SAU Community

Hks Twin Power Dli Vs. Brand New Oem Coilpack?

cobrAA

I did use the search function but all I found is built thread with people saying they have a DLI installed lol..

I bought a HKS DLI with the idea to buy a brand new set of coilpack to replace my 20yr old oem coilpacks. I know OEM coilpacks can be good up to 800whp. ( If I break the 500whp I will call it a day lol). I also know that brand new coilpacks can give you an extra 3-6whp.

1) Can coilpacks, after times ( in my case 20 yr old lol), becomes less efficient? Would a HKS twin power boost the spark and make them act like brand new coils?

2) Can I really see a gain if I get brand new OEM coils + the HKS DLI ? Or I'm better with only a new set?

If both situation get the same result, I rather buy a set of coilpack then keep old coilpacks and add an extra metal box in my motor.

Is it wise to change the coilpack loom while I'm there too?

Edited by cobrAA

I did use the search function but all I found is built thread with people saying they have a DLI installed lol..

I bought a HKS DLI with the idea to buy a brand new set of coilpack to replace my 20yr old oem coilpacks. I know OEM coilpacks can be good up to 800whp. ( If I break the 500whp I will call it a day lol). I also know that brand new coilpacks can give you an extra 3-6whp.

1) Can coilpacks, after times ( in my case 20 yr old lol), becomes less efficient? Would a HKS twin power boost the spark and make them act like brand new coils?

2) Can I really see a gain if I get brand new OEM coils + the HKS DLI ? Or I'm better with only a new set?

If both situation get the same result, I rather buy a set of coilpack then keep old coilpacks and add an extra metal box in my motor.

Is it wise to change the coilpack loom while I'm there too?

Personally, I'd buy a new set of OEM coils and install the HKS DLI if I have any spark issues (ensure your gaps and heat range are correct) but 500whp is pretty stable for new OEM coils. If you have it though, you could always install it I guess.

As for your ignition harness, if it's crispy or you have some connectors that are starting to break, I have one with less than 1,000km on it, bought last year. Shipping from someone close ;)

I had my stock coil packs start to break down over 20psi (370ish rwkw)....while using the Twin spark. Went and bought a new set of stock coils and all good.

Personally in your case I would buy a new set of coils.... and if you still have issues then chuck a twin spark at it.

I had my stock coil packs start to break down over 20psi (370ish rwkw)....while using the Twin spark. Went and bought a new set of stock coils and all good.

Personally in your case I would buy a new set of coils.... and if you still have issues then chuck a twin spark at it.

This exactly.

You've purchased stuff backwards.

Replace the coils first, if issues persist then use the DLI

instead of paying well over $1k for an OEM coil pack, get a set of spitfires.

I run Spitfire coils and a HKS TwinSpark. No spark issues. @ 620hp atw.

we tested brand new oem vs splitfires and found we could run more boost with the oem ones.. even SR20 ones.

New oem ones are now cheaper than splitfires....

ATM the coil packs average $55usd each brand new...

• Like 1

instead of paying well over $1k for an OEM coil pack, get a set of spitfires.

I run Spitfire coils and a HKS TwinSpark. No spark issues. @ 620hp atw.

that,s the thing.. At my local dealer, they sell 6 coilpacks for 300$ tax included LOLLLLL 2x cheaper than spitfire or 150$ less than yellowjacket.

and my friend needed money quick and sold me his twin power for least than half the MSRP. I couldn't say no. Worst case, I will simply sell it back.

Edited by cobrAA

we tested brand new oem vs splitfires and found we could run more boost with the oem ones.. even SR20 ones.

Very good point... OEM are great but when they are 10-20 years old they need replacing!

I was unaware you could get them that cheap now days, last time I looked they were about $200 each :(

lol when did that happen? i remember buying my splitfires cause they were cheaper than new OEM's (and JDM tyte y0)

locally you can't get them that cheap, Nissan Aus i don't believe have altered pricing.

For some odd reason, Nissan US have some items much cheaper in some instances.

Yeah all my parts now come from the US, generally 5 day from order to door.

Sux i know not to support local business but if its half price in another country including freight then im sorry... your not competitive.

Just get onto a supplier, some stuff is cheaper - some stuff just isn't.

NFI what governs pricing, but its likely as a GTR was sold here (32) they are putting it up.

They weren't locally delivered there so perhaps not so much profiteering going on.

I mean just for a CAS, there is a $400 "Nissan" markup over what Mitsu charge them for it

I upgraded to LS2 Truck Coil Packs. No more ignition problems and they outperform the others.

just makes for an untidy engine bay and introduces plug leads into the equation which is another point of failure. Put new oem coilpacks in and ignore them for another 10 years :P