SAU Community

New Toymota "sports" Car

Here we go - price has been announced on Toyota Aus's Facebook page this morning:

Bit of a bargain I'd say.

Thats a fair bit cheaper than i was expecting, wonder how much it will cost once all the options are added on though.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Official Pricing:

• 2012 86 GT - manual - $29,990
  • 2012 86 GT - automatic - $32,490

• 2012 86 GTS - manual - $35,490
  • 2012 86 GTS - automatic - $37,990

Note: pricing excludes on-road costs.

Specs, courtesy of the Motor Report:

Engine

Engine type 2.0 litre-Boxer 4

Capacity (cm3) 1998

Cylinders/valves Boxer 4/16V

Description Four cylinders, horizontally opposed, 16-valve, DOHC, four valves percylinder and alloy cylinder block

Bore x stroke (mm) 86 x 86

Compression ratio 12:5:1

Max. output 147kW @ 7,000rpm

Max. torque 205Nm @ 6,400-6,600rpm

Recommended fuel type 98 or more Octane

Fuel-tank capacity (L) 50

Transmission

Type Six-speed manual Six-speed sequential-shift automatic (with paddle shift on GTS 86)

Ratios:1st 3.626 3.538

2nd 2.188 2.060

3rd 1.541 1.404

4th 1.213 1.000

5th 1.000 0.713

6th 0.767 0.582

Reverse 3.437 3.168

Final drive 4.100:1 4.100:1

Steering

Turning circle 10.8m (tyre), 11.4m (body)

Type Rack and pinion Electric Power Steering (EPS)

Suspension type

Front MacPherson strut with coil springs, gas-filled dampers and rose-jointedstabiliser bar

Rear Double wishbone with coil springs, gas-filled dampers and rose-jointedstabiliser bar

Capacities

Seating 4

Cargo space height 391mm

Exterior dimensions

Overall length (mm) 4,240

Width (mm) 1,775

Roof height (mm) 1,285

Wheelbase (mm) 2,570

Tracks (mm) Front: 1,520 Rear: 1,540

Interior dimensions

Front to rear couple distance (mm) 700

Front legroom (mm) 1065

Rear legroom (mm) 759

Driven wheels

Rear

Wheels and tyres

GT 16 x 6.5J alloy with 205/55 R16 tyres

GTS 17 x 7J alloy with 215/45 R17 tyres

Brake type

GT:

Ventilated front and solid rear disc brakes with anti-lock braking system(ABS), electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), brake assist (BA) and vehiclestability control (VSC).

Front disc size: 277mm diameter by 24mm thick

Rear disc size: 286mm by 10mm thick

GTS:

Ventilated front and ventilated rear disc brakes with ABS, EBD, BA andVSC.

Front disc size: 294mm diameter by 24mm thick

Rear disc size: 290mm diameter by 18mm thick

Performance

0-100km/h (s) 7.6 (manual), 8.2 (auto)

Max. speed (km/h) 226 (manual), 210 (auto)

Coefficient of drag 0.27

Fuel consumption (L/100 km)*

Combined 7.8 (manual), 7.1 (auto)

Urban 10.4 (manual), 9.6 (auto)

Extra urban 6.4 (manual), 5.7 (auto)

CO2 emissions (g/km)*

Combined 181 (manual), 164 (auto)

*Fuel consumption and emissions will vary depending ondriving conditions/style, vehicle conditions and options/accessories. Source offuel consumption data: ADR81/02 combined cycle.

Edited by God_speed

car designers need to stop copying from each other... why does every new car look exactly the same... like the face you make if you stick your head out the car window at 100km/h+... aerodynamic engineers have a lot to answer for... there's nothing interesting about this design... Nissan tried with the 370z, it has some interesting elements but overall new car design bores me... there's too many rules and everything is done to a formula which means the only flair a designer can add is in the details... which means new cars are too 'fiddly', bits of detail and plastic crap all over the place

take ease of parking, rear vision, pedestrian safety, aerodynamics, luggage capacity etcand fck them right off... that shit is for family cars and shopping carts

I have a feeling this thing will lack road presence in the flesh... kinda the opposite problem to the 35 GTR (average in pics but has real road presence... mainly because its the size of a battleship)

Nick,

Disagree about *all* new cars looking the same, I don't reckon the 86 looks much like anything else except the BRZ... And I saw a red 370Z pull up while I was walking the other day and thought "ooh that looks alright!"

But I agree that regulations and aerodynamics mean that many mainstream cars (generally hatches and sedans) end up looking very similar resulting in designers feeling the need to add too many fussy details.

speaking of a 370Z, those things cost almost twice as much even when 2nd hand...are they twice the car? its the only obvious comparison i can thnk of making other than the hairdresser car that is the MX5..

I saw a red 370Z pull up while I was walking the other day and thought "ooh that looks alright!"

Nissan did a good job with it, they took a few chances which has to be applauded

the 86 is too safe for me... trying too hard to make it look fast... just feels like that Hyundai Tiburon all over again... trying too hard to make it look sporty... needs to look cool or interesting, not the standard definition of what a 'sporty' car looks like... the original was never a looker in the usual sense, but it had a personality... modern cars tend to try so hard to look sophisticated/pretty they lose all personality... have a bit of fun with it

this thing has the 'angry' face on it that every sports car has nowadays... but I bet it struggles to back it up when your in the drivers seat

Nissan did a good job with it, they took a few chances which has to be applauded

the 86 is too safe for me... trying too hard to make it look fast... just feels like that Hyundai Tiburon all over again... trying too hard to make it look sporty... needs to look cool or interesting, not the standard definition of what a 'sporty' car looks like... the original was never a looker in the usual sense, but it had a personality... modern cars tend to try so hard to look sophisticated/pretty they lose all personality... have a bit of fun with it

this thing has the 'angry' face on it that every sports car has nowadays... but I bet it struggles to back it up when your in the drivers seat

I like the styling.

And Nissan also charge double for theirs.

yeah but you get double the power and im betting the weight figures for the GT dont include fluids, battery etc etc

hate to say it but im a little cynical about the toyota, sure best thing to happen for years but they didnt go far enough, at least japan is getting a stripped out club sport version..

yeah but you get double the power and im betting the weight figures for the GT dont include fluids, battery etc etc

hate to say it but im a little cynical about the toyota, sure best thing to happen for years but they didnt go far enough, at least japan is getting a stripped out club sport version..

But what about all the bolt on goodies?

It's at a price where you can easily drop $15k on mods and still have a well priced sports coupe.

Yeah that's nice but why not just sell some with a few extra horses and goodies in the first place?

Also it will be a while before the parts are proven and ready to bolt on by tuners

Yeah that's nice but why not just sell some with a few extra horses and goodies in the first place?

Also it will be a while before the parts are proven and ready to bolt on by tuners

TEIN Australia are already selling coilover kits and HKS have a plethora of aftermarket goodies ready to go.

Also remember that it is akin to the AE86, a driver's car. The little 4AGE never had a million Sarah Jessica Powers but it screamed like a banshee up in the rev range, was light, nimble and was all about using the chassis. There is no need to put in a 206kw 1JZ into it.

I can see where Toyota/Subaru are coming from with the light weight and modest power output; but if the thing struggles up a mountain with a passenger and moderate amount of luggage in the boot I'd say they'd gone a little too far in the low-power direction.

Evo was not very flattering with their review...

You know the worsed thing about it is that unless Best Motoring or Hot Version come back and makes a special edition episode, we wont see Keiichi Tsuchiya driving hard through the touge.

There's really no other show out there that will compare cars like their "Touge Showdown"... If there is let me know!

Really don't get the dislike for this car, it is completely opposite to the R35 for example, but it was not meant to be a 4wd turbo heavy weight electronically assisted box full of trickery. This car was always pegged to be a fun, light, cheap car that could be then be tuned if the owner wanted to, a car that did not rely on ESP, stability, dual clutch etc etc. I wouldn't mind betting the people whining about this thing achieving its goal probably also whinged because the Gtr doesn't have a third pedal, and weighs 1700kgs.. I am not rushing out to buy an 86, but if I came up with an excuse and the money I would be at Toyota.

Understand that more power would be welcome.

But I reckon i would have a ball thrashing one up Macquarie Pass (or similar mountain pass).

Revving its tits off.

REALLY want to drive one.

Like A LOT.

In all honesty Toyota deserve to sell a billion of these things on price alone.

You just know it's going to be a great little car (engine notwithstanding) and to sell them for $30k is worthy of great praise.

Good on 'em.