SAU Community

Gtx3071 Install

scotty nm35

I'd say it's not a common fault with the head gasket, it would have been from the 25psi forced in for it to try and hold. Nissan head gaskets don't normally hold that amount of boost for long. Toyota is better in that regard as they have a metal gasket from factory.

Can you get a/market metal gaskets for it?

If that's the case head bolt stretch then. Fit an ARP stud kit.

i have a feeling thats what happened. same thing happened on the '400kw vq30' put ARP studs in and away he went.

If you reach >1000psi during combustion, can someone explain what difference running 15psi, 20psi or 25psi will make to the headgasket if the tuning is spot on.

i think over time its a lot of stress on the head studs and they will stretch and eventually blow out the head gasket.. as scotty said he reckons its been there for a while but today it just let go

Mmm, that doesn't explain Gleeson's almost stock car with exactly the same issue.

I was looking at the pathfinder mod, I think I may be able to do my own version. This issue is documented as a common 3.5 problem when boosted. http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wolfpdf/VQ35-VQ37_COOLANT_SYSTEMS_HEAD_GASKETS_HEAD_BOLTS.pdf

thats pretty interesting. when do you wanna go up to cambelfield..

and it could explain gleesons, previous owner couldve boosted it without tuning or anything.. we dont know but can only assume.

they did do cosmetic mods on it, whats stopping them from adding a boost t

Maybe Gleesons car overheated? Don't know the circumstances, but faulty clutch fan and over heat?

Might have been suspect from Japan too.

Good work Scotty. Seems to make good power. Good quick trouble shooting too.

Mine has overheated many times too, like I said, the rear of the heads doesn't cool too well so if it gets hot, that will be the failure point.

I'm still not sure which path to take, probably best to buy a s/h motor and drop it in but the 3.5 build would be nice, so would the 2.5dd high comp turbo'd.

Im leaning towards Paul's suggestion of an ARP stud kit and just replace the gaskets after checking the heads are straight. It will take some time though... :(

Let's go