SAU Community

What Car To Buy For Wife, Any Advise Appreciated

Im pretty sure a diesel auto wagon i30 would be slower than a audi, after driving one i fould it a bit lacking, however this isnt for me, and my wife doesnt care. The 5 litre/100km is nice, however i would have to wonder if a landcruiser ran up the back of you, how would the kids go. Also an i30 is $19,990, by the time you get a diesel wagon auto, it is $31k.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Safe and diesel

800px-M1A1_Abrams_Tank_in_Camp_Fallujah.JPEG

Multi Fuel gas turbine...not a diesel.

I agree wth Jas, have a look at the VW Passat.

Zee German engineering is better on the VW over the Ooowdie's

Matt, the DPF's aren't the problem they were a few years back. The turbo diesel modern engines are developing very quickly with new tech coming into them every year or so.

The new passat diesel. 5.7l/100km,125kw & 350nm. 0-100 in 8.6sec.

Will leave any of those cars for dead, in any category, except outright purchase cost........though in value for money it wins by far. Standard equipment is miles ahead and the build quality and safety is by far best in class. You might pay 3-5k more but it's got more than that in value.

For a cheap diesel the i30 is a winner.

Mondeo is ok too but is just a i30 rolled in sprinkles.

No not at all.

It's built just as cheap as the i30 with some fancy trimmings.

the koreans have really picked up the game with their cars in recent years. As opposed to the crap ford and holden make which has been rather stale, (I know the mondeo is european designed). They've caught up.

But the japanese are still ahead of the pack, excluding the euro's

That Passat is quick!

Our next daily will be a diesel, thinking BMW 123D or 323D (150kW 0-100km/h in 7s). I always buy 3yr old cars after they've done the bulk of their depreciating. :)

That Passat is quick!

Our next daily will be a diesel, thinking BMW 123D or 323D (150kW 0-100km/h in 7s). I always buy 3yr old cars after they've done the bulk of their depreciating. :)

Our car that we're trying to sell (see sig) does it in 8.1 and runs a 15.7sec 1/4 mile. Same drive train as the passat but lighter car.

I looked at the 320D but it was a bit rich. Same with the X1 - very nice to drive, but just a little to expensive for the size.

Can you tell me what you mean, is it a good thing?

I'm guessing he is going to say that it has big doors or something like that.

hmm...so is diesel the way of the future?

I honestly thought Id nver see myself in one!

my next daily will be a diesel dual cab such as a colorado, navara, triton, ranger or something. good for towing!

hmm...so is diesel the way of the future?

I honestly thought Id nver see myself in one!

my next daily will be a diesel dual cab such as a colorado, navara, triton, ranger or something. good for towing!

Small fuel efficient diesels has been the way of the past for the last 20years in places like europe.

But in recent years we have seen it come into australia as people dont see the black sootiness with the modern variable vane turbo's, direct injection and particulate filters.

The Euro 5 standard that Australia adopted is a big leap since 2008 and but it's been getting much better since the early 2000's

haha, yeah i was a bit vague.

I went to the motorshow last year and after hopping in and out of every car there the mondeo is so easy to get in and out of, the door openings are big and you dont have to twist or wriggle to get in.. It may sound silly I know but i really was amazed at how easy it was.

But overall if your keen on diesel at a reasonable price i reckon the ford/mazda range is hard to beat, their diesels through the whole range from sedan to 4wds are all based around the same design. Although maybe not as advanced as the big germans they are much better value for money. Ok the i30 will do everythin but its butt ugly and has no appeal whatsoever other than price, i wouldnt even be bothered washing it cause no matter how clean it was it would still look shit.. Now if all you are after is an appliance thats great get one, but i like a car i can take a little pride in.

Is there a reason we have ruled out the mazda 6 it has the same driveline as the mondeo and is much nicer looking wagon, if i was in the market for a diesel wagon i reckon it would be my pick for sure, they have some real nice colours too

Brand new euros really are for those with a silver lining in their pocket and its an expense i know personally I couldnt justify. i would rather get the ford/ mazda and spend my spare 20k on a holiday to America or something fun for my family.

then again if i had 3 kids id be looking at vans like a honda odyssey or something :D

Unfortunately all these modern common rail diesels are a disaster out of warranty. They simply are Not as reliable as old school diesels, they're far too finicky and virtually nothing is serviceable.

But, if you insist on diesel, all I'll suggest is stick with Asian built, and veer well clear of the Euro crap. All the sweet young things ache for a cute little Golf..... but the smart ones buy a Subaru.

Ben, I disagree, the jap engines are rather unrefined and still sound like a truck. If you think that makes them more reliable, you can have them.

The Mondeo is the only one that come in an auto option (or rather a dual clutch automated manual like a DSG)