SAU Community

Mungy's R31 Time Attack Build

You are serisouly telling me that in your old Corolla you got a real 10sec per lap improvement with brakes alone? No different in tyres, cars weight, driver imrpovement, suspension etc...just brakes ? Any more detail about the cars mods and the changes to the brakes?

well yes there was driver improvment! lol the corolla only had that upgrade yes lol, i just had a look at the vids he uploaded hes only got one before the brakes and a few after but only in the wet so the times are like 1:33 -1:35 i dunno what happened to the 1:30 video :mad:

this is one of em click on his user to check out the rest

forgot to mention the vids dont have me driving, he only made vids of him and i push the car much harder than he does :laugh:

Edited by mungy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I am the owner of said corolla.

Just for anyone interested.

The Corolla was an AE82 Twin cam with a silvertop 20 valve conversion. The first time out the car handled like a fat lady on a pogo stick, understeer and fat body roll. Just as an example of said fat lady:

untitled.jpg

So the best the car saw on it's first outing (and my first time on a race track!!!) was 1.36. That was done by my brother, I only achieved 1.38 because i was too chicken s%$t going into turn 1 and the northern hairpin.

After that day all I could think about was the next time I would be there again. I hopped into some kitted out V8's after that and got a 1.22 and from that experience I learnt a few things to take back with me to my corolla.

So next thing on my list was handling. I purchased ISC coilovers modded by Bary Manon with 8kg fronts, 6kg rears, 30 way dampening adjustment. AE93 SX Series 2 brakes and EBC Greenstuff pads, super DOT.4 fluid.

So it was by no means minor changes. Wheel setup was done by pedders which I regret because they got the camber all fudged, (f) -2.4/-2.6 ® -2/-2.1. Then I just set the dampening mid way for starters.

Picture001.jpg

Stiff enough?

100_0131.jpg

Made a front bar myself as the stock one looked a bit granny. Kept it at a legal hieght for streeting.

Then bought myself some Toyo T1Rs for street/track use and set the shift light to 8,000rpm for fun fun fun!

So the last time out with the vaguely setup suspension we only had a few time slots when it wasn't wet and when my brother (mungy) went out in dry conditions he got a 1.30 clocked by stopwatch, unfortunately he forgot

to push the "record" button on the camera when he drove off so there is no videos of him driving. The only videos I got was when the track was still damp or pissing down with rain which I still managed something like 1.36.

Fortunately for me the rain cleared up and the sun appeared to dry the track. From there I managed a 1.31 in fully dry conditions. I think that the car is easily capable of 1.28s simply because I am still braking too early and

pussy footing around the track + wrong racing lines. But hey thats not bad for someone has only had a grand total of 40 laps experience including the v8s.

From my limited experience Mallala is a big horsepower + big brakes track. What didn't help me was the fact that if I did push too hard on the pedal the brakes would lock up without hesitation.

So it is quite reasonable that you can get a good few seconds just by upgrading brakes alone, it's becuase you can stay at speed for longer and stop easier.

Unfortunately I din't get the final sessions of the day because I ran out of space on the memory card and the wet conditions videos show up as corrupted

Fortunately a couple of videos did make it through my gorilla hands and got the semi dry conditions, which was basically the first time i could get used to the setup

and then adjust my driving to get to the faster times at the end of the day.

Here is one of the vids.

PS sorry for the rattle, a screw seems to have been loose next to the mic.

Chasing a GZE Spoonta

Edited by RollaDude

well looks like my bro gave all the details about the rolla :happy:

yea im gonna have the time of my life chasing that 1:20 lol and thanks to livicuru ill soon have the GTR front calipers!!!!

So 1:36 down to 1:31?

Sounds a bit more reasonable than 1:45 to 1:30 :)

Good to do mods and see times drop bit by bit

And that includes new ISC coilovers and an alignment....I say that would be about 80% of the improvement :)

I only point this out as I think its important to understand where to spend money to make the most gains in lap times.

And that includes new ISC coilovers and an alignment....I say that would be about 80% of the improvement :)

I only point this out as I think its important to understand where to spend money to make the most gains in lap times.

and that said what coilovers does everyone suggest? still hav had no ideas on best suited, and remember it will be using s13 sus up front

ditch the T1R tyres and get a proper track tyre, or at least a pretend r compound ku36,rsr,R1r and knock another second or 2 off

Cheers mate will look into each one of those !

on another note i decided to clean out my pig of an engine bay today

here is before!

cleanbefore.jpg

and some during

cleanafter1.jpg

cleanafter2.jpg

and the after lol

cleanafter3.jpg

cleanafter4.jpg

Unfortunatley I discovered that my distributor if f**ked and would explain y it misses every now and then, and sometimes runs like a pig lol

i clead out all the green rusty shit and my god it runs smoother just with that but still, the rotor button is rooted any suggestons?

put in a new distributor cap and rotor button today runs sooooooo much smoother, no noises anymore no missfiring great to downshift in

its a great car to drive now!

dizzy.jpg

the clean has to be worth 5 seconds on its own....

lol,

for reference a mate with a 31, rb20, 170ish rwkw, s13 front gear, r33 brakes, ok tyres , has been to mallala several times managed to get a 1:30

diff seems to make a big difference, that was his next step, also they seem to get hot quickly, stock rad might need attention

lol,

for reference a mate with a 31, rb20, 170ish rwkw, s13 front gear, r33 brakes, ok tyres , has been to mallala several times managed to get a 1:30

diff seems to make a big difference, that was his next step, also they seem to get hot quickly, stock rad might need attention

Cooling is defs an issue, im drawing up a custom intake setup to cool the air that comes is as that will make a big difference in the overall temp of the engine, and still deciding between a bigger radiator or just install water squirters.

Also what does everyone think about turbo cooling? obviously the turbo has to be hot to run efficiently but too hot is bad, im thinking of installing some vents to take some of the heat away, help cool that hot glowing rear housing!

lol,

Should be getting high 1:26s with that easily!

got myself a bucket seat today, suprisingly was easy to get in,

ripped the rails off my standard seat welded the bucket seat onto the rails and chucked her in!

Seat sits niceley and welded SOLID to the rails all the way along

will put some pics up of it in the car tomoro

bucket.jpg

• 2 months later...

Unfortunatley for me I have to sell my car :(

baby due very soon and need a car more family spec................

one day i will find this car and buy it back but as of today its up for sale.....:(