SAU Community

The Clutch Thread - FEEDBACK PLEASE

REV210;

Ogura Flywheel (i think the 4.8kg one) - $$$ ??

Super dooper single plate clutch - $$$ ??

Also, are they more inclined to last that long on circuit cars as opposed to drag cars? In terms of clutch longevity, surely drag work does more to shorten the life of clutches and flywheels etc...

Adrian

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are obviously a lot more gear changes involved on the circuit, but the clutch wear on a moving vehicle is minute. It basically disengages for the period of the gear change and engages when you let the pedal out, while the rotational speed of flywheel and the pressure plate is similar.

The most wear occurs in heavy traffic conditions, when you have to move the whole mass from stationary, continuously.

This is magnified hell of a lot when in a hurry, like a drag race :thumbsup:

In saying that, in competitive motorsport, the first 400 meters of a circuit race is a drag race, but done only once.

In saying that, in competitive motorsport, the first 400 meters of a circuit race is a drag race, but done only once.

Unless as most "track" racers here the circuit racing is sprints in which case its a flying start anyways.

This is why I used a single instead of a multiplate clutch. But it will be interesting to see what happens one I get over 300rwkw's.

Snowman,

You are right, that's why i said 'in competitive motorsport'.

You will have no hope with 300 rwkw, we are trying to establish whether they would be good enough to cope with 300kw at the engine. :thumbsup:

EDIT: ...in a GTR.

All the talk in the last couple of pages relate to GTRs. Gts-t owners have it a lot easier in this department due to their 2WD setup. Matlowth has well over 300rwkw and he has been using single plate clutches for the last 3 years.

Snowman,

All the talk in the last couple of pages relate to GTRs. Gts-t owners have it a lot easier in this department due to their 2WD setup. Matlowth has well over 300rwkw and he has been using single plate clutches for the last 3 years.

And what times has he ran to prove he's actually getting grip at the strip to really test the clutch out? or is the fact he's got no traction at the strip let his single plate grip enough to not to fail

Buster,

The latter,

Matt has always ran on street tyres, so the clutch has never been under a great deal of stress, i wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. I think he is using a full faced organic with an upgraded pressure plate.

I have no doubt it would fail if he was using some sticky rubber and having a few runs in a row.

heheheh we have a r33 gtr 260 kw at wheels , standard clutch, how long d'ya reckon before she blows?? lol

seriously does anyone know if those patrol heavy duty clutches will go in a r33 gtr shit that could save me heaps, even if i go through a couple, lol

Depends on the single, I managed to kill an extreme clutch 9 button ceramic ferride jobby pretty quickly, they dont seem to like much over 200rwkw.

the twin os giken I have now was not alot more expensive (second hand), and is so much nicer to drive on the street, and has no probs holding bigger power. Just wish I didnt waste the money scewing around with the single and gone straight to the twin - I was worried the twin would be too harsh for a daily driver - expensive lesson.

how can a twin plate clutch be easy to drive on the street as a daily driver? I have driven cars with twin plate and i hated it... is it different on a gtr as i recall someone saying something about the gtr having some kinda spring.... dunno

I drive my Nismo twin plate GTR everyday pretty much and I have no problem with it whatsoever. This includes in peak hour traffic. I've driven my friends nismo twin plate in a 33 GTS-T and it felt easier than mine even.

how can a twin plate clutch be easy to drive on the street as a daily driver?  I have driven cars with twin plate and i hated it...

How? cos it is... if you have driven cars with twin plates before, you should be aware that they definately arent the same - just as singles arent the same.

Also, you can get extended throw out levers if the clutch is too heavy - makes them even easier to drive. I have found with the OS twin, I dont even notice the weight anymore. Its very smooth to take off, just bites a bit quicker and harder, so not too hard to adjust the driving style to allow. Alot easier than the 9 puck extreme clutch that I had.

I remember a while back Sydneykid stating with a heavy single plate or any heavy clutch for that matter you should change the R32 & R33 Series I push setup to a pull setup!!

Are you required to have the SII RB25DET g/box in the first place or is it possible to simply bolt up the pull slave cyclinder, fork etc that is required.

I've found wreckers arn't really too happy to help you make a decision by checking things out. They tend only to like to help if you are going to buy there on the spot. Generally. :)

I don't want clutch fork/pivot problems, I've had my fair share with previous cars that have had 1tonne clutches.

I've got a 9puk ceramic cushioned 1tonne clutch. I think I will be using my chrome molly flywheel when I pull it out of the RB20DET. I've currently got a machined stocker flywheel attached to it, I have heard previously apart from this thread that a chrome molly flywheel will allow the clutch to last longer. ?!?! not sure though :)

I believe chrome-moly flywheels are stronger for their whole lifetimes as opposed to the std flywheel which, when machined, is no longer as strong as when new. Can someone confirm that they (std) have a tough outer layer or coating that makes them stronger till this wears away?

Adrian

2rismo, I can confirm that the casting process forms a skin of harder cast iron that over time is machined through and weakens the whole flywheel. Chromemolly is stronger material (about 400% stronger).

i have a (direct clutch) single plate heavy duty exedy organic type clutch...

so far it holds 412rwhp and has done about 30 launches at the drags cutting 1.7 60ft times..just starting to get a bit smelly now though...

i think i have been lucky so far... i am looking at getting a nismo gmax twin plate soon....

cheers..

hey guys i blew my std clutch on my r33gtst last night. Which was so annoting to drive home LOL.

small question i have a gtr clutch cover (brand new) and a double plated heavy duty disk (brand new) or whatever you call it. Will this handle 200-250rwkw?????? If this does not last will i need to replace just the disk or the clutch cover as well. I was told by the person in a vl with a rb engine the clutch was just starting to slip at 260rwkw. Id ratehr put this in or will i have to fork out more money??? HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm for me if the series 2 r33 gtst has a pull type clutch or a push type clutch.

Steve, where did ya get your twin plate os giken from?