SAU Community

What Have You Done To Your Stagea Lately?

Hanso

Okies so on the hunt for a boost gauge in the sunny coast Brisbane area before drags on Wednesday! Also modded the airbox and pulled out the corner cap so it can suck in more air!

i am intrigued by your ideas & would like to subscribe to your newsletter...

NP, will email you next issue.

Just be careful he doesn't involve you in his product test procedure.

I tested this procedure on my own car (remember the dump truck rolled into me at road works) & my working boot mech continued to work afterwards, so I'm 90% sure my DIY is accurate. However I am looking for a few volunteers to try it, just to rule out any abnomalies.

Is the hdi any good?

I've never really heard anything exceptional about them. They aren't adjustable for ramp rate or duty cycle are they?

Is the hdi any good?

I've never really heard anything exceptional about them. They aren't adjustable for ramp rate or duty cycle are they?

i have one in my 260rs and have never had a problem

Personally I like it. Do have the odd boost fluctuation within 0.8 psi I have found. Have dual stage settings with push button selection. Bought it due to my issues with stock boost solanoid that was playing up and this fixed it.

Is the hdi any good?

Got a tune yesterday from one of NZ's top tuners (def the top Nissan tuner) - will post the results when I get a chance to scan the charts - but learned two interesting things:

1. I have (along with a lot of other people) been using and recommending BCPR6 or 7 spark plugs but they are WRONG! I found my last tuner had gapped them down to 0.5mm to try to eliminate misfiring at high revs and boost (7000 @ 1.4 bar). Soichi said I should use PFR7 to fix this problem. If you check the NGK application guide you will find they list BCPR5 for the RB25DE and for the RB25DET they list PFR5G. So I will be getting some PFR7s!!

2. Don't use E10 fuel (in NZ anyway) - it seems the only distributor in NZ ...Gull... say they use "up to" 10% ethanol so for highly tuned engines it is too unstable.

I was under the impression that platinum plugs didn't fair too well with tuner vehicles and tend to not last as long as the equivalent copper.

No direct experience, only reading. I have both in two different cars.

I was under the impression that platinum plugs didn't fair too well with tuner vehicles and tend to not last as long as the equivalent copper.

No direct experience, only reading. I have both in two different cars.

WTF?

LOL!

And by that I mean technical data, not "my car runs awesome on.....xxxx"

What kind of data would impress you? My car ran awesome on BCPR7ES but the previous tuner showed me on the screen of his dyno the misfiring at high revs and boost but apart from gapping down the plugs he didn't suggest a solution.

The tuner I went to on Thursday was Soichi from ST Hytech and if he is not the best Nissan tuner in the country then he certainly is extremely experienced having tuned many of the top GTRs in this country as well as some in South Africa and a few other places - including street cars, drag cars and circuit racers so he has seen the proof on his dyno as well as on the 1/4mile etc. That's good enough for me. I am sure other tuners can get good results with different plugs and ignition systems - that's cars for you.

I don't want to be impressed. I just want something more interesting than "my car runs awesome on...". I'm not doubting your tuner, if you say he is knowledgable, I have not reason to question it. However, ngk themselves say that you effectively throw out the reference table when it comes to modified engines.

I know you have 100k km service intervals for platinum plugs on stock engines, so obviously the longevity is there in tested conditions. However, my thoughs is that when your running something a fair bit more strenuous than stock, the comparatively thin precious metal coating may well disintegrate quickly compared to a thicker copper item. Especially so if your heat range isn't quite right. Then there is the price difference.... $4 to $20-30ea....

The only set of copper plugs I have ever found for the VQ were $14 a plug, same price I pay for Iridiums which last much longer. I could probably go well over 50,000ks on a set of LFR7's if I chose to, but Cihan likes me to change them regularly. If I want 8's the price goes up to $300 a set. (Nismo plugs) If I could get coppers for $4 I would probably be using them, because tight arse.

Currently running 30psi on stock coils without issue. (on e85) Tractor motors have different requirements obviously. ;)