SAU Community

E85/98 Flex-Fuel Mission Complete! Thanks To Chequered Tuning!

taken off another forum

User 1 - Caltex are only and have only produced 70% Ethanol content fuel.

Its consistant 70% all year around at three local servo's here.

User 2 - He's telling me he emailed them today and they are switching to a summer blend 85% on november 30

He has gone with the decision to tune for united and then run caltex if needed.

sits tight and waits for confirmation :D

i was running Eflex at the beginning of all this, and despite a batch or two or low to mid 60's, after that, my sensor only ever read E70,bang on every time. Even in summer. We know that Caltex up until this point has never switched to a summer blend.

Then united came back in the game (big time here in Melb) and they've been very consistent, i've never seen lower then 82 or higher than 85.

I'm more than happy to run a tank of Eflex after Nov 30th to confirm this for you :)

cool cheers might make it like a week after to make sure their tanks have been over 90% refilled with a new blend

i found a quote from Martin Donnon saying Caltex had capped their E85 @ 70% for the first 2 years maybe theyre at the end of that 2 years

i will go look for quote

Q: Whats better United E85 or Caltex E-Flex?

A: That depends on the application. The major difference is that United tends to test at around 85% - 88% Ethanol content while Caltex have frozen their E-Flex at 70% Ethanol for the first two years of production. This means that although there is around a 2% greater power potential with United, the Caltex is better in 'fuel system limited' applications where the injectors and or pump are becoming marginal

Source

to me (and i've just realised this.... hahahaha) it's like having Lindt's 70% dark chocolate compared to Greens organic single origin 85% dark chocolate... you can't go back, 70% is too sweet - you need the hard stuff from then on :D

maybe my subconscious has been directing me to choose the 85% dark chocolate lol :D haha, can't believe i haven't made this connection before!

seriously though, Greens 85% is the absolute shizzle.... just like United's E85 :D

but bring on the Caltex E85! It feels like a cop out using it at the moment, more 'true' E85 outlets the better!!

I will just stick to united 85 for now. Amazing how the powerfc is so robust still with an e85 tune still.

My car is still using the nismo intank fuel pump. Not far off from reaching the 400kw mark on basic mods. The id1000s are only maxing out between 73-78% duty. So definitely impressed it with.

Go to Trent at Chequered for any sort of tune :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great write up Daniel.

I have a sensor ready to install in my boat, I was just wondering why you tee'd off your fuel return line and didn't run all the return fuel through the sensor?

Is the sensor restrictive?

I have twin 044's and was hoping to run the return through the sensor...

Great write up Daniel.

I have a sensor ready to install in my boat, I was just wondering why you tee'd off your fuel return line and didn't run all the return fuel through the sensor?

Is the sensor restrictive?

I have twin 044's and was hoping to run the return through the sensor...

It's too small. Tee it off

It's only in the return line, it won't affect the maximum flow as the injectors are before it.

If you look inside your reg you will probably find a 2-3mm hole for the return bypass. It won't be an issue imo. I would still 'T' it off though just to be sure.

weird how Syd seems to vary more, and seems to be more on the high side? my united has been bang on E85 last few times, and before that it generally was 82-83 - but it's still been a very tight range.

It's only in the return line, it won't affect the maximum flow as the injectors are before it.

If you look inside your reg you will probably find a 2-3mm hole for the return bypass. It won't be an issue imo. I would still 'T' it off though just to be sure.

uhh yeah. restriction in the return so will bump up fuel pressure if anything, brain fade!

its fine running it full return on a few 400 +rwkw cars now.

Wouldn't it depend on what the fuel system setup is? IE having 2 x 044's at full noise at idle (if they ain't setup in a staggered setup).

its fine running it full return on a few 400 +rwkw cars now.

So you don't have any weird fuel pressure related issues at really low load with a big (300+lph worth) where the FPR would be dumping fuel back to the return?