SAU Community

New Toymota "sports" Car

The old 86 was a shit car too, but people still loved it. give it 20 years, a popular graphic novel and some Japanese people playing soggy sayo around one and it will become the ultimate "Classic"

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeah plenty of good cars aren't popular, and plenty of ordinary cars are popular. often this will simply come down to the amount of styling mods, etc, available and not because the car is nicer to drive than others.

lol plenty of very well-respected journos have staked their reputations on the 86 being one of the best driving experiences of any vehicle released in the last ten years. Hell Wheels rated it higher than a Cayman, which is a BIG call. Some of you guys really need to learn that Skylines aren't the centre of the universe.

Got her about a year ago (the reason I got rid of that fine Legnum you imported for me), been building it up since. GT4202R and Secondary bridgeport http://forums.teameu...php?f=26&t=4194

(This obviously means you have to tell me all about your old Cossie)

But that's not the Japanese car with a 2L engine we're dicussing here ;)

Edited by Hank Scorpio

lol plenty of very well-respected journos have staked their reputations on the 86 being one of the best driving experiences of any vehicle released in the last ten years. Hell Wheels rated it higher than a Cayman, which is a BIG call. Some of you guys really need to learn that Skylines aren't the centre of the universe.

x11ty

They've at least driven the thing! Judging it on paper won't get you far, especially for a car that's been designed to handle. Caymans are great fun IMO, that is a big call to make.

Hope you find one to drive. They say that they're all sold out (could just be marketing drivel, too). I plan on test driving one too, but may end up with the Subaru instead (purely because I have a contact who can get me good deals on Subys). I can't see Toyota wanting to negotiate on them. Yes they're cheap for what they are. Yes, I'm a tight arse who hates paying retail for cars.

Keen to hear anyone's reports on them after driving one (or better yet - owning one)

Edited by warps

Just spoke to Chullora Toyota then. Apparently they will have cars by the end of next week, so I'm booked in for a test drive. I would never blind buy a car, so If i have to wait for a test drive, I'll wait. Don't think I can justify the price of the GTS, the base model sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me. Any idea what the on-road cost for the base model will be?

Stamp duty (2.5% - 5% depending on where you are - see here) say $900

Dealer Delivery - usually $700 - $1000

Rego around $700

So on road costs would generally be in the vicinity of $2500 for something like this. Add any options you go for, plus insurance and you might be approaching $35k all up on a $30k list price. Note you should be able to negotiate something better, but I don't expect them to be very negotiable whilever demand is high.

Edited by warps

so is Subaru going to release something similar???

something has to be wrong with that delivery date, who in their right mind would wait until Feb for the car? Unless you test drove it and it absolutely blew your mind, i see no reason.

something has to be wrong with that delivery date, who in their right mind would wait until Feb for the car? Unless you test drove it and it absolutely blew your mind, i see no reason.

I dunno who would buy a leaf sprung performance car in this day and age? Different strokes for different folks.

For that price, for a brand new car with warranty, perfect body and all that stuff which if is as good as people say it is I'd definitely see a reason.

I dunno who would buy a leaf sprung performance car in this day and age? Different strokes for different folks.

For that price, for a brand new car with warranty, perfect body and all that stuff which if is as good as people say it is I'd definitely see a reason.

Where do leaf springs come from???

Delivery date wise, Toyota Aus are getting 250pm, which means they need 2000 orders to make the waiting list Feb.. Seems pretty likely, and for that reason I expect anyone asking for a better price will be told to go home and think about it while wait gets longer..

As for Subaru doing something similar.. You need to get out from under your rock sometimes.. http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/brz/index.html

Edited by iplen

XR6 is a company car....

So whats the difference between the Toyota and Subaru? simply styling or motor whats the go?

I'm not saying that I wouldn't buy one, simply that I wouldn't wait until Feb for one.

Edited by -FIGJAM-

A mate went into a dealership to order one a few days ago, has been given a delivery time of Feb 2013, so I don't think they're joking ;)

Am in the process of talking the CEO of Toyota Penriff into a nice grey import from Iron Man so he'll pass on the Manager's 86 to me after 25,000Kms

jk