SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

This is true in the comparison graph, but most -5 combos seem to make around 500-500rwhp on decent octane fuel

Gee you're clutching at straws there :P

The graph is same car, same dyno, same tuner.

Gee you're clutching at straws there :P

The graph is same car, same dyno, same tuner.

Wasn't clutching at straws, was just thinking of results in the past rather than comparing to the -10's... But yes you are correct smashes the -10's for power in the best comparison we have :)

Scott Kuhner / Tilton interiors got 4th place, runner up to garage revolution RX-7 with an S300SX 8375 1.00 a/r. Probably the least expensive turbo in the field :nyaanyaa: On another note, we're now working on getting BW to release an S300SX with billet compressor wheel that is not EFR but still very potent

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

I thought the S300SX had billet compressor wheels already? Any chance of getting the whole turbine and comp. wheel assembly from the EFR and using them in a journal bearing Airwerks.

Non ported comp. housings an option anywhere? :)

for reference:

A) Twin EFR 6258, on a 2.6L RB26, tomei 280 cams, mild headwork, stock intake manifold/tb

FullRace-RB26-EFRtwins-3.jpg

TWIN6258-DYNO.jpg

B) Single EFR 8374 .92 a/r, Full-Race twinscroll manifold, on a 100% Stock RB26, Tomei Poncams are the only engine internal modification.

R34-TS8374-1.jpg

TS8374-DYNO.jpg

I've had both -5's and -10's on this setup, gotta say these respond better than -5's and make shitloads more power everywhere over either -5's or -10's.

These 6258's are the twins to have without question.

It took me a couple of sessions to get my head around how well they performed on the track. I was getting on the gas way too early (legacy of having -10's) and pushing the car offline and into either under/oversteer.

After a few more track days I'm sure I'll certainly be knocking seconds of my times......

just to confirm, you are saying that the transient, on/off throttle response is better than -5s? nice.

I thought the S300SX had billet compressor wheels already? Any chance of getting the whole turbine and comp. wheel assembly from the EFR and using them in a journal bearing Airwerks. Non ported comp. housings an option anywhere?

forged billet compressor wheel is brand new to the s300sx, this is as close as we will get to the journal bearing EFR concept you are asking about. Ported shroud is a must have for these turbos, there is zero downside to this it only broadens your surge margin

FWIW the turbo that scott kuhner used on the tilton interiors car was the S300SX 83-75 which uses a cast compressor wheel and flat tip turbine wheel. Solid performer and comparable to a twinscroll gt3582R but with a better turbine wheel/housing and better price (non BB of course).

for reference:

Both of these dynos were done on a low reading dyno in 3rd gear, (not good for impressing people online). We will do some higher boost and 4th gear pulls once the weather is tolerable, it is wayyy too hot in the arizona desert right now.

the second dyno chart you posted of the 8374 had a massive boost leak at the throttle body seals, so it was not a solid test. waiting on him to fix that and then redyno

Edited by Full-Race Geoff

forged billet compressor wheel is brand new to the s300sx, this is as close as we will get to the journal bearing EFR concept you are asking about. Ported shroud is a must have for these turbos, there is zero downside to this it only broadens your surge margin

Nice one... will the price stay the same? :)

The only downside is a drop in efficiency higher up.

just to confirm, you are saying that the transient, on/off throttle response is better than -5s? nice.

It's been almost 18months since I had -5's on this setup, but yes I'd say it is, it's definately not worse.

What fuel were you using? Update the thread post your 2.5bar tune.

Car was a 2.1ltr using e85. It made 300kw atw by 4200rpm which given the limited refinement or development in the tune is excellent. Will let you know how we go when the tune has been refined and we have leaned on it a little.

Are you refering to Scott from Insight?

I would like to know if he is seen as a good tuner, he talks the talk.

yes I meant scott at insight (as does steve). I can't tell you what to think but people I know whose opinions matter to me rate him as a smart bloke. I've never been a customer of his but I have talked with him about things from time to time. he tunes a number of very successful cars... I would certainly trust him to tune my car (which is a big deal to me).

yes I meant scott at insight (as does steve). I can't tell you what to think but people I know whose opinions matter to me rate him as a smart bloke. I've never been a customer of his but I have talked with him about things from time to time. he tunes a number of very successful cars... I would certainly trust him to tune my car (which is a big deal to me).

Thanks, he certainly was switched on when I spoke to him and sounded VERY confident with the current Vipec stuff.

Talked about individual cylinder correction rather than 'safe AF's' which tells you something :P

Another thing I have PM'd the keeper about but am waiting on a response is post housing charge temps. I would love to know what sort of charge temps were looking at when running the EFR's at over 2 bar. We need to see if there is a need to move to E85 to get the most out of these units as the stuff just isnt viable for some of us.

I'll ask him. it was a fair while ago that he switched from the -5s to the -10s and I'm not sure if the -5s where ever on the same dyno as the -10s and the 6258s. his results were fairly typical to most well set-up GTRs from memory. the -5s were more responsive than the -10s but didn't make quite as much power. the 6258s are definitely more powerful than either set and seem to be as responsive or more so than the -5s. he's going to wind up the wick on the 6258s soon too.