SAU Community

The Nrma Has Welcomed The Removal Of More Than A Quarter Of Nsw's Fixed Speed Cameras.

Downforce

I like this news article :)

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8277986/nrma-welcomes-camera-removal

15:10 AEST Wed Jul 27 2011

The NRMA has welcomed the removal of more than a quarter of NSW's fixed speed cameras.

Roads Minister Duncan Gay ordered 38 of the state's 141 speed cameras be shut down on Wednesday morning following an Auditor-General's report that found they had no significant road safety benefit.

Mr Gay said the report was vindication of community concern that some speed cameras were being used as revenue generators.

"The auditor's report actually picks up on a number of things the NRMA has been calling for, for a long time," NRMA motoring and services president Wendy Machin told reporters in Sydney.

"We believe the government has to act in good faith.

"They said that any cameras that weren't contributing to safety should not be used.

"They're going to do that and I think that's the right thing to do and I think the public would agree with that."

Premier Barry O'Farrell ordered the audit in April, to address motorists' concerns some cameras were used as cash cows under the previous government.

While he found that 38 of the cameras were ineffective, he also said none had been located purely for revenue raising.

Mr Gay ordered the RTA to switch the cameras off on Wednesday morning and said they would be torn down in coming weeks.

He left the door open to them being placed elsewhere but insisted there would be a net reduction of speed cameras.

Ms Machin agreed with a suggestion in Mr Achterstraat's report that there could now be an annual review of speed cameras.

I don't care if it's a buy for votes - they're doing their jobs, reviewing potential solutions to reduce road tolls...not just leaving poorly thought out ideas in place because it brings in too much money, ala the Victorian government.

Pity Victorias budget relies too heavily on ours, it'll never happen down here

Pretty certain I heard today that Vic government was planning a similar move. They reckon the cameras "that are purely revenue raisers" would be shut down - that would mean about 99% of them!

well, white paint + cameras =?

Big bloated story in the Herald Sun about how Hoons are defacing speed cameras so they can use the public roads as a personal dragstrip blahblah taxpayers blahblah safety blahblah opinions of old people.

Big bloated story in the Herald Sun about how Hoons are defacing speed cameras so they can use the public roads as a personal dragstrip blahblah taxpayers blahblah safety blahblah opinions of old people.

Im sick of the word hoon..government uses it for everything now days

I don't care if it's a buy for votes - they're doing their jobs, reviewing potential solutions to reduce road tolls...not just leaving poorly thought out ideas in place because it brings in too much money, ala the Victorian government.

Big +1

Im sick of the word hoon..government uses it for everything now days

Technically, Hoon isn't a word... whistling.gif