided to fix the front guards as well. since someone got carried away with the front passenger steel guard I'm going to replace is. I have the part number for it and it is available ex japan according to my sources.

if you need a part number shoot me an email.

No worries Chris, will take you up on that offer pretty soon as will need clips when i put engine bay back together

On another note i saw somewhere in this thread you were looking into gold mesh style wheels

I TOTALLY think you should do this with your car especially in your colour

This is my mates GTR in same colour as yours with gold mesh wheels

MarkGTR.jpg

already looked at the BBS idea. the local wheel guy I use never came back to me. do agree that it looks good though.

think I have photos of that car somewhere (took a lot of pics at CJJS last year - *think* this one one of them.)

180163_1875247364156_1330376598_32193837_4931811_n.jpg

Bought a $9 spot weld cutter today. best tool I have ever bought!! also bought something called 'weld' paint to reseal the panel once I grind the rest of teh welds off.

there is definitely a trick to using this cutter. drill too light and you get no where, too heavy and you punch the panel , too fast and you kill the tool. speed wasn't an issue for me. weight on the panel was!

google spot weld removal for a better understanding of what I'm talking about here.

I started removing the inner parts of the steel guards. both of these are stuffed in one respect. the drivers side (this image) was subject to a battery fire and has been 'dipped' in battery acid and seriously marked beyond repair. the passenger one someone got carried away with a air saw and cut the crap out of it in two places.

this shot shows where I have been cutting the welds. at that point I had killed two drill batteries gotten it 90% out and called it a night. that was 2 hrs of low speed drilling to get to that point. in all I stuffed up and punched through 4 times. a welder will sort this out when it goes back together.

167199_1875247564161_1330376598_32193838_161333_n.jpg

top shot showing the bottom area separated from frame rail. the hole was already there and when the new panel goes back in place the hole will too.

180347_1875247684164_1330376598_32193839_475673_n.jpg

first shot where I started removing the sealant so I could find the spot welds.. note the right side of the shot. that was the starting point for this panel

it got progressively harder after that point. finding some of the welds proved hard as they were under 2-4 mm of sealant in spots

167263_1875247924170_1330376598_32193840_7470882_n.jpg

90% cut out. I still have to do the headlight area and once that is done this piece will simply fall out. note top area. that one spot I ended up cutting in two

so I could get leverage on that panel. to move it. most of the removal was done with a hammer and BIG flat screwdriver once the spots were cut loose.

I will hit all of this with weld paint once I clean up the bare areas and remove the rest of the weld.

then its onto the other side :)

166648_1875289525210_1330376598_32193888_7867941_n.jpg

box of harnesses arrived today. these are all the interior harnesses of a WGNC34 stagea .

ECU came with this lot. the engine harness is still on the engine.

the engine is due tomorrow. that still has the auto box and crossmembers attached to it. these are for sale if anyone is interested

167323_1875289365206_1330376598_32193887_3758693_n.jpg

got a bonus! its been fiddled with by MINES. now I just have to work out what has been done to the engine so it runs properly.

love seeing this take shape with every post - I saw some pics on facebook and realised how close to ballymore you are! Stumbled through the park opposite your shop many a time. Keep up the good work.