SAU Community

Track Battle Australian Time Attack Series

GTR32G

The sooner grids are full of 20yo skylines instead of 40yo geminis the better.

BTW....if drifting makes a better circuit racer, why don't 50m freestyle swimmers train as synchronised swimmers?

Amen and lol haha

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this shit is gold

has ash hit a wall yet?

has anyone got a download link to the the dvd yet?

what does julia gillard think.. and has wayne swan injected money into it for a street circuit?

has femaleline admitted its a super sprint?

does barron actually own a skyline and race it?

has duncan spun a bearing yet?

whats in the square window?

merry christmas from london

this shit is gold

has ash hit a wall yet?

what does julia gillard think?

has wayne swan injected money to make a street circuit?

who has a link to download the dvd?

does barron have a car that he races?

has duncan spun a bearing?

has femalelion admitted its a supersprint?

is it true the event wont be on next year?

why am i not wearing pants?

merry christmas from london!

Have you been deported yet or still kicking around the mountains?

Xmas from London I'm assuming your now in London.....

Fatz has a car to race now, it's got an engine that runs and a steering wheel. It's butt f**k ugly though effective.

this shit is gold

has ash hit a wall yet?

has anyone got a download link to the the dvd yet?

what does julia gillard think.. and has wayne swan injected money into it for a street circuit?

has femaleline admitted its a super sprint?

does barron actually own a skyline and race it?

has duncan spun a bearing yet?

whats in the square window?

merry christmas from london

The format of sprinting and time attack is identical. And look how hard F1 work to make qualifying interesting....

It is just another name for a sprint, no doubt. Just because they made different classes with far less rules and don't allow slicks doesn't change the fact its still a sprint event.

F1 qualifying format is great. I happened upon the MotoGP qualifying last weekend and almost fell asleep...

BTW....if drifting makes a better circuit racer, why don't 50m freestyle swimmers train as synchronised swimmers?

you make this too easy - there's no corners in 50m freestyle!

Edited by hrd-hr30

This is turning into quite an interesting read I must say

In regards to TA being a glorified Super Sprint, I dont agree. I have attended enough Super Sprints in NSW and they were mostly old people in open wheelers and MX-5s. THe cars that weren't, were on slicks and not one single category suited my car. Also, every person there was a family member or friend. No crowd what so ever.

Time Attack is for tuner style cars running street tyres . Yes, I realise the top cars are far beyond that but they are built with almost no rules to become fantasy machines that are awesome to watch!

Well I cant speak for over in NSW but in WA they are not "mostly old people" nor are MX-5s particularly prevalent. There are however increasing numbers of open wheelers turning up as they are a cheap way to get really quick lap times. We get good crowds but it depends on where the events are run. Relatively few people run on slicks - if you want to you get bumped into the outright categories. So most cars run on r compounds like RE55's etc. The most popular classes are AWD (ie WRX's, Emos, GTR's) & large capacity sports cars (Supras etc).

For what it is worth one of the biggest disincentives for sprint competitors running in "time attack" is the need to buy another set of tyres which offer less grip than their usual rubber. The requirement for hard tyres is arbitrary and redundant and I cant fathom why it is there at all.

And in regards to drifting making you a better circuit driver, everyone who has tried drifting (properly that is) seems to agree with me, while those who havn't done it mostly don't. I've seen many circuit guys get sideways and dont know what to do. They either crash or drive real sloppy. Getting sideways for me is not out of the ordinary so you tend to push harder, look for the limit and do it with confidence.

The set up of a drift car and a circuit car is fundamentally different. Sideways in a circuit car is slow. That is why you dont see it. Neutral (watch a Formula Ford race as an example) on the other hand is quick. A good drifter will have the same talents as a good circuit racer ie the ability to understand what the car is doing and drive it to its limits. A bad drifter or a bad racer will always look ordinary. Practicing driving a car on the limit will always improve your abilities.

Event is going to be awesome. Finally Time Attack will see TV air time!

Good luck with it.

Who's debating the difference? Call it sprint, time attack, superlap, hillclimb, street sprints Its all the same format.

One mad lap dash against the clock. If you enjoy it do it. if you dont. Watch the door on your way out.

Without it I doubt we would ever see the standard of cars purposely built for it over the last few years. As already stated there are bugger all opportunitys for skylines in other forms of motor sport unless you're prepared to be hamstrung like duncan where you are giving the opposition a head start based on power to weight etc.

Despite my dislike for the drifters being lumped in with the time attackers I hope this series is a roaring success. It can only give us more ops to get on track and help promote more outrageous import builds.

For what it is worth one of the biggest disincentives for sprint competitors running in "time attack" is the need to buy another set of tyres which offer less grip than their usual rubber. The requirement for hard tyres is arbitrary and redundant and I cant fathom why it is there at all.

this is an interesting point which gets raised from time to time and i'm assuming you are talking about the rule for clubsprint in WTAC (and guessing this has the same rule) that basically only 'premium' road tyres are allowed in club class with semis only for open and pro.

My solution to this is allow semi's in clubsprint (RE55, A050s etc) but maximum of 4 tyres or maybe 6 tyres per car (enforced with data-dots or some such).

that's how I'd do it. that way it keeps the cost down for guys in that class but allows them to use rubber they would normally use at the track. and it means most will buy mediums to ensure they get consistent pace over the weekend and make improvements in set-up and driving rather than just waiting for the best track conditions and slapping on another set of super softs.

It is just a super sprint at the end of the day.

I also believe and have it on good information that the nsw state super sprint panel are in the process of trying to add a "time attack" category to their championship line up.

Just to give all those cars at WTAC somewhere else to compete.

Anything unreg will require a cams logbook of any category an the cars will need to fit into the new "time attack" regulations they will potentially put in place.

Same sort of thing they did with SVD.

THis is true, I had a meeting with their board last year about it.

WE're with AASA so no CAMS politics to worry about at this stage

this is an interesting point which gets raised from time to time and i'm assuming you are talking about the rule for clubsprint in WTAC (and guessing this has the same rule) that basically only 'premium' road tyres are allowed in club class with semis only for open and pro.

Yeah the track battle thing for street cars (which my car would otherwise fit into) says something along the lines of UTQG less than 120 being prohibited. Not sure even what tyres run close to 120 - a Yokie AD08 is 180.

You wont ruin a set of r compounds in a day as a private entrants (or shouldnt) unless you are running a really soft compound.

My solution to this is allow semi's in clubsprint (RE55, A050s etc) but maximum of 4 tyres or maybe 6 tyres per car (enforced with data-dots or some such).

that's how I'd do it. that way it keeps the cost down for guys in that class but allows them to use rubber they would normally use at the track. and it means most will buy mediums to ensure they get consistent pace over the weekend and make improvements in set-up and driving rather than just waiting for the best track conditions and slapping on another set of super softs.

It doesnt just keep costs down but actually lessens them. I dont know of anyone who is even half serious about doing sprints (sorry time attack) who doesnt run on R comps anyway. Just mark a set and that is what you have for the day.

We have a limit on tyres in all classes to eliminate big budget teams using brand new tyres every session and creating a big gap between big dollar teams and weekend racers. I have looked at the possibility of semis in street class and we will have a drivers meeting after every event where competitors can discuss and vote.

We have a limit on tyres in all classes to eliminate big budget teams using brand new tyres every session and creating a big gap between big dollar teams and weekend racers. I have looked at the possibility of semis in street class and we will have a drivers meeting after every event where competitors can discuss and vote.

Gosh, that'll be fun! haha :P