SAU Community

New Toymota "sports" Car

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something we would look at for sure; but it's very low volume compared to the likes of Mazda 3 so wouldnt make much of a dent.

But at that price point there will be plenty of people having a look who would ordinarily not be able to consider it due to price; e.g Maz 3 SP25 buyers, Kia Cerato Koup, Hyundai Veloster, Ford Focus XR5 (no longer sold), etc and potentially a lot of people who wouldve bought a near-new car but could now afford a brand new 86.

Will see what subaru release the BRZ at...

I know Mazda will need to have a serious look at the pricing of the MX-5....the only sales problem I can see with the 86 will be supply out of Japan limiting numbers.

Could also mean the re-release of a reasonably priced rotary coupe?

One can dream!

I think it looks good and is definately priced at an awesome value for a brand new car. On paper it also seems very well balanced and nimble (with weight distribution being so close to 50-50) but im just not sure weather the 110 odd rwkw will be enough to put a smile on my face..

I know Mazda will need to have a serious look at the pricing of the MX-5....the only sales problem I can see with the 86 will be supply out of Japan limiting numbers.

The MX-5 would appeal to a different market than the 86. Most sales probably would go to females, that like a soft top.

I can see the 86 getting pimped out like the CR-X by people in their early 20s.

I read the EVO BRZ article on the plane this morning. For those who haven't read it, a quick summary of what they didn't like / were disappointed with:

1)They felt it was underpowered unless revving the tits off it. Normal driving it didn't have enough torque, specially climbing mountain passes

2)They didn't like the sound, because it doesn't have the characteristic WRX burble

3)It has too much grip, so not an instant slide drift machine as the hype would have you believe. Maybe wet round abouts are a different matter, but on dry roads / tracks it was very hard to get the tail out, let alone keep it out there.

4) The non-performance tyres lacked feel / stability under braking. Not to say the brakes were bad, just the tyres let it down

5) It didn't have the same "fun" factor as the cars it was tested against, ie MX5, Megane 265 Cup, 370Z. The latter 2 were definitely faster and more involving, and more fun to drive.

Bear in mind that in the UK the Megane is priced the same as the BRZ, and the 370Z isn't that much dearer. Compare to the price difference over here and would they have had the same expectations?

Items 1, 2, 3,and 4 could be fixed with some tuning / better tyres. How much would this transform the car? HArd to say but it would have to help. Interestingly, their criticisms of the MX5 (felt it rolled a lot more, and had nowhere the limits of the BRZ) actually made it more fun and involving than the BRZ. Seems the BRZ is a bit sterile - not because it's all electronically assisted driving, but because the sheer grip and stability overcome the available power, and take away some of the chuckability.

Still interested to see some local tests (of either the Toytoa or Suby) and want to drive one. Could be good for a weekend track hack / autocross (where the lack of grip will make it perfect for long power slides). If 15" rims will fit over the standard 86 brakes, then it might even make a decent rallysprint weapon with minimal mods.I will definitely be test driving one when the hype dies down a bit (can't stand talking to over zealous car salesmen - makes me want to punch them)

it's funny how the supposed flaws on the new 86 were what made the old 86 popular (and it's flaws were even bigger). i think the expectations of the 86 were much greater than what was ever going to be delivered and that is where the dissatisfaction is coming from. and now seeing that the price is much lower than expected it is simple to see why it is more of a let down than expected. had the price tag been 10k higher (with spec to match) then i think there would be better much reviews.

im sure with the usual mods this thing will be just as fun as anything. times are changing and we have to accept that.

i can see myself buying one in the future when i could afford a second hand one.. that NA toybaru boxer motor is a weird choice though haha.

Anyone between the ages of 17-45 who buys one of these will be researching just how to prioritise a mod list.

What EVO has done in my opinion, is to highlight the short list of modification times ahead.

Will it be at risk of voiding warranty? Well I think that's pretty evident! Maybe less risk than buying an Alfa!

Anyone between the ages of 17-45 who buys one of these will be researching just how to prioritise a mod list.

What EVO has done in my opinion, is to highlight the short list of modification times ahead.

Will it be at risk of voiding warranty? Well I think that's pretty evident! Maybe less risk than buying an Alfa!

Toyota (and Subie) are expecting owners to modify it. But you raise a good question on the extent to which this would affect the factory warranty.

I also think EVO mag is trying a little TOO hard to be controversial ;) I rate British car magazines about as highly as the tabloids.

I rate Evo UK. I don't particularly rate Jethro Bovingdon though. Prefer to read Catchpole, Metcalfe, Meaden, Harris (when he was working for Evo) and Needell, from the same publication. Evo's much better than the other major UK mag - CAR - in my opinion.

What bugged me though was that they chose (or were maybe forced to use) the automatic. Yes, modern autos are a whole heap better at transmitting power than the equivalent manual, but through Toyota's own admission, the 0-100 time drops from something like 7.6 to 8.3 seconds. In a car where the power is already under question for the manual version, testing the auto is only going to exacerbate this weak point.

The other point to take into consideration is that the BRZ suspension was tuned for stiffer front and softer rear springs, while the 86 will have proportionally a stiffer rear and softer front which should lend itself to a slightly more oversteery character. It will probably be very subtle, but a move in the right direction for the 86 compared to the BRZ they tested, anyway. Subaru apparently did this to dial in slightly more 'stability', no doubt to better-match the rest of their product range which is all about stability and grip.

If they chose the auto, then that explains a LOT.

Spot on about the modifying bit, the rims and tyres, for example, are low rent from the factory -Toyota has kept the price down knowing damn well that most people will bin them at the first opportunity to throw on some aftermarket ones.

For reference's sake, the UK only gets the top spec version, while we get both at prices that look, on paper at least, to be a good deal cheaper than them. Given the money that needs to be spent to meet ADRs, the on-road prices for the 86 are f***ing cheap. Remember that the S15 was $40K when it was released, and that was 11 years ago.

...about the modifying bit, the rims and tyres, for example, are low rent from the factory -Toyota has kept the price down knowing damn well that most people will bin them at the first opportunity to throw on some aftermarket ones.

Owners will probably want to keep OEM parts I think.

They'll think a step ahead and put them back on should they need to fudge on a warranty claim.

Gulp - may I admit that this is what I'd do? ;)

Hmmm - maybe to rationalise; that's what I'd do if I thought a claim was justified!

Now I feel like less of a 'crim'

Don't give a stuff whether the mods void warranty. I want to know whether track time voids the warranty. I'd rather driver a stocker on the track than a modified one on the street anyway.

Yeh forgot to mention the critical bit about the test car being auto. What were they thinking, indeed? I have yet to drive an auto that feels as sharp as its manual counterpart. (Tdi towing vehicles are the only exception, but that's a totally different kettle of fish)

Agreed that motoring journos tend to paint a fairly skewed picture of reality, but it's always good to get some real life feedback on cars, when the only other info available is the marketing stuff the manufacturers spew out..