SAU Community

Stagea Shuddering

4bidn1

HI guys

just wondering if any one can help me my Stagea gets to what seems to be a drive line shudder at 3/4 to full throttle all new wheels have been balanced but did it with the old ones neways any input would be good before i go chasing gremlins round my car :D

cheers rose

p.s. Its an auto s1 rs4

I sometimes get a driveline shudder in my M35 - usually happens after going over a speed hump and gently accelerating out. If i back off the throttle its fine afterwards.

I sometimes had the exact same thing in my C34... I was never able to work out what it was.

I don't get it in the Stagea, but the work Falcon wagons do it bad.

I have a feeling might be a auto tranny thing. Check levels and colour of ATF, maybe a fluid flush is in order? Don't know other than that!

I would say rear not to sure, sticking head under car looks like i need new cv joint rubbers to looks like a fun job suppose ill have to surch on forum for part number, this shuddering is driving me crazy all good till put foot down then :)

cheers

rose

Sorry to hijack thread a little.

Speaking of shudders. When I accelerate a little a get a wobble in the front sometimes under light acceleration, like a left right left right left... Motion. Very small but if I back off it goes away same as if I pit cut down. Is this bad? Lol.

Also get a shunt when changing gearbox. Like from park to drive I get the shunt of it going into drive (normal) and start to move then another shunt after that which kinda jerks the car back and forward.

Weird feeling. Obviously it's something to do with awd but coming from old corollas I kinda lost. Is it just the front diff taking he slack? Or is it something I should get checked?

Thanks all

End hijack

Sorry to hijack thread a little.

Speaking of shudders. When I accelerate a little a get a wobble in the front sometimes under light acceleration, like a left right left right left... Motion. Very small but if I back off it goes away same as if I pit cut down. Is this bad? Lol.

Also get a shunt when changing gearbox. Like from park to drive I get the shunt of it going into drive (normal) and start to move then another shunt after that which kinda jerks the car back and forward.

Weird feeling. Obviously it's something to do with awd but coming from old corollas I kinda lost. Is it just the front diff taking he slack? Or is it something I should get checked?

Thanks all

End hijack

I also get the shunt when going from park. Seems more noticeable with front wheels turned. I'm pretty sure others have it too.

check its not in snow mode.. the switch is easily pressed. as its right near your hand.

mine doesnt shudder on take off at all. only going into gear slightly.

but it does that when ive accidently hit the switch and its gone into snow mode.

however do notice a vibration around the 90-100 mark but thats most likely wheel alignment/ balancing

however do notice a vibration around the 90-100 mark but thats most likely wheel alignment/ balancing

Have slight vibration 100kmh and up, still there at considerably faster, doesn't go away at higher speeds as some do. You can't feel it through the steering wheel. In fact only really notice it if travelling on my own as it makes the front passenger seat shake. You can look across and see it shake and feel it in the seat base.

Had wheel alignment and got wheel balance redone - 2 wheels were out even though no weights had come off, this didn't fix the problem. Up on hoist and checked, nothing obvious.

Guess as you can't feel it in the steering wheel means it is coming from rear or the driveline as well? Could it be some play in HICAS?

Related to this - had one corner of the plastic sump guard break away on a recent trip and that rattled a fair bit driving and sat back like it wasn't broken when I stopped to check - duct tape to the rescue!

Have slight vibration 100kmh and up, still there at considerably faster, doesn't go away at higher speeds as some do. You can't feel it through the steering wheel. In fact only really notice it if travelling on my own as it makes the front passenger seat shake. You can look across and see it shake and feel it in the seat base.

Had wheel alignment and got wheel balance redone - 2 wheels were out even though no weights had come off, this didn't fix the problem. Up on hoist and checked, nothing obvious.

Guess as you can't feel it in the steering wheel means it is coming from rear or the driveline as well? Could it be some play in HICAS?

Related to this - had one corner of the plastic sump guard break away on a recent trip and that rattled a fair bit driving and sat back like it wasn't broken when I stopped to check - duct tape to the rescue!

mines virtually the same from 100.. it started when i had the front suspension taken apart to be checked to find warn busher pins on the control arm, then they put it back together..thats when it appeared.

check your wheel diameters :P (oh i just read you have new wheels :(.. kindof makes my post silly... but still.. someone else may get help from this)

attessa hates you if the fronts have more rolling diameter than the backs.. :thumbsup:

(i.e. it thinks its getting wheelspin, and engages the fronts intermittently = shudder)

I found this out after pulling my hair out for ages about things like airflow meter and spark plugs, oxygen sensor etc etc (they are other things it could be too)

Edited by atomaly

aaarrrrrghhhhh vibration has got heaps worst today now only need to put foot down 1/4 throttle so any load what so ever starts to shudder any body Know any good drive line places in adelaide that would have a clue about stageas

cheers

Rose

aaarrrrrghhhhh vibration has got heaps worst today now only need to put foot down 1/4 throttle so any load what so ever starts to shudder any body Know any good drive line places in adelaide that would have a clue about stageas

cheers

Rose

Call Mike at MV Autos, Blackwood:

M V Automatics

Motor Engineers & Repairers - Blackwood, SA

(08) 8370 0430

Address

1 Stirling Rd, Blackwood SA 5051, Australia

MV's did my shift kit, stall convertor, and all auto servicing; Mike's the first person I would call :)

• 10 months later...

i have 97 rs4 same prob more throttle more wobble and also have a surge in top gear only(stall lock if it has such a thing) but have had the auto full sevice all new suspension new bushes and rebuilt cv's on the front... this has got me and my wallet beat if i power hard out of a left it scares the crap out of me and feels like the car is going to fall apart if you have any luck with your bus please let us know what you found

• 2 weeks later...

cheers

Rose