SAU Community

'99 Gu Patrol Tow Car Build

Ok so this is not an extreme build or anything flash but might be interesting to some of you out there.

with the R35 being relegated to track only use I needed a tow car, so I sent about purchasing a suitable vehicle, swell sort of suitable....

I ended up with a 1999 GU Ti Patrol with the 4.5L petrol engine. Diesels are not that easy to find, certainly not as tidy as this car ast least.

14,000km on the clock, mint as. Dont belive me? Come see it at QR sometime lol.

The purpose of the build is to take the asthmatic 4.5L petorl engine somewhere closer to being good for towing.

introducing the underpowered whale....

who would have thought 4.5 litres would get you so little mumbo

med_gallery_56949_4119_12070.jpg

med_gallery_56949_4119_35419.jpg

Firt up, a few interior mods.

Install done extremely well by the guys at Northfield at Mooroka

Looks OEM

Alpine IVA-W520BTi with NVE-M300P Package. This is Alpine's premium in-dash unit with the Bluetooth and Navigation.

Alpine TMX-R1100E. 10.2" roofmount screen with High Definition display with cordless headphones.

3952-patrol002.jpg

3949-patrol001.jpg

3951-patrol011.jpg

3950-patrol004.jpg __________________

Exhaust manifold being fabricated, it is now finished and off for sandblasting/coating

new goodies have arrived - intercooler and new power steering cooler (needed to be shifted)

Luke at Mercury is fitting all the piping up today.

med_gallery_56949_4119_46165.jpeg

med_gallery_56949_4119_55801.jpg

med_gallery_56949_4119_117452.jpg

really nice gu you picked up there mate, please get a tranny cooler put in too, auto's in forby's get hot with lots of beach work and towing etc and with you chucking a turbo on it as well it's going to be working hard!

the motors are also designed with low down torque in mind, they might not go so hard 'for 4.5' litres on road, but when your climbing a hill with the revs at 1100rpm and it keeps on pulling you realise how they work.

also you might want to look at a set of stronger rods, the tb45 ones aren't known to last long with boost in them, tb42 rods are a fair bit stronger and cheap too

plenty of info on outer limits forums if your interested

keep us updated

nice idea. I am a bit shocked at the kms though. who the hell does an average of 1,250kms a year over 11years? Most Ferrari and lambos do double that or more! is it the worlds first collectible patrol?? lol.

hopefully the big boy will get some decent torque with the turbo to pull the 35 and trailer as they are a fair bit of weight. :)