SAU Community

New Toymota "sports" Car

Thanks for all the photos and info God_speed. What is the quality of the interior like? I was in a new Prius about 2 years ago and it looked really dodgy to me. As that is coming from a VL owner/devotee that is quite a strong criticism :)

The parcel shelf brake light might be a Toyota Australia addition, I'll have a look the next time I see a JDM one, might be a while though as they aren't too common although I did see a orange/bronze one yesterday.

You're right, it depends on what you're used to. There are certain things which make it seem cheap, like some of the switchgear, and the door cards and faux carbon dash are quite hard plastic. But the bits that you actually touch frequently are fine; the wheel is leather (as well as the gearknob and handbrake lever) and there's a nice pad around where your left knee braces against the dash; that was a nice surprise as I leaned into a corner and I suddenly noticed it. You make a good point on the ADM aspect of the rear centre stop light - you'd think they could do a better job than that!

And Aussie buyers should be thanking us and our focus group participants... one of the original interior plans was for the steering wheel, handbrake lever and gearknob to be covered in red leather - which unsurprisingly got a panning from 95% of people we spoke to. The black leather with red stitching we ended up with is nice.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been following this since they released the concept and being a previous ae86 owner I think it's awesome! Who cares about 1/4 mile times, this car was made to drive around the mountains. Mum is taking one for a test drive tomorrow after a bit of convincing from me and my brothers, next we will start working on the supercharger, any ideas on how to sell it?

went and had a close up look at a gts at our local toyota dealer. looks alot nicer in the flesh than on paper. ALOT smaller than i thought it would be. i was quite shocked. im not sure if it was just this dealer, or australia wide, but the waiting list for a gt86 manual (the base model) is f**kIN AGES!!

went and had a close up look at a gts at our local toyota dealer. looks alot nicer in the flesh than on paper. ALOT smaller than i thought it would be. i was quite shocked. im not sure if it was just this dealer, or australia wide, but the waiting list for a gt86 manual (the base model) is f**kIN AGES!!

Basically Australia wide; but the waiting list for the GTs (base grade) is shorter than for the GTSs. There are even fewer BRZs allocated for Oz so they're in even shorter supply.

Seen one today being punted around eastern creek GP circuit.

I'll post up its time when NATSOFT updates.

It was 100% stock.

That will be interesting Mark. An Autocar article I read on the weekend put the 86 a second or so behind a Mk VI GTi around a dry circuit, they said its torque deficit was the main reason for it being slower. It's supposed to be pretty well balanced on the track.

I had a silver one in our yard the other day, took it for a spin it is a lot smaller than it appears on paper as people have been stating. It's got guts but it's by no means what i'd call a fast car..

86's are on back order til January 2013, BRZ was COMPLETELY sold out in 3 HOURS on the market online and they're on back order until Jan-Feb 2013 too. Toyota is going to sell a shit load of these cars.

Thanks for all the photos and info God_speed. What is the quality of the interior like? I was in a new Prius about 2 years ago and it looked really dodgy to me. As that is coming from a VL owner/devotee that is quite a strong criticism :)

The parcel shelf brake light might be a Toyota Australia addition, I'll have a look the next time I see a JDM one, might be a while though as they aren't too common although I did see a orange/bronze one yesterday.

Checked a JDM 86 today and it looks like they have the same parcel shelf brake light.

Edited by *LOACH*

• 4 months later...

Looks like the 86 just scooped the Drive COTY award for 2012 (base GT version was tested and just pipped Subie's more highly specced, but higher-priced BRZ).

Seeing quite a few of them on the road now too! The orange colour looks the goods I think.

I test drove one with a good mate a few weeks ago. I think it was the GT model. I'd buy one as a daily if I had the money. Yes they're a bit down on power but in real world terms they're as quick as hot hatches, which is plenty fast for a daily driver. And they use little fuel, have small (read: cheap) tyres, Toyota quality, and excellent handling. The reality is a car like the 86 can be driven hard and with a lot of fun on the road while staying within speed limits. Compare that to the average Skyline, where you floor the throttle for three seconds only to find you're in lock-em-up-and-throw-away-the-key territory.

• 3 months later...