SAU Community

New Toymota "sports" Car

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does Toyota even actually have an existing engine that could be used in a N/S arrangement in a car anymore anyway? Bearing in mind that it would have to meet EURO V (or whatever it is they're upto) emissions standards, so even something that was in production even a handful of years ago is probably not viable now.

Why don't more manufacturers make boxers? Because they are inferior, that's why. And show me a PRODUCTION BASED class where boxers rule. Since 1990 Subaru have won 3 out of 21 WRC titles and I can't find resutls which suggest that the WTA WRXs do much.

*snip*

The AE86 should not be triffiled with. It is a serious cult classic and stuffing up a modern homage is a grat way to detract from that. As a car enthusiast, I don't like it when car companies f**k up a classic.

point 1: asking for production based race results as to how good an engine is is one of the most stupid things you could say. it is about the complete package. you could have the best motor in the worst car and it won't win races. when people talk about how good a mx-5 is they are generally talking about how good they handle, etc. they generally aren't talking about how great the enging is compared to everything else out there. in the case of the wrx, it's main rival is the evo, which is a car with much more gizmos and a substantial price difference as well. of course it is going to get beaten.

point 2: do you consider the 4AC powered AE86 a cult classic? what about the 2 door coupe? i'm assuming you are refering to the 3 door hatch as being the cult classic. so are you just choosing to ignore the ugly and less powerful models or are they a classic too? and technically speaking the 3 door hatch version is a hatch and not a coupe, just like the 180sx is a hatch while the silvia is a coupe

for those not familiar with the 2 different body styles,

2 door coupe

9521d1142401229-f-s-ae86-coupe-ae86-002.jpg

3 door hatch

meshies.jpg

The Subaru version, the BRZ, has a more subtle styling:

brzreveal.jpg

Looks a bit better IMO as I think it will age better than the Toyota version. The angular "tusks" coming off the front wheel arches on the 86 look a little strange but maybe something that will grow on me over time.

Keep in mind the only difference between the two are the front and rear bumpers. the rest is the same.

lol at the haters, seriously Cowboy your a fair f*cking whinger seeing you've never laid eyes on one let alone driven one.

Dino's account on Speedhunters (one of those reports you said didn't exist) says it all. Just because it makes reference to the AE86 in its name doesn't mean it's destroying the history. That's no more stupid than saying the R35 GT-R ruined the reputations of all the GT-Rs before it.

Toyota are forging their own path and making what everyone has been screaming out for since the demise of the S15 - a low-cost RWD sports car that can be used as a daily and punted around a track on weekends.

Toyota Oz have long been spouting a target sale price of $35K - even if it ends up closer to $40K it will become a cult classic here in Oz, as it will everywhere else. Remember that the S15 was more than $40K when it was released back in 2000, hell the first WRXs were considered performance bargains at $40K when they were released in 1994! If I don't get a chance to drive one in Japan, I'm gonna be banging down the door of my local Toyota dealer for a test drive when they get here.

I wholeheartedly agree.

As an aside, for everyone who's predicting a Subaru AWD version, I wouldn't hold your breath!

Anyone with knowledge of the physical layout of Subaru's AWD system would suspect as I do that the engine in this RWD car is simply placed too far back in the chasssis to make an AWD version achievable.

This 86, similar to the original will be overated, under powered and ugly. Car lives off initial D hype, toyota and subaru can go and suck 6 dicks in a row.

i actually have to agree with this. a mate of mine owns 3 86's, all with different spec (4AC, 4AGE, 4AGZE). the later 2 go well in a straight line (the 4AC is a slug though). they handle ok, but not that great, even with mods, and they are absolute crap to drift. i have no idea why they are a cult drift car. that is the reason why you seem amature drifters in them constantly spinning out.

i actually have to agree with this. a mate of mine owns 3 86's, all with different spec (4AC, 4AGE, 4AGZE). the later 2 go well in a straight line (the 4AC is a slug though). they handle ok, but not that great, even with mods, and they are absolute crap to drift. i have no idea why they are a cult drift car. that is the reason why you seem amature drifters in them constantly spinning out.

cult drift car because of initial d and drift king keichii tsuchiya who started drift in the ae86 might have something to do with it!...they are harder to drift there abit underpowered compared to more modern turbo charged cars 200sx etc .... but they can be drifted competitively if set up right! i like them nothing like a screaming modded 4age n/a....

Edited by rgr34

Car looks good to me, and as for boxer motors Porsche seem to do well with them, Subaru seem to go like the blazes with some poundage in them to, LOL at the haters, RWD to, awesome.

RWDFTMFW.

Again, LOL at the haters.

Car looks good to me, and as for boxer motors Porsche seem to do well with them, Subaru seem to go like the blazes with some poundage in them to, LOL at the haters, RWD to, awesome.

RWDFTMFW.

Again, LOL at the haters.

you can "LOL" all you want when your paying 50+ k for the privileged of guzzling Toyota/Subaru Salesman semen I think we will have the last laugh.

you can "LOL" all you want when your paying 50+ k for the privileged of guzzling Toyota/Subaru Salesman semen I think we will have the last laugh.

And how much is the new Nissan RWD psydo sports car ?, 60 +f or the 350 Z base model, its the only other RWD 2 door sporty car available for that money.

Again, until you prove my theory wrong, LOL.

:cheers: